Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Captain EO closing permanently December 6

Mystic Manor opened as an amazing original IP along with a great dining location themed to the era of the ride, which works out very well.

Original stuff can still be built and still sell well if it's executed properly.
But, unfortunately, it hasn't done much to drive attendance, along with their other new E ticket. Great attractions, both of them, but a steadily declining attendance for HK. Of course, there's a few other factors involved in the attendance problem. But the bottom line is that neither of those non IP attractions have brought people into the park. Plus the trip reports I've seen say both new attractions are usually walk ons.

But, unfortunately, it hasn't done much to drive attendance, along with their other new E ticket. Great attractions, both of them, but a steadily declining attendance for HK. Of course, there's a few other factors involved in the attendance problem. But the bottom line is that neither of those non IP attractions have brought people into the park. Plus the trip reports I've seen say both new attractions are usually walk ons.
Well, at least for MM, it's a pretty high capacity ride, so short waits make sense since the park isn't insanely overcrowded like MK or DL.

Well, at least for MM, it's a pretty high capacity ride, so short waits make sense since the park isn't insanely overcrowded like MK or DL.
Myself, I'd like to see some new original attractions, especially the quality and fun of Mystic Manor. It sure sounds and looks great. But every time one of these attractions are built and attendance doesn't jump like crazy, the less chance Disney or Universal is going to build them. :(

I think Original Concepts will make a comeback, but not for another 20-30 years!
Original Attractions are like hot sauce packets at AK. Hard to find cause I took them, but they'll restock them next Thursday.

IPs sell tickets, that is why Uni is not creating original content. That is really the bottom line. I think the age of original IPs is gone and HP was the last nail in the coffin.

well... Uni's tagline IS "Ride the movies" after all.

Are there ANY original rides at Universal? Cannot think of a single one

well... Uni's tagline IS "Ride the movies" after all.

Are there ANY original rides at Universal? Cannot think of a single one
Rip Ride Rocket, Poseidon, Dueling Dragons before they changed the name to accommodate Hogsmeade, same with Unicorn (Hippogriff). Sure not much though since two originals were rethemed to an IP

Mystic Manor opened as an amazing original IP along with a great dining location themed to the era of the ride, which works out very well.

Original stuff can still be built and still sell well if it's executed properly.

Eh, this is different. HKDL is a new park that in no way opened with a full day's roster of attractions. Mystic Manor, along with Big Grizzly Mountain, should have been there opening day. Anyway, my point is we're most likely to see original attractions when they open with a park.

The only company that could afford making original attractions right now is Disney because people will go no matter what and if a new ride opens then it's just a bonus. However it's smart they are going the IP route because obviously it's a bigger push to go to them

IPs sell tickets, that is why Uni is not creating original content. That is really the bottom line. I think the age of original IPs is gone and HP was the last nail in the coffin.

This is a narrow view, lots of attractions without attached IP are coming around the world. What Potter showed is that taking the time and energy to fully integrate an IP experience pays off.

Ok, finally did the short films. The first one I had never seen and seems made perfectly for this stage. It was awesome and with 3D and effects just really could not be replicated at home easily. The other two I had seen, not as tailored made, and just ok. The kids loved the other two though. Overall not bad. If you are in epcot I think it is worth it just for the first short and to hear why they do shorts.

Ok, finally did the short films. The first one I had never seen and seems made perfectly for this stage. It was awesome and with 3D and effects just really could not be replicated at home easily. The other two I had seen, not as tailored made, and just ok. The kids loved the other two though. Overall not bad. If you are in epcot I think it is worth it just for the first short and to hear why they do shorts.
I'm sure it's fine entertainment as Pixars shorts are great, but just like Shrek 4D, I can see watch it at home. Maybe not in the way way they are presenting it at the parks, but still. Epcot deserves so much better.

I'm sure it's fine entertainment as Pixars shorts are great, but just like Shrek 4D, I can see watch it at home. Maybe not in the way way they are presenting it at the parks, but still. Epcot deserves so much better.

Agreed. It doesn't belong in Epcot and I am hoping this is a temp thing until they redo that whole area. However, my point was if you are in Epcot it is worth seeing the first short film. I was highly impressed with the 3D of that movie along with how well it fit into a theater show. My personal opinion is that one was made for a theater like that. I wouldn't mind seeing a longer version of that somewhere in the parks. It was really good and everyone seemed to enjoy it in the theater. I honestly was not going to see the shorts, but our family was with us and they wanted to go. My friends coming at the end of April and they also want to go. But it was not something I was going to do on my own. But my opinion changed a ton after seeing it. I do think it is a must see at least once.

Again, not the right park, and hope it is temp. But once they replace it I think this would be a good addition to DHS if they give a longer version of just the first. Maybe a little mermaid replacement. I haven't seen the first anywhere, I was going to try and look it up and see if it is out there. But without 3D I don't think it would work as well. They don't need the interactive theater part. The 3D alone made that movie.