Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Okay, I'm probably the person who suggested that Universal should use gondolas as an inventive way to get from UO North to WnW to UO South. I doubt Universal saw my post and immediately decided upon using them - these systems are becoming popular all over the world lately so they surely would be on Universal's radar - but I don't doubt that Universal looking into them made Disney look into them, or to at least accelerate their usage of them. Not so Universal would cancel plans for a system, but more so Disney fans would see Universal building one and say, "Oh, look, Universal is copying Disney AGAIN!" a sentiment Disney does rely on.

Anyhow, since mentioning it, I've done a lot of research, and then I got into a discussion with Lance from Screamscape about them. I formulated my plan on what I've read and heard. (Lance doesn't buy into all of this, so if I'm wrong on something, it's probably me!)

...I can't post the rest of the quote, due to the amount of text on this

I know you did this on USHForums, and that while I get it..do try to limit your paragraphs to not be as huge as it could be. It took up nearly half of the page itself.

That being said,

1.) With rumors and speculation, there seems to be a possibility that Universal may be going to work with Doppelmayer (the same manufactuer as the Gondolas, and the team for the system in play for HE) for the future transportation system, which could be another version of the Hogwarts Express system, but more in-line to be on the Universal side instead of the Potter.

2.) We don't have a concrete permit to go off of in-terms of a proper layout. But, from what it seems; they are mostly in-line with what the layout of the Gondolas will be. The Monorails won't be DESTROYED, and that this will be a way to shorten the amount of buses on-site so they can have efficiant, and expendable way's to travel to the parks more quicker and more with ease.

3.) Define, Cheap. It's going to be an expensive endeavor, but it's not going to cost them over a billion to implement it (unlike the financial issue that is MyMagic and FF+). There is a lot they will have to do, but with this also being a somewhat easier job than, per-say; making Star Wars Land or Pandora. It's putting the pieces together in all the right way's, and that I wouldn't be surprised that this doesn't launch till Caribbean/Coronado's expansion is finished.

Reactions: jtsalien and Nick
This is what I'm hoping for:
Timetrain.jpg

Last edited:
im not sold this is the most efficient way to transport people

any added way to move people around besides the archaic bus system is welcomed. My favorite way to travel to MK is still the boats over at Fort Wilderness. I'm lucky to be a Floridian, with the ability to drive to the other parks when necessary. I absolutely avoid using the buses at all costs.

any added way to move people around besides the archaic bus system is welcomed. My favorite way to travel to MK is still the boats over at Fort Wilderness. I'm lucky to be a Floridian, with the ability to drive to the other parks when necessary. I absolutely avoid using the buses at all costs.
The buses are definitely no fun, but I do like not having to worry about anything while on their property. They have made some pretty decent improvements to the system between my last stay and our last trip a couple of weeks ago. Coronado had monitors displaying the arrival times for the next bus to each park. If they added that to the TV in the room and/or the mobile app it would be a big step in the right direction.

since parking is free when you stay on site, taking the bus makes no sense when you have a car of your own. Much faster transportation too, obviously.

I could see using the bus if you were planning on getting tanked at Food or Wine Fest, or Disney Springs, which many guests do.

Reactions: Joel
im not sold this is the most efficient way to transport people
If you're talking about for WDW, it doesn't have to be the "most efficient". It simply has to be efficient enough to move people from their hotels to the parks and relieve the buses a bit.

Let's not get it twisted: This is absolutely not meant as a park hopping mode of transportation. It's meant as an alternate form of transport for the ~7,000 guests that stay at Pop!, AoA, and Caribbean Beach to and from their resort.

I wouldn't be surprised that this doesn't launch till Caribbean/Coronado's expansion is finished.
Since CBR is essentially the hub, I can see waiting for that to finish. However, Coronado does not need to be waited on since it will not be a part of this line.

Speaking of buss times, I wish Disney added bus times to the app. I assume they all have GPS at this point. It's what makes the iride trolley actually useful. Guests might spend a bit more in the parks if they are waiting less for busses too.

Reactions: natespf and Joel
Speaking of buss times, I wish Disney added bus times to the app. I assume they all have GPS at this point. It's what makes the iride trolley actually useful. Guests might spend a bit more in the parks if they are waiting less for busses too.
I agree. There was a very short test of it a few years ago, but it never got implemented as a standard part of the app. It doesn't make much sense to me why, however, seeing as ALL bus stops across every Disney resort now have Displays showing the next time a bus for a park or DS will be arriving (and it's almost always spot on accurate in my experience).

Adding a channel to the resort hotel TV for bus wait times would be a nice addition as well.

since parking is free when you stay on site, taking the bus makes no sense when you have a car of your own. Much faster transportation too, obviously.
Depends on your resort and the Park. We usually stay at Beach Club, and it's much quick to get the bus to the front of Magic Kingdom than it is to get in the car park, get a tram, then the Monorail or a Ferry.

I agree. There was a very short tests of it a few years ago, but it never got implemented as a standard part of the app. It doesn't make much sense to me why, however, seeing as ALL bus stops across every Disney resort now have Displays showing the next time a bus for a park or DS will be arriving (and it's almost always spot on accurate in my experience).

I guess it makes sense to be on the App because you then don't have to wait at the resort bus stop for 20 mins. But then again, you'll be at the back of the queue and probably won't get on.

I could see using the bus if you were planning on getting tanked at Food or Wine Fest, or Disney Springs, which many guests do.
It's certainly not faster if you are going to Magic Kingdom (and MK buses are the most common). Also, not everyone that stays at Disney resorts has a car.

Hell, i'm a local and just recently stayed at Port Orleans for 4 days, but we took the bus (or boat to DS) everyday.

I guess it makes sense to be on the App because you then don't have to wait at the resort bus stop for 20 mins. But then again, you'll be at the back of the queue and probably won't get on.
Maybe, but I think they should try to get as much information on the app as possible for guests.

Reactions: Jon84
ALL bus stops across every Disney resort now have Displays showing the next time a bus for a park or DS will be arriving (and it's almost always spot on accurate in my experience).
I just noticed that when I was at ASMu last week. I agree its a nice addition, but having it on the app would be even better.

I agree. MK is the only Disney resort I take a bus to. It's much quicker than using your car and having to get to the parking lot over the lake via ferry or monorail.

Reactions: Jon84

I could see going to MK maybe being faster getting the bus if you're getting dropped off at the front door and don't have to bother with the monorail or ferry and if you leave before it gets too busy.

DHS and AK seem like a no brainer to drive if you can.

We tend to try to stay in the Boardwalk area so we boat or walk to Epcot and HS, bus to MK and AK. I would think bussing to MK definitely has to be faster than driving just because of TTS and all that. Plus with the security changes, I'd assume its gotten even better.

If they added the times to both it would be great, but I swear every single time we go to take the bus somewhere so if they could add a channel it would be up there with best things Disney has ever done. That bus that we need is always the one that just left before we could see the bus stop, if we could see it from the room and know "ok we need to leave now" or "hey we just missed it and it won't be here for another 15 minutes we don't need to rush" would be amazing.

Reactions: Coasted