Bands, Brew, BBQ 2014 | Inside Universal Forums

Bands, Brew, BBQ 2014

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So these bands either don't want to lose fans and they mess up someone else, or they didn't do any past research on any of this and all of a sudden one documentary they believe without any questioning opens their eyes. With all this support for Blackfish, I wonder if Seaworld could do the same with their own documentary. Oh wait, they already have several.

I knew about barenaked ladies but surprised about heart. Willie Nelson could very well really be bbecause his band was in an accident and couldn't play anyways.

I haven't seen blackfish yet but was it really that bad to have people cancelling shows?

I knew about barenaked ladies but surprised about heart. Willie Nelson could very well really be bbecause his band was in an accident and couldn't play anyways.

I haven't seen blackfish yet but was it really that bad to have people cancelling shows?

From what I heard its pretty bad but also only shows one side. Im working on downloading it now so I can see for myself.

It was an interesting movie (sold out theater!). SeaWorld backed out of their planned on camera interviews with the film crew, so of course it is only one sided. Not really a big deal as documentaries, by their nature, tend to lean one way or another. Some of the stuff like the small holding tanks or lying about animal facts to guests can't really be argued.

Anyway, it is not like this is a new issue, it is just that sometimes it takes a movie or other big action to get the general public involved, instead of just the fringe groups. I personally am a SWO/BGT annual passholder and love the parks, but I don't deny they could work on some areas. I am sad to see the concerts cancelled, but at the same time it might bring more awareness. It is a sticky situation.

Last edited:
I'll have to check it out. I know they aren't absolutely faultless but for the most part I do think that Sea World does a pretty good job of taking care of the animals.

I really find Willie Nelson bailing out interesting. He played there in 2011 and if I'm not mistaken just had to cancel most of his tour because of an accident involving everyone in his band except him. To me it sounds more like an he is taking the opportunity to make himself look better.

By next year everyone will have forgotten about blackfish, in any case, I was in seaworld last friday and there was a good crowd of people :)

It was an interesting movie (sold out theater!). SeaWorld backed out of their planned on camera interviews with the film crew, so of course it is only one sided. Not really a big deal as documentaries, by their nature, tend to lean one way or another. Some of the stuff like the small holding tanks or lying about animal facts to guests can't really be argued.

Anyway, it is not like this is a new issue, it is just that sometimes it takes a movie or other big action to get the general public involved, instead of just the fringe groups. I personally am a SWO/BGT annual passholder and love the parks, but I don't deny they could work on some areas. I am sad to see the concerts cancelled, but at the same time it might bring more awareness. It is a sticky situation.

What do you mean by lying about animal facts?

It's funny, the animal they get the most criticism for, Tilikium, is one of the ones they rescued from a cruel holding facility. Why is everyone attacking Seaworld and their holding tanks, when they are one of the if not the best aquariums out there, yet no one is bothering to speak up against places like Miami Seaquarium. Seems like people are too lazy to do research against places that are actually doing injustices to these animals, and they would just rather hop on the band wagon against Seaworld.

Tilikium, is one of the ones they rescued from a cruel holding facility.

Hmmm... if only they had all three choices...

A. Clean prison
B. Very dirty prison
C. Pacific Ocean or, if not, euthanization

I just watched one of those Jeff Corwin shows a few weeks ago, where such an org was rescuing young sea lions because they were starving to death. The reason for their starvation was that there are not enough fish in the sea on which to feed. The org fed and rejuvenated the young pups until they were healthy and strong, then released them right back into the same ocean in the same location that there aren't any fish to eat. Seemed cruel to me, go figure.

Not to get political, but just keep this in the back of your mind. Think about all the people that vote in elections and then parallel that with the backlash SeaWorld is getting over this 'documentary'. Now go cry in a corner. :welcome:

Nor mine. I think they're great parks that generally take pretty damn good care of their animals. And who's to say that releasing Tilikum back into the wild after a lifetime in captivity is any more loving than taking care of him in captivity? I'm no marine biologist or orca expert, but would Tili be able to survive on his own now?

Seaworld and the Busch parks need a bunch of love and investment into them to bring them up into absolute tip-top shape, but I think they're wonderful parks and just as worthy of tourist/enthusiast dollars as any other park. And Blackfish was absolutely disgusting. It was a sensationalist farce cooked up by the director to get herself on the map. Blackfish is no different than any Michael Moore or Morgan Spurlock documentary: fascinating content spun "just so" to generate sales.

The only show I wanted to see was REO and so far they haven't jumped on the BANDwagon. At this point, it seems like whoever doesn't cancel will get a ton of bad publicity, right or wrong. It's almost a no win situation.