DreamWorks Land (General Discussion) - Opening June 14, 2024 | Page 68 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land (General Discussion) - Opening June 14, 2024

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I get people being underwhelmed with Minion Land and Dreamworks being the last two new things. I also get that they could’ve done more with KZ -> Dreamworks (and probably wanted to do more, the budget just wasn’t there).

But while we are thinking about this, please also remember that the NEXT addition is an entire new park with five state of the art lands to explore.

Just trying to bring some perspective to this.

I get people being underwhelmed with Minion Land and Dreamworks being the last two new things. I also get that they could’ve done more with KZ -> Dreamworks (and probably wanted to do more, the budget just wasn’t there).

But while we are thinking about this, please also remember that the NEXT addition is an entire new park with five state of the art lands to explore.

Agree - but I don't think a new park should excuse poor/lesser additions to current theme parks. After all, the parks continue to make record profits and will see continued growth with these new additions. Not saying DreamWorks is a lesser addition (it was desperately needed), just mentioning how I don't think we should start excusing additions to USF being lackluster in favor of another park's development.

They did great work with Shrek/Kung Fu Panda, but having it right next to the sub-par Trolls area makes it easy to compare and point out the drastic change in quality.

Again, this is an unattractive way to discredit opinions you don’t like. Using personal details to attempt to dismiss someone’s opinion is a terrible way to engage in an online conversation. You don’t know who I am, because I don’t share personal information online, and I don’t know who you are. I don’t need to. Do you want posters who disagree with you to dig into your personal life to find ways to discredit your opinions?

Everyone here has been a child, most have travelled with children. Children don’t process things the same way as adults, but they aren’t undiscerning and they aren’t stupid. To a very considerable extent, this is one of the reasons places like Universal and Disney exist and thrive - because the details that make them special matter to kids. Yes, children can have tons of fun at a McDonalds playground. That doesn’t mean they can’t distinguish between that and a major theme park.
I am not discounting opinions. I am saying if you are not a kid or don't have kids, it is really hard to say what kids will or will not like. I myself am not really saying "kids will love" or "kids will hate" until I actually witness the lands with kids. By all means say what you do or do not like, what was done cheaply, etc. But to project what kids may or may not like when you are looking at pictures and don't have kids or are a kid seems a little silly. The land from pictures seems to be something my kids will like, but who knows until they see it. Am I disappointed with the pre-show room and just TVs with electrical stuff? Absolutely and I hope they change that. Am I disappointed with no sound on the ride? Absolutely. I can say after riding big bear in DW with and without sound (one train was not working) there is absolutely a HUGE difference? My kids on the other hand were more, Meh, doesn't matter mom. Only one of my kids felt the same as me. But I always keep my opinions to myself so my kids can experience it and see how they like everything. I just don't think people should be speaking for kids.

I actually think the play area in Suess is not that great and not enough to do and half the elements don't work. My kids? LOVE IT and beg to go in every time we are there. So clearly what I think as an adult is very different from my kids.

Agree - but I don't think a new park should excuse poor/lesser additions to current theme parks. After all, the parks continue to make record profits and will see continued growth with these new additions. Not saying DreamWorks is a lesser addition (it was desperately needed), just mentioning how I don't think we should start excusing additions to USF being lackluster in favor of another park's development.

They did great work with Shrek/Kung Fu Panda, but having it right next to the sub-par Trolls area makes it easy to compare and point out the drastic change in quality.

I agree. I heard that a lot when Diagon was in works and Transformers was a stop gap. Wait they have Diagon, it will be amazing, etc. But the bottom line is since Diagon the next 3 additions were F&F (awful), Fallon (OK), and Minion (Meh). They need to prove that they can do decent additions between the big flashy ones. Now in IOA they have with VC and Hagrids, but USF seems to get forgotten about a lot and it really needs help. They also have not seemed to care about capacity since their huge growth post-potter and that is another real issue in both their parks. We will see how Epic effects that.

I don't think Dreamworks is bad, I think it did what it did by upgrading a kids area. I do think it needed a flat and dark ride, but clearly the budget wasn't there for that. But I do think having this area open and new is a plus and I won't down that. We will see how the kids like or dislike it because for better or worse this land was targeting kids with giving parents some entertainment while in here.

Last edited:
Maybe themed slides to logs in the swamp would have made a small difference. The dreamworks pre show room looks really bad, I’m not sure why they didn’t retro fit the set that was there. Other than that, the area looks like a big upgrade from what was there imo.

Reactions: Suchomimus

Plus a HRRR replacement and Pokemon are next in the pipeline for the 2026-2028 timeframe. USF has good things coming. Patience is the key here.

At this point I think we are playing semantics and looking for things to nitpick.

That’s not having a real discussion but instead pointing out flaws they can remedy in the future with a bigger budget.

I would love for them to revisit this area and add another ride to help balance it out.

Just got back from a preview I was invited to and I can say that I am pleasantly surprised! This is a very cute area.

Imagination Celebration is absolutely the standout, genuinely very sweet and fun show and hoping to see an official release of that Move It-Dance Dance remix at the end!

Maybe themed slides to logs in the swamp would have made a small difference.
This would do it. Most complaints seem to be about the bare plastic slides looking like they came right off a playground at any park. Cover those with some log theming, and that goes away and helps add more theming to the area. Now I really hope they do that one day.

I don’t want to watch the show before I go here, is it adult friendly at all? I don’t have kids so not sure if it’s worth it foe adults, although everyone here seems to love it.

This would do it. Most complaints seem to be about the bare plastic slides looking like they came right off a playground at any park. Cover those with some log theming, and that goes away and helps add more theming to the area. Now I really hope they do that one day.
That is interesting they are not logs when several playgrounds I have been to have log slides. It wouldn't even be something they would have to custom order, they exist from Playground Structures. Natural looking playgrounds are very popular right now.

my bad- it’s Wikipedia page says elevator!
There was an elevator under the stage for Barney's entrance, although this would break down from time to time when I worked there (circa 2010-2011). It would not surprise me if they abandoned that completely in the last couple years, as it was a costly effect to keep running. Backstage, there was a small "basement" to the building for this purpose.

You can see the outline here:

1716484820134.png