Donkey Kong: The Movie | Inside Universal Forums

Donkey Kong: The Movie

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I actually think DKs a perfect Illumination IP choice. And shows how successful the Melandandri position is having.

Will not be shocked if we hear Zelda getting a project sooner than later.

I actually think DKs a perfect Illumination IP choice. And shows how successful the Melandandri position is having.

Will not be shocked if we hear Zelda getting a project sooner than later.
Donkey Kong is a pretty good property for Illumination I guess. I just am completely turned off of both of these films already simply by the fact that Illumination is making them. Of course I don't watch most animated movies. I like watching animation that's more high brow (which isn't just me saying Pixar), there are plenty of other good animated movies out there that don't speak to the lowest common denominator. The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, The Lego Movie (the first one), Wolfwalkers, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: jseal777
Donkey Kong is a pretty good property for Illumination I guess. I just am completely turned off of both of these films already simply by the fact that Illumination is making them. Of course I don't watch most animated movies. I like watching animation that's more high brow (which isn't just me saying Pixar), there are plenty of other good animated movies out there that don't speak to the lowest common denominator. The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, The Lego Movie (the first one), Wolfwalkers, etc, etc.

I hear a lot about Illumination being a low class animation studio but can I give some background.

Meledandri, creator and CEO of Illumination has a very specific view on films he wants to create and produce. When Illumination first began, it was not only going to be animation but also live action films and they had the rights to a lot of properties. But Meledandri realized the projects he wanted to create are projects that he and his friends wanted to do and watch and see come to life. So he cancelled the live action division and focused on animation using MacGuff. MacGuff is in charge of all of Illumination's production and every single piece is done in house. That's why so many films have involvement by Cinco Paul, Ken Daurio, Pierre Coffin, Brian Lynch and Chris Renaud (actually all of illuminations film had participation by at least two of these 5 guys, Sing is the only film that was not touched by any of these guys).

The films Illumination are producing/creating are things the staff actually like and fit their humor and style and maybe for us because it's not deep and meaningful we feel like its lowest denominator but for them, its a bunch of friends creating things they like.

Super Mario Film will be the second film that isn't touched by anyone in the main core of Illumination. Matthew Fogel is the scriptwriter for Super Mario and the Teen Titans Go team of Aaron Horvath and Micheal Jelenic also hasn't been attached to Illumination so these product already is going to be different. I'm assuming Matthew will be part of the writing team for the Donkey Kong film one since he is working on the upcoming film and seem to gained favor with Meledandri by being the creator of the story/screenplay for Minions 2: Rise Of Gru.

Last edited:
Am I lame for not hating illumination films??? Like not trying to say they’re above Dreamworks or Pixar, but most movies I’ve seen from them are heartfelt and sweet, good animation, funny, I enjoy them!

Not saying they deserve praise per say, but I don’t get the hate.

Regardless of studio, I’m wait and see on any Nintendo films though.