Donkey Kong Country rumored for USH? | Inside Universal Forums

Donkey Kong Country rumored for USH?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Going to set this up as this feels like a good idea to do so (and to allow SNW discussion to be on what is incoming), but: The Wrap is hearing that Super Nintendo World for Universal Studios Hollywood is seemingly getting a rendition of Donkey Kong Country.

But fear not – we’ve been hearing that Universal Studios Hollywood is already looking at an expansion for Super Nintendo World and a spot has already been carved out for a Donkey Kong-themed area that will include dining and retail opportunities plus a brand-new coaster. (The land will open in Japan in 2024.)

From what we understand, the Donkey Kong coaster could open alongside its East Coast counterpart when Epic Universe is finally unveiled in 2025. (It’d be nice to have more Kong in California.) Corfino was tight-lipped about the possible expansion.

From the understanding of The Wrap's Drew Taylor (who broke out the confirmation of Universal Monsters at EU during the article they published of the UC Executive Departures), Donkey Kong Country may be potentially aiming to be alongside that of the Epic Universe's rendition. This goes back to October, when he and Jim Hill spoke on Donkey Kong Country, and the information there is the same as yesterday.

I think it is more likely DK opens in 2026 at USH if it is a mini land as well. SNW for USH started construction in 2018 and would have been open in 2021 if it was not for COVID.It also begs the question where will they put it and how will you enter? If it was replacing Mummy we would have heard that in the rumor well by now. There also does not appear to be an entrance to DK in this version of SNW. If I had to guess they would put the entrance somewhere along the Panda Express building and there would be a bridge to access the land going over the Tram tour with DK itself going where the soundstages behind SNW are now. Also a while back someone said they were big things coming to USH in 2026 and 2028 leading up to the LA Olympics and DK being the 2026 attraction would fit that rumor along with the Simpsons Ride replacement coming two years later in 2028

I'll just reiterate what ive always been saying. It'll go parallel to, behind of, the mushroom kingdom. im under the impression this hasn't changed. Im guessing they will eventually make an entrance or something that connects it to the main SNW.

Interesting, I guess Nintendo views DK as just as important as Mario Kart. I personally think it sounds all blue sky still but I guess it's much farther along.

Interesting, I guess Nintendo views DK as just as important as Mario Kart. I personally think it sounds all blue sky still but I guess it's much farther along.

I think it stems to something I believe @Alicia spoke of: that NBCUniversal may be contractually obliged or required to incorporate other Nintendo IP that would be included in the original contract. So-far, we only have Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart 8, and Super Mario 3D world as the primary inspirations. Would make sense we eventually see DKC into place into the park.

EDIT: This might actually explain why we heard of Zelda at IOA, because it could be part of the core that is contractually obligated or required down the road.

I'll just reiterate what ive always been saying. It'll go parallel to, behind of, the mushroom kingdom. im under the impression this hasn't changed. Im guessing they will eventually make an entrance or something that connects it to the main SNW.

Did some checking on that, and Osaka's DKC seemingly factors around that of 2.05 acres.

1673104087442.png

The interesting thing is, Soundstages 7 to 11 (the soundstages that you suggest); from the backstage gate currently at Super Nintendo World, if you use that as the connector you get 2.3 acres.

1673104259588.png

Remove the walkway to the potential expansion in-between Jurassic and SNW, and it's around 2.13 acres. More than enough space for a modified Donkey Kong Country.

Last edited:
I think it stems to something I believe @Alicia spoke of: that NBCUniversal may be contractually obliged or required to incorporate other Nintendo IP that would be included in the original contract. So-far, we only have Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart 8, and Super Mario 3D world as the primary inspirations. Would make sense we eventually see DKC into place into the park.

EDIT: This might actually explain why we heard of Zelda at IOA, because it could be part of the core that is contractually obligated or required down the road.

Did some checking on that, and Osaka's DKC seemingly factors around that of 2.05 acres.

View attachment 18090

The interesting thing is, Soundstages 7 to 11 (the soundstages that you suggest); from the backstage gate currently at Super Nintendo World, if you use that as the connector you get 2.3 acres.

View attachment 18091

Remove the walkway to the potential expansion in-between Jurassic and SNW, and it's around 2.13 acres. More than enough space for a modified Donkey Kong Country.
That would mean USH would get a superior version to USJ's if they make it 2.13 acres. If soundstages 7-11 come down or start to come down this year then I can see this possibly opening in 2025 depending on how fast they move. If they start in 2024 however then 2026 will be the date. As someone else mentioned on the SNW forum proper, the theory that Universal wants DK to open in 2024 for Japan, 2025 for Epic Universe, and 2026 for Hollywood does make sense. Though on a side note, if Nintendo has contractually obligated NBCUniversal to add more IP besides Mario to their parks, how will they address adding more Nintendo IP to Singapore? It seems the measly amount space that park has currently will let it get only Mario. Maybe since USS is so tiny Nintendo gave them a pass to just do the Mushroom Kingdom, or since USS is owned by the Genting group and not NBCU directly that makes USS exempt.

