Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH) | Page 47 | Inside Universal Forums

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have been in the ride... I must say I am impressed with the theming and the preshow... not so much by the actual ride... but definitely an improvement to Shrek and Simpsons...

I haven't heard any comments on the second preshow... I was amazed that the showroom actually rumbles... 

I'm really digging this photo op. Great details everywhere  :D

13904511957_ecd2aec1d6_b.jpg

http://www.westcoaster.net/2014/05/02/universal-studios-hollywood-05022014/

I just have to put in my 2 cents. I rode Minion Mayhem during the annual pass holder preview days. I’ve been kind of waiting to see what other people say about it, but I can hold back no longer!

I think if you like the Despicable Me franchise, you will like the ride. There’s no denying that this franchise is enormously popular and financially successful. That Universal should choose to create an attraction around it is no surprise; in fact, it’s a no brainer.

My biggest complaint is that they chose a ride system that is more than 20 years old, and that has been used by them in at least 2 previous attractions, albeit in Florida. 20 years ago, every other mall had a simulator ride (in fact, even City Walk had one). The Despicable Me ride system is virtually just a step above these old mall simulators. So unless you are enamored with the franchise, there is nothing in this ride to interest the seasoned theme-park-goer.

You would think, to support a franchise this successful, Universal would have plunked down the money to come up with an experience that was a little more cutting edge, a little more unusual. But no, they took an existing outdated ride system and themed it to minions, relying completely on the popularity of the franchise to carry the attraction.

I’m going to compare it to Carsland and Radiator Springs Racers, because it also is a ride and a themed area based on a film series in which I have little interest. I still enjoy a visit there because they built a really immersive area, with an attraction that uses a fun twist on an existing ride system, the climatic race at the end of the attraction.

Minion Mayhem offers nothing new and is light on immersion. All it offers is minions, and I’m afraid that’s just not enough for me. In short, I rode this thing once; I’m glad I did, but I never need to ride it again.

^ I pretty much completely agree with you. I happen to love the Minions, so I will always go on it when I can, but technologicaly, the ride was outdated on opening day. This popular franchise deserved a lot more, especially in a park filled to the brim with simulators and projections. I think it's a step back compared to T23D, except for the facade and SSFL, which are great. T23D always felt revolutionary and overall was an action packed spectacle. It held up amazingly. Despicable Me, with the way it's simulator cars are lined up in a room and are in visible view of each other, is kinda lame (unless you have the perfect seat).