Comcast CEO "Universal will Compete with Disney" | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast CEO "Universal will Compete with Disney"

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My comparison from a company viewpoint lol

Disney

Universal

Wow, I've always kinda thought of the same analogy, except the other way around, with Disney being Apple and Universal being Microsoft- Disney charges too much, and is popular, yet overrated, and Universal, while less popular (by the general public), works on constantly bringing people all of the cutting-edge, innovative experiences, and at a more reasonable price :shrug:

Last edited:
I've been to Disney when its peak season and it never looks as bad as Universal when they are at capacity. I dont understand why they didn't purchase more land at the start. They literally put themselves in a box. Unless they make a tunnel under I-4 to the open plots of land.

^ They did purchase TONS AND TONS of land Mike... they owned everything south of their current location... much of IDrive, all of Lockheed... they owned it all. They sold it, as markets and their one time owners saw it as the best deal at the time. Potter was just a twinkle in the authors mind when those decisions were made.

That said, Comcast may be able to buy some of it back.

^ They did purchase TONS AND TONS of land Mike... they owned everything south of their current location... much of IDrive, all of Lockheed... they owned it all. They sold it, as markets and their one time owners saw it as the best deal at the time. Potter was just a twinkle in the authors mind when those decisions were made.

That said, Comcast may be able to buy some of it back.

Teebin, I am curious of what you'd think about what I just posted in the Expansion thread directly related to this.

Comparing Universal to Apple is an insult to Universal. Apple is no longer innovating. They release new versions of their product year in and year with slight upgrades and the sheep line up to hand over their money for more of the same. A better comparison would be to compare DISNEY to Apple and Universal to Android.

I think you guys are looking at Hate's analogy in the wrong light. What I think he was getting at is that Disney is Microsoft in terms of it being everywhere. It's number one by a wide margin and will always be so. Just like there will always be more computers running Windows. Universal is Apple in that it has a diehard fanbase and provides a different direction than it's PC counterpart.

I think you guys are looking at Hate's analogy in the wrong light. What I think he was getting at is that Disney is Microsoft in terms of it being everywhere. It's number one by a wide margin and will always be so. Just like there will always be more computers running Windows. Universal is Apple in that it has a diehard fanbase and provides a different direction than it's PC counterpart.
See, imo, Apple is more "everywhere" brand right now than Microsoft. Microsoft may be used more on a software level, but Apple is dominating with all of their iDevices and it seems you can't go anywhere without seeing a bunch of people with an iphone out around you. And again, I can bring Android into the analogy again though and throw it all off. I tend to think ANDROID actually has more of a dedicated fanbase than Apple does, but they'll never outright win because Apple is such a giant. There are a lot of people who stick with Apple year in and year out, and that's fine, but going to your last point you made about APPLE being the one who provides a different direction from Microsoft... people are leaving Apple and going to Android for the same reason.

Fresh ideas and innovation, which is what Universal is currently giving us.

I'm not meaning to turn this into some sort of tech war, but Apple can be pretty easily compared to the WDW of today. They are a giant in their respective industry and since Steve Jobs died and new CEO Tim Cook took over (not unlike when Bob Iger took over), innovation has slowed at Apple yet they keep churning out these products year in and year out with little improvements at a premium price. Sound familiar?

LOL at this turning into an Apple VS Micro thread.

Also, I'd think Disney would be the Apple in this situation. Apple is more mainstream, expensive, and over rated then Microsoft (these days). That being said, I love my Iphone, Ipad, and Macbook.

UNIVERSAL
KelloggsFrootLoopsMarshmallowcereal_573.jpg

DISNEY
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Crispy_hexagons.jpg

Disney = Ford Motor Company - they invented the car and they have been around a long time

Universal = Toyota, Nissan, BMW, etc...- they are reinventing the car and making it better and what more people want

Universal right now is LOOKING for ways to be innovative and do new things. Disney right now isn't trying to do anything more spectacular except to bring you under their wing more with M+.

Pandora is a repeat of technology and ride tech we've seen before. Gringotts is something never before seen.

Disney = Ford Motor Company - they invented the car and they have been around a long time

Universal = Toyota, Nissan, BMW, etc...- they are reinventing the car and making it better and what more people want

Universal right now is LOOKING for ways to be innovative and do new things. Disney right now isn't trying to do anything more spectacular except to bring you under their wing more with M+.

Pandora is a repeat of technology and ride tech we've seen before. Gringotts is something never before seen.

It seems the Disney-Universal theme park war is best explained by Ratatouille

Disney - Gusteau's after his death: they are providing guests with the same old thing without the heart that once was
Universal - Remy: they look for innovative ways to tell a story while still honoring the traditions of the past (something goes horribly wrong, etc)
Theme park critics - Anton Ego: they've seen enough of the Stitch's Great Escapes and Monsters Inc. Laugh Floors that they fully expect Universal to provide subpar product... until they surprise them by bringing childhood fantasies such as flying with Harry Potter and helping Spider-Man save the day from the Sinister Syndicate to life.

Reactions: badlactose
Jeeze guys, somebody posts and analogy and a few of you are taking it to the third and fourth levels lol. :focus:

The discussion here is how they plan on expanding the company and competing with Disney given the infrastructure they have. In my opinion it's going to take a huge investment of money that wont have a direct ROI to even think about that kind of competition.

Before a full park 3rd gate opens there will at least be the water park build first.

That is UO's next logical step in giving a 3rd gate with something unique and different to what they have in the parks.

One thing that WDW did WRONG IMO was to theme their water parks to a story and something completely NON Disney. If UO themes a water park and has the likes of Spongbob, DM, and other properties in there, it would be EASILY more appealing to families and kids.

Before a full park 3rd gate opens there will at least be the water park build first.

That is UO's next logical step in giving a 3rd gate with something unique and different to what they have in the parks.

One thing that WDW did WRONG IMO was to theme their water parks to a story and something completely NON Disney. If UO themes a water park and has the likes of Spongbob, DM, and other properties in there, it would be EASILY more appealing to families and kids.
At the same time, they couldn't have done anything all too wrong. Typhoon has been open for 25 years this year and is still the #1 attended water park with Blizzard Beach right behind at #2. Sure, some Disney theming may help attract others that otherwise wouldn't have gone, but it's a water park. During the summer months, especially for those who buy the water park + more ticket option, they'll end up going regardless. There's only so many people you're going to get to go to a water park anyway.

If anything, Disney is Apple and Universal is Android. Disney charges a buttload of money and most of the time there isn't anything new, while with Universal they're always innovating.

How about this,

Universal is Steve Jobs and Disney is Tim Cook :lol:

How about this,

Universal is Steve Jobs and Disney is Tim Cook :lol:

Tim Cook is an operations genius. Same cannot be said about Disney.

Disney's good, but complacent. Universal is under developed and now has an owner that wants to spend spend spend to get it developed. Ta-da.