Classic Monster Reboot - Dark Universe | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Classic Monster Reboot - Dark Universe

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As a huge horror fan, I am disappointed too. But I'm guessing the box office bomb that was Wolfman scared them off of that route.

I have a hard time believing one movie turned them off from taking another stab...at least I can only hope. Having seen the Mummy of the 90's makes me wonder what else they could really do to make it different?

I have a hard time believing one movie turned them off from taking another stab...at least I can only hope. Having seen the Mummy of the 90's makes me wonder what else they could really do to make it different?

True. But I'm sure it at least figured in some of their decision making.

And yes, I agree. How are they going to differentiate this from the '90s version if they are doing another family-friendly adventure? My guess is that it won't be a period film, and the plot will be situated in present day. Which is a shame, since it would lose a lot of its charm.

True. But I'm sure it at least figured in some of their decision making.

And yes, I agree. How are they going to differentiate this from the '90s version if they are doing another family-friendly adventure? My guess is that it won't be a period film, and the plot will be situated in present day. Which is a shame, since it would lose a lot of its charm.

Certainly! I mean there's really not much you can do with a storyline based on a mummy and family friendly. Im starting to get tired of all of the remakes and reboots with the same atmosphere or end game but with different actors.

On one hand this is disappointing because a fun, family-friendly tongue-in-cheek movie will be a lot like the '90's version...also a dark take on a classic monster would be great.

On the other hand, Im sick of everything being dark, "gritty", or some other quality thats supposed to depress the audience lol. We need more Indiana Jones-type action movies in cinema today...the dark, brooding atmosphere is getting overused.

What's the point of rebooting it if it's going to be another family-friendly action-adventure? Just do another sequel.

Needs Brendan Fraser, just get him his coffee. But in all seriousness I think they should leave the franchise alone for now. The first 2 were good and the third wasn't horrible. I rather have an actual sequel than a reboot.

I didn't like any of the Mummy movies. But I do like the ride.

That movie Mama was really spooky. Hope he finds another project worth his time.

Can't take Tom seriously after the Docu on Scientology I watched the other day!

Idk, his personal life shouldn't affect how you view him as an actor. He's masterful at his craft and fun to watch. I'm sure this will be a great flick. That said, I can't wait to see what he brings to this film as an actor.

Idk, his personal life shouldn't affect how you view him as an actor. He's masterful at his craft and fun to watch. I'm sure this will be a great flick. That said, I can't wait to see what he brings to this film as an actor.
It doesn't in as much as it won't stop me seeing the film.

He just comes across as an oddball

Reactions: IOAGuy
Plot Synopsis: “Thought safely entombed in a crypt deep beneath the unforgiving desert, an ancient queen whose destiny was unjustly taken from her is awakened in our current day, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia and terrors that defy human comprehension.

“From the sweeping sands of the Middle East through hidden labyrinths under modern-day London, The Mummy brings a surprising intensity and balance of wonder and thrills in an imaginative new take that ushers in a new world of gods and monsters.”

This reboot is being distributed by Universal Pictures, and will act as the introduction of a brand new Cinematic Universe based on the Universal Classic Monsters.

The film will be directed by Alex Kurtzman, and will star Tom Cruise; Courtney B. Vance; Russell Crowe as Dr. Jackal/Mr. Hyde; and Sofia Boutella as The Mummy.

The Film released on June 9th, 2017. Thoughts on the film? Are you excited in the current direction that they're going? Sound off below.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Classic Monsters, and I've been highly skeptical of Universal's seemingly dead-set desire to turn them into action tentpole franchises, but... I like Tom Cruise, I'm intrigued by the addition of Jekyll/Hyde (not a character traditionally associated with the Classic Monsters from Universal), and the synopsis implies there's going to be at least some degree of genuine macabre and mythological stuff in addition to whatever action spectacle might be included, too. So I'll be approaching THE MUMMY, at least, with an open mind.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I'm a HUGE fan of the Classic Monsters, and I've been highly skeptical of Universal's seemingly dead-set desire to turn them into action tentpole franchises, but... I like Tom Cruise, I'm intrigued by the addition of Jekyll/Hyde (not a character traditionally associated with the Classic Monsters from Universal), and the synopsis implies there's going to be at least some degree of genuine macabre and mythological stuff in addition to whatever action spectacle might be included, too. So I'll be approaching THE MUMMY, at least, with an open mind.

I agree with this tremendously. For any large film like this, its best to be open-minded as possible; but it seems like that it may have enough potential. And from what Russell Crowe spoke today when he was cast, its going to be possibly much more scarier than I think most are thinking; so that's also a plus.

The first trailer was just released yesterday

When I first heard about this 2nd reboot/remake of The Mummy, I groaned. This trailer though, has my curiosity. I'm actually kind of excited for the film now, but cautiously so. My big question is: What's up with Tom Cruise's character? Is he cursed? Is he a monster himself? Either way, June 9th cant get here soon enough.

What are your thoughts on the trailer?

EDIT: Here's a BTS feature which shows some more of the the beautiful Sofia Boutella as The Mummy, and some more of various action scenes (including one between Cruise and Crowe)

Last edited:
I hope this encourages uni to keep the mummy ride (or maybe in my wildest dreams refurb it with cool new stuff:clap:),

weren't there rumors that it might be on the chopping block?