Disney 1st Quarter 2024 Report | Inside Universal Forums

Disney 1st Quarter 2024 Report

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mad Dog

V.I.P. Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
Feb. 7,2024...Disney had a fairly healthy quarterly report for the overall company. ....... Attendance was up at Disneyland, Shanghai and Hong Kong. But attendance was down at Paris and WDW. WDW didn't fare well though. Revenue was down due to less attendance and less hotel room occupancy nights.....That's the third fairly weak quarterly report in a row for WDW.

Very smart to secure the rights to Taylor Swifts concert film for Disney+, very foolish to have a film slate that's almost all sequels...
Good:
- Eras Tour Disney+ exclusivity
- Epic Games investment
- Sports joint venture with WBD & Fox
- Streaming losses continue to go down on pace for profitability by next year

Bad:
- Nothing on horizon for parks still
- Incredibly bland film slate

The next quarterly report should prove interesting to watch. Much of the Theme Park attendance and revenue increase percentages came from the two China parks. But their numbers weren't true indicators since the 2023 first quarter numbers were up against the 2022 first quarter when both parks were still closed for a good number of days. And, as I said in another thread a few days ago, WDW has some deep hotel cuts very far in advance this year, through Fall 2024 already. 2024 probably looking very flat for WDW unless something changes.

Very smart to secure the rights to Taylor Swifts concert film for Disney+, very foolish to have a film slate that's almost all sequels...

After the last year, I think they may feel they need some old reliables to show they can still make money at the BO.

Reactions: SeventyOne
After the last year, I think they may feel they need some old reliables to show they can still make money at the BO.
Yup, the only thing that really did anything for them last year was GOTG3 and honestly Avatar 2 made over $1B in 2023 calendar year worldwide, but that was counted towards 2022.

When are you gonna actually spend this money you keep bragging about, Bob?

Better start soon. I think Disney's anticipating a 2010 Potter effect again with Epic, namely sucking guests off the increased tourism. But that might not happen this time. It's a different ballgame. Universal is a much stronger brand, with way more hotel rooms than 2010. Plus with three theme parks and VB, the tourists just might not have any time for trips to WDW. Iger better Wish Upon a Star.

When are you gonna actually spend this money you keep bragging about, Bob?

I believe there are a couple of factors holding up things for the domestic parks. For Florida you have a hostile government with DeSantis and the fate of Ready Creek is still being fought in the courts. For California you have Disney trying to get Disneyland Forward approved, and they want to see how DL Forward gets voted on before they commit to any new additions for DLR.

Hopefully real concrete things gets announced at D23 2024. If not, Disney needs to purge their entire leadership team.

Reactions: kristenabelle
I believe there are a couple of factors holding up things for the domestic parks. For Florida you have a hostile government with DeSantis and the fate of Ready Creek is still being fought in the courts. For California you have Disney trying to get Disneyland Forward approved, and they want to see how DL Forward gets voted on before they commit to any new additions for DLR.

Hopefully real concrete things gets announced at D23 2024. If not, Disney needs to purge their entire leadership team.
I think it's very possible this may happen. Not the way people may want though.

Either way, something is gonna have to give. It looks like things aren't looking much better for them on the film side of things, and they literally have nothing on the horizon for their parks. WDW is going to suffer the most with Epic Universe. I don't think people are going to go for Disney and then check out Epic, like they think will happen. People are going to fly in for Epic, and maybe some of them will go to Disney for about a day.

Based on when Iger came back into the picture fully, and likely pausing any and all future projects for review, I suspect this is why the last D23 was more of a blue sky pitch. My hope with D23 this year is that we will be getting some real substantial announcements, with committed plans, concept art, and years expected.

Disneyland Forward should be voted on in May (I think), so if they’ve been working on any plans for if and when that is approved, they could be ready to announce at D23.

I do think Epic Universe will benefit Disney next year, especially as Orlando attendance has been down last year and seemingly this year for both companies. Next year, if Epic pulls in the tourists as hoped, we should see both companies parks increase in attendance. My fear is cannibalization of UOF, and AK if tourists don’t come in droves.

If Disney is smart, they’ll be breaking ground later this year on something, with hopes of 2026 open, for the year after Epic opens.

Based on when Iger came back into the picture fully, and likely pausing any and all future projects for review, I suspect this is why the last D23 was more of a blue sky pitch. My hope with D23 this year is that we will be getting some real substantial announcements, with committed plans, concept art, and years expected.

Disneyland Forward should be voted on in May (I think), so if they’ve been working on any plans for if and when that is approved, they could be ready to announce at D23.

I do think Epic Universe will benefit Disney next year, especially as Orlando attendance has been down last year and seemingly this year for both companies. Next year, if Epic pulls in the tourists as hoped, we should see both companies parks increase in attendance. My fear is cannibalization of UOF, and AK if tourists don’t come in droves.

If Disney is smart, they’ll be breaking ground later this year on something, with hopes of 2026 open, for the year after Epic opens.
That Encanto land for AK was shown on live television. That will probably be the only real thing for WDW announced at D23 2024. As for opening dates, knowing the rate at which Disney builds, we would probably be looking at 2027 for the earliest opening date.

Reactions: Mad Dog
So they're pitting Moana 2 against Wicked? I can already see the disappointing box office for it since parents know it will be on Disney+ by the end of January...

Really starting to question if anyone in the studio understands how the movie business works.

So they're pitting Moana 2 against Wicked? I can already see the disappointing box office for it since parents know it will be on Disney+ by the end of January...

Really starting to question if anyone in the studio understands how the movie business works.

Since Alan Horn left, the studio has been in disarray.

Wickoana, and I’m here for it.

lol

I hope they move it....if they don't then Disney just need new leadership. In Movies you are no longer top dog

Also I assume D23 for Parks stuff but....my god they better blow us away. The parks are what people love and are profitable but the parks are not near as full as they could be and its because of how they are managing them

People way Eras Tour Disney+ exclusivity is a smart move but we don't know what Disney payed for that...
Disney+ lost a lot of subscribers.
No good news for WDW the past 3 quarters (it was probably too cold, wet or hot) and no significant investment in rides announced.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I'll never understand the attraction of singular tentpoles to drive streaming subs - fans are just going to buy the BluRay instead of paying $X.99/month to be able to stream it.

Reactions: tielo
I'll never understand the attraction of singular tentpoles to drive streaming subs - fans are just going to buy the BluRay instead of paying $X.99/month to be able to stream it.
The idea is to get a fervent fanbase (who’s too young to care about physical media) to subscribe for the one show/movie, then count on them to forget they’re paying a monthly fee. People forgetting is essentially the entire business model of the streaming industry (and why things like Rocket Money are actually apps that are taking off).

Disney stock has finally gone back over $100 a share-- still no where near what it was, but a positive outlook on the company from Wall Street.

Reactions: JonsMovies