Reactions: BriefCasey
That would mean USH would get a superior version to USJ's if they make it 2.13 acres. If soundstages 7-11 come down or start to come down this year then I can see this possibly opening in 2025 depending on how fast they move. If they start in 2024 however then 2026 will be the date. As someone else mentioned on the SNW forum proper, the theory that Universal wants DK to open in 2024 for Japan, 2025 for Epic Universe, and 2026 for Hollywood does make sense. Though on a side note, if Nintendo has contractually obligated NBCUniversal to add more IP besides Mario to their parks, how will they address adding more Nintendo IP to Singapore? It seems the measly amount space that park has currently will let it get only Mario. Maybe since USS is so tiny Nintendo gave them a pass to just do the Mushroom Kingdom, or since USS is owned by the Genting group and not NBCU directly that makes USS exempt.

That I don't know. If anything, trying to find what's currently filming if at all in Soundstages 7-11, as it seems like the current production lists displayed publicly are out of date. It's why I've wondered on a 2025 window for DKC, or even an Early 2026 window like how Hollywood is debuting Nintendo.

If they can get those soundstages by May, and demolish them shortly after; I think Early 2026 is entirely feasible for a Diagon-like 2.5 year build.

Not that there’s any insider info with this part but I think Dinoplay’s current entrance will serve as a hidden/ entrance for DKC if it does go where 7-11 currently sit with the connector possibly lying within Mount Beanpole or the backstage access area. That’s my estimate.

Not that there’s any insider info with this part but I think Dinoplay’s current entrance will serve as a hidden/ entrance for DKC if it does go where 7-11 currently sit with the connector possibly lying within Mount Beanpole or the backstage access area. That’s my estimate.

Part of me thinks that would make more sense to be a secret exit, like how Hogsmeade and SNW have the side exits respectively.

Part of me thinks that would make more sense to be a secret exit, like how Hogsmeade and SNW have the side exits respectively.
While I dont disagree I think it would help blend in the transition between JW with the jungle foliage background to the back of Mt. Beanpole's interior queue receiving sunlight from the outside.

View attachment 18090

View attachment 18091

Not sure you can use Main St. and Kirk Douglas Rd. for DKC. There's a large door behind Dino Play and a bunch of emergency exits doors on the east side of Kirk Douglas Dr. I think those streets will remain streets for access and emergencies. SS 7-11 makes sense with a bridge connecting DKC to the rest of the land like how there's a bridge connecting SNW and Mario Kart show building with an access road separating both.

Not sure you can use Main St. and Kirk Douglas Rd. for DKC. There's a large door behind Dino Play and a bunch of emergency exits doors on the east side of Kirk Douglas Dr. I think those streets will remain streets for access and emergencies. SS 7-11 makes sense with a bridge connecting DKC to the rest of the land like how there's a bridge connecting SNW and Mario Kart show building with an access road separating both.

They have done safety impact reports already for future retirement/ reworking of the roads and mitigating these potential hazards. Not saying that those reports are for DKC necessarily, but it is something to consider.

Last edited:
They have done safety impact reports already for future retirement/ reworking of the roads and mitigating these potential hazards. Not saying that those reports are for DKC necessarily, but it is something to consider.

Part of me wonders, could this be due to also the intensity that will occur in the terraforming and changing of the landscape around the mountain for Hollywood Drift, ontop of DKC at the bottom changing things too?

Makes me wonder if they could change the route of the Studio Tour altogether to help the situation.

Reactions: chris.g

View attachment 18090

View attachment 18091

I don’t see DK replacing Mummy. Even once F&F opens, I think they want to keep the Mummy around for just a little bit longer. I think this is where DK is going to go.

While I agree that this is where it should go, I’m just curious as to why they haven’t carved out an entrance e meant specifically for DKC in the future like Japan did. If we were supposed to get this from the start, then why not Prepare an entrance ahead of time? Maybe they plan on putting it somewhere else? Or they just changed their mind?

Reactions: alias8703
I don’t see DK replacing Mummy. Even once F&F opens, I think they want to keep the Mummy around for just a little bit longer. I think this is where DK is going to go.

While I agree that this is where it should go, I’m just curious as to why they haven’t carved out an entrance e meant specifically for DKC in the future like Japan did. If we were supposed to get this from the start, then why not Prepare an entrance ahead of time? Maybe they plan on putting it somewhere else? Or they just changed their mind?

Could be possible it can be incorporated later on down the line as opposed to being adhering to being present in the immediate sense.