Documentary | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Documentary

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
its just me and my partner (sometimes) as of right now. i am talking to someone that interested in helping though (not monetarily however). His name is Lee Waldrep, he has done a bunch of documentary work and his thesis documentary airs on TV sometimes. I hope to go sometime during December to get the Roddy Interviews (and possibly more). If not for that then definitely for a vacation.

He already answered this...

i didn't read the whole post

--- Update ---

its just me and my partner (sometimes) as of right now. i am talking to someone that interested in helping though (not monetarily however). His name is Lee Waldrep, he has done a bunch of documentary work and his thesis documentary airs on TV sometimes. I hope to go sometime during December to get the Roddy Interviews (and possibly more). If not for that then definitely for a vacation.

yea universal is a tough company, they get very worried that people are trying to sabotage them in different ways

yea universal is a tough company, they get very worried that people are trying to sabotage them in different ways

yeah i realized that pretty quickly after i started doing this. i just wish they would realize that i'm a huge fan and wouldn't want to do anything to put them in a negative light. and neither would anyone involved.

yeah i realized that pretty quickly after i started doing this. i just wish they would realize that i'm a huge fan and wouldn't want to do anything to put them in a negative light. and neither would anyone involved.

if you keep being pushy and have a outline made notarized and signed that your a huge fan etc they may give you some time of the day

Alright I'm going to try to finish this documentary now. If I started a kickstarter would you guys be interested in helping me out by donating and spreading the word to get donations? The money would be used for equipment/crew/travel/food/festivals/etc

did they take your page down? I get an error when I try to view it... any way PM me new time your coming to town I might night be able to help money wise but I might be able to give you a place to stay

did they take your page down? I get an error when I try to view it... any way PM me new time your coming to town I might night be able to help money wise but I might be able to give you a place to stay

If you are talking about the website no I took it down. And I would be hiring a crew and doing it professionally and cant really put people in your house, but thanks!

alright guys I'm setting up and scheduling interviews for the documentary now and have some really exciting ones that I can't wait to share with you guys. (Kong Tram Op's, Jaws Skippers, Ride/Show Programmers, Ride/Show Producers, etc.)

who would you like to see interviewed?

Thierry Coup?
Mark Woodbury?

Butttttttt.......those are the head honchos and would probably be hardest to appear. I think that reinforcing the message that this is simply a documentary of Universal Orlando for Universal Orlando fans by Universal Orlando fans. If you are making a piece which does nothing more than praise their work, I don't see why they couldn't find 30 minutes each to share.

Another interesting one: perhaps a team member that worked their way up from janitor to a higher, creative position? :shrug:

Current higher ups are harder but may be possible. Former higher ups are very likely.

Team members that worked their way up are gonna be way hard to find unless you know of one.

Okay. How 'bout these:

First off, I would die if by some manner you could swing a talk (even by phone) with Potter set designer Stuart Craig! Moving on.....

Ray Keim: Haunted Dimensions, Halloween Horror Nights
Rich West, Designer: The Simpsons Attraction, Halloween Horror Nights
Michael Burnett, Designer: Star Trek Enterprise, Halloween Horror Nights
Alan Gilmore, Art Director: Harry Potter films, The Bourne Ultimatum
Mike Aiello, Show Director: Halloween Horror Nights, Harry Potter
Jason Surrell: Pirates of the Caribbean / Haunted Mansion refurbishments, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
T.J. Mannarino, Director: Art & Design Entertainment Universal Studios
Stephanie Girard, Designer: feature films and theme parks
Kim Gromoll, Designer: Halloween Horror Nights, Disney’s Animal Kingdom
David Hughes, Senior Designer: Terminator 3D, Halloween Horror Nights
Rick Spencer, Creative Manager, Show Development Universal Studios
J. Michael Roddy: Halloween Horror Nights

T.J. Mannarino seems like he would be a great interviewee
[video=youtube;fq8rpPllfRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq8rpPllfRQ[/video]

Pretty much all speakers in this video (includes an former intern that climbed the Uni ladder :thumbs:)
[video=youtube;rrX_Vm7-7xk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrX_Vm7-7xk[/video]

Here's J. Michael Roddy's Creative Efforts Reel
[video=vimeo;8510016]http://vimeo.com/8510016[/video]

.......I take my "With Special Thanks to BJCool" credit now :lol:

Last edited:
Here are a few to look for,

Peter Alexander-Former Imagineer who created Hollywood Kong, Kongfrontation in Orlando, ET, Hanna Barbera, Earthquake and Back to the Future
Tom Reidenbach, Dave Schweninger, and Bob Gurr-Former Imagineers who left to design Kong in LA and the Orlando Project
Bob Ward-Executive Art Director of the Original Florida Project
Craig Barr-Kongfrontation Design Team
Scott Trowbridge-Project director for Spiderman and the Hulk
Douglas Trumbull-Creator and Director of BTTF Ride Film
Larry Lester-Kong Project Manager
Henry Bumstead-Kongfrontation Set Designer
Lew Wasserman-Universal Chairman who green lit huge budgets (30+million) for Kong and BTTF to show Eisner and MGM Studios were not afraid. :lol:

Have you tried to (if there even is one) contact a Florida film board/other Florida gov media agency? IDK why I thought of that but that might be a good place to check out. Like, see if there is a registry of documentaries of all types filmed in Orange County, and how they accomplished their films.

This Attractions Magazine article reminded me that another theme park designer forum is happening. Would any of these people be worth interviewing? I mean, most are from Uni.....

Some of the top creative minds behind Central Florida’s theme parks will gather to talk to fans, answer questions and auction off theme park memorabilia for charity on the evening of Friday, Feb. 24 at the Orange County Regional History Center.

6:30 p.m. Session
Scott Swenson: Director of Creative Services, Bush Gardens, Tampa
Mike West: Executive Producer, Universal Creative
David Hughes: Senior Designer, Universal Art & Designer, Entertainment
Lora Wallace: Show Director, Universal Entertainment Productions
Ron Hines: Sr. Studio Director, Nickelodeon Recreation
TJ Mannarino: Director, Universal Art & Design, Entertainment

9 p.m. Session
Mike Wallace: Designer, Universal Creative
Curtis Hopkins: Designer, Universal Art & Design, Entertainment
Guy Petty: Principal Art Director, Walt Disney Imagineering, Creative Entertainment
Vicki Bowlin: Art Manager, Universal Art & Design, Entertainment
Kenny Babel: President, White Bird Entertainment
Kim Gromoll: Designer, Universal Art & Design, Entertainment

Tickets for the event are $25 per seat, per session. All proceeds from ticket sales and auction items go to the American Cancer Society Relay for Life. To purchase tickets, visit thehistorycenter.org or call 407-836-7010. You can also find updates and more on the Forum’s Facebook Page.

For interviews, I think you could get Adam Bezark. He was on the inside the magic podcast a few weeks ago. He worked on the second version of Jaws and T2:3D.

thanks so much guys for the recommendations. any topics you want me to bring up?

i just won $1500 worth of camera gear and im gonna make this thing happen.