Documentary | Inside Universal Forums

Documentary

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 9, 2010
Charleston, SC
im producing/directing a documentary on universal studios florida and would like as much help from you guys as possible. if any of you have any material you could give. (videos/stills) would be greatly appreciated if i use any of it you will be credited in the finished film. also if you know anyone at universal you could put me in touch with id love that as well.

im thinking it could go many different ways to be completely honest. depending on how the interviews go. originally i saw it as a universal vs disney kind of thing (bringing up points how disney world hides everything and universal is/was about behind the scenes) but now im thinking i want to focus more on the attractions and what makes universal a unique experience.

Deadline:
im in film school and im doing this for my documentary class but i also want to submit it to documentary festivals and local festivals. im shooting mid october ill be in orlando for a week getting whatever kind of interviews i can with current/former employees im getting in touch with. the only person that ive been able to get through to and has agreed to an interview is Brian Brushwood, who performs at HHN almost every year.

Motivation:
ive been going there since i was a child and being able to take the tour of nickelodeon and be part of the audience for there shows and seeing films shot at the park inspired me to pursue a career in film. and its actually going well. im scheduled to work on a feature film in south africa early next year.

A really good reference for making this documentary(if you can find it) is looking at SpencerWork's HHN documentary, Horror Comes Home. It's really well done.

Sounds really cool man, and best of luck with it.

You mentioned your motivation to get into filmmaking as having visited the parks as a kid and seeing the business up close, which is a great personal angle on this being your subject. Have you thought of maybe making this element the central focus on your doc? Just my opinion -- but seems to me if you weaved the story of Universal's history as a working studio that was once intended to make Orlando an East coast Hollywood; touch on the reasons this never materialized (Florida govt not providing as attractive incentives to filmmakers, unpredictable climate wreaking havoc on exterior shooting, lack of diverse terrain for exteriors, etc.); follow the transition out of studio-focus into theme park conglomerate; all wrapped around your personal story from being a wide-eyed kid visiting the studios to a filmmaker who was influenced to follow that path based on the impact of what you experienced on your trips to Universal --- I dunno, seems like an interesting angle to approach it from, in my opinion. :shrug: Having that personal touch could separate your film from being another behind-the-scenes doc.

Like Brian said above, don't hesitate to contact me too if there's anything we can do. I can't help you on connections or anything :lol:, but I came from film school myself and any help you may need on that tip, I'd be glad to lend a hand where I can. Good luck, keep us posted on the project if nothing else! :thumbs:

my teacher even brought up that incorporate my personal story but i don't like being on camera at all. i'm extremely awkward. and i agree that the personal touch linking me to it would be unique. but i just cant be in front of the camera.

i thought about taking that idea and applying it to everyone, how the park was(could have been) influential to future film makers then it became more attractions
thanks for showing interest too guys.

my teacher even brought up that incorporate my personal story but i don't like being on camera at all. i'm extremely awkward. and i agree that the personal touch linking me to it would be unique. but i just cant be in front of the camera.
In that case, maybe narrating the documentary is the way to go. You wouldn't have to be on camera and you could still tell a story. Just a suggestion. :shrug:

I, too, like the idea and wish you the best of luck. If there is anything I can do the help, let me know.

i thought about taking that idea and applying it to everyone, how the park was(could have been) influential to future film makers then it became more attractions
thanks for showing interest too guys.

I can understand that --- being on camera always seems easy until you're actually standing there and lights are in your eyes. Definitely easier said than done. :lol: I had a short film project that was completely written, 80% pre-production complete, even with locations basically secured -- but my 2 prod. co. partners (who were producing) insisted that I play the main part. I fought it tooth-and-nail (and still stand by it, since the part needed a good comedic actor), and based on this contention point it never got made. :lol: But that being said, you could do it solely with still photos you may have of your trip, mixed with narration like Tbad mentioned. Finished off with a long-shot of you with your gear in action - almost literally the "walk-off-into-the-sunset" shot - to show the point of your future forged. BUT, not to harp on it my man :lol: - is your project, I'm sure you've got it locked down. Important thing is - it's your film, your vision, and as long as you stay true to that you can say you did your best.

its good to talk to another film student that loves universal about doing this project. im just going to ask probing questions in the interviews and see what story i can cut together in the editing room. ill vary the types of questions and get enough footage so that i can cut together a documentary of any sort. i think thats the best way to go right now. opinions?

Yeah, that's definitely an approach that could work as well as any. Get as much footage as possible, and let it fall in place in the editing suite. I think that's actually a big part of the beast of making any documentary --- no matter what you envisioned and were hoping to get from it, the reality of the content ultimately makes the film what it is. You're biggest burden is to pull it all together into a thread.

Yeah, you can never have too much film. Especially for a documentary like this, the more footage the better. And like rewster said, all your footage could be compressed into a quality motion picture in the editing process.

Much luck to you on this project. I for one can't wait to see the finished product; love Universal Orlando way too much to miss this lol. Are you going to post it on Youtube(in parts of course) or anything?

what i do with it depends on what comes out of the project. honestly one of the following could happen: it could make its festival rounds, i could end up selling it online, or if i feel its not worth selling but worth watching ill throw up a torrent of it somewhere. it all depends on who gets involved with the project and the interviews i can set up.

im still having trouble getting in touch with universal. the rest of this week we are setting up interviews. and working out the schedule. as of now its a crew of 6 (not including myself) that will be traveling to orlando. and a 8'x10' trailer of equipment. staying in 2 hotel rooms for a week (all coming out of mine and another students pocket).

if we cant get permission from universal its going to make this a very different project. still go there for interviews and b roll. but not being able to set them up in the park or talk to people that still work there wont be good.

they cant stop us from bringing a video camera into the park to get b roll (tourists bring cameras all the time) but we couldn't bring in our other equipment.

I like where you got this going....If I could add my 2 cents it would be this (and you can take it with a grain of salt):

When you do your B-roll (or the whole project that is), pace yourself with time you have as you film each major ride & restrants (If you are filming those too) and don't stran yourself's and rush to get every single ride filmed. You will be amazed how mush detail and information about everything Universal has to offer.

Last edited:
yeah i know. as of a few minutes ago im going to be at the park on friday and saturday making notes of what to get and hopefully to talk to people since i cant manage to get anyone on the phone.