Captain EO closing permanently December 6 | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Captain EO closing permanently December 6

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That is just ughhhhh. Most of these are available through Netflix!!!! Say what you want about EO but atleast it was an original show you'd have to go to Epcot to see (YouTube aside). They're just closing attractions just to close attractions, plain and simple. These cheap replacements are gonna bite them in the butt

I imagine more people will go see this than Captain EO. But can we all reflect on the fact that Disney is changing a show over in a months time? I mean the old Disney would have shut the show down, played around for 6 months, then re-opened it with barely any changes. Wonder what got up their butt to change this over so quickly? Maybe capacity for when Frozen opens? I imagine numbers have been low for Captain EO.

I imagine more people will go see this than Captain EO. But can we all reflect on the fact that Disney is changing a show over in a months time? I mean the old Disney would have shut the show down, played around for 6 months, then re-opened it with barely any changes. Wonder what got up their butt to change this over so quickly? Maybe capacity for when Frozen opens? I imagine numbers have been low for Captain EO.
Capacity will be a big problem. More attendance due to Frozen and Soarin closes for a fairly long refurb. And Frozen will be relatively low capacity but very high demand. You will probably need to get your fastpasses at the 60 day midnight mark if you don't want a long standby line.

I love Captain EO, as you can tell by my avatar. I've been a lifelong fan of Michael Jackson and Disney's theme parks so the fact that those two worlds collided when I was a kid left a huge impression on me. It was, at the time, a truly groundbreaking, magical experience and I love that it's been back in the Magic Eye theater for a few years now for the pure nostalgia.

Now, as much as I love it, I still didn't comprehend how Disney could leave it there for so long when they churn out shorts and full-length features year-round yet had zero priority to create any kind of new film attraction to replace it. Instead, we get those same shorts that we either own or already have easy access to playing instead. Imagination, indeed.

Reactions: Cole
I don't have an issue with a venue for showing off short films and their importance or historical meaning, but there's a park for that and it isn't Epcot. It's a worrying trend of each park becoming like the others.

Reactions: MrRoamer
I don't have an issue with a venue for showing off short films and their importance or historical meaning, but there's a park for that and it isn't Epcot. It's a worrying trend of each park becoming like the others.
DAK has stayed unique and actually keeps getting more-so.

The only shorts that might make sense thematically in Future World is probably BURN-E, Lifted, and La Luna. Let's see what they actually decide to go with.

I'm trying to understand this, so sorry if this is a dumb question. But are they replacing this attraction with a theater that shows movie shorts that are already out on DVD? And nothing else? So you just walk into the theater watch a little 5 minute movie and then walk out?

I'm trying to understand this, so sorry if this is a dumb question. But are they replacing this attraction with a theater that shows movie shorts that are already out on DVD? And nothing else? So you just walk into the theater watch a little 5 minute movie and then walk out?

From my understanding, the pre-show room will show some behind-the-scenes of the making of the shorts. Then you proceed to the main theater where you watch the shorts which will likely utilize some of the in-house effects already in the theater. We don't know if the shorts will be edited together or will rotate and you watch one at a time.

But either way, this is the same Disney that's passing off a DVD bonus feature as their Frozen show in what.. every resort worldwide? This is just to help with capacity during the busy Christmas/New Year's week and I guess when they get slammed by the next boozy festival and Frozen ride.

From my understanding, the pre-show room will show some behind-the-scenes of the making of the shorts. Then you proceed to the main theater where you watch the shorts which will likely utilize some of the in-house effects already in the theater. We don't know if the shorts will be edited together or will rotate and you watch one at a time.

But either way, this is the same Disney that's passing off a DVD bonus feature as their Frozen show in what.. every resort worldwide? This is just to help with capacity during the busy Christmas/New Year's week and I guess when they get slammed by the next boozy festival and Frozen ride.
To your point about capacity... the problem with EO is no one wants to do it. It's basically wasted space. And with Frozen not yet open and Soarin' going down, Epcot needs all the help it can get capacity wise.

going off of the whole short thing made me wonder what would happen if a theme park showed full length movies movies that could only be seen in the park would that work or is it just too weird of an idea. a good example would be say they finally make a deltoro haunted mansion movie and show it in a haunted mansion expansion. where you can then ride the ride after the movie or skip the movie completely if you want

going off of the whole short thing made me wonder what would happen if a theme park showed full length movies movies that could only be seen in the park would that work or is it just too weird of an idea. a good example would be say they finally make a deltoro haunted mansion movie and show it in a haunted mansion expansion. where you can then ride the ride after the movie or skip the movie completely if you want
Captain EO was sort of a try at that. It aged poorly though.

Full-length? Doubt it. These parks want you out and about the park and spending money which is why, if they can help it, you're not stuck in line waiting for 2 hours. Hence the creation of FastPass, Express, MyMagic+, etc.

Most of these are available through Netflix!!!!

We have most of these available on Sky TV On Demand in the UK. Not worth visiting in the parks unless you are desperate for Air-Con

Netflix has a "short film" collection already up that has 15(?) shorts with a quick 2-3 minute opening behind the scene skit before hand. So it sounds like..they are going to just play that in random order?

Terrible Idea. I could see maybe doing this in Hollywood Studios as it matched the theme, but I wouldn't really call this an attraction at all, unless they do add some "special effects" to the shorts....but even that seems kind of silly, and almost disrespectful to the original artists that made these films.

Netflix has a "short film" collection already up that has 15(?) shorts with a quick 2-3 minute opening behind the scene skit before hand. So it sounds like..they are going to just play that in random order?

Terrible Idea. I could see maybe doing this in Hollywood Studios as it matched the theme, but I wouldn't really call this an attraction at all, unless they do add some "special effects" to the shorts....but even that seems kind of silly, and almost disrespectful to the original artists that made these films.
The shorts will be 4D per the parks blog from what I remember.