Avatar 3 (2025) | Inside Universal Forums

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Avatar 3 (currently rumored to be subtitled The Seed Bearer) is scheduled to release on December 20, 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfGlass
Anyone who actually believes there is a 9-hour cut of this movie that isn't an assembly cut is deluding themselves.

I haven't read the article, but it strikes me as being very likely somewhat clickbaity.

I suspect Cameron may well have nine hours of rough assembly "footage" -- including multiple takes of the same material -- and given the leeway that performance capture allows you in terms of selecting angles in post, he might want to get all that footage finished in terms of effects before selecting which specific takes and angles he wants to use in his theatrical cut.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
I haven't read the article, but it strikes me as being very likely somewhat clickbaity.

I suspect Cameron may well have nine hours of rough assembly "footage" -- including multiple takes of the same material -- and given the leeway that performance capture allows you in terms of selecting angles in post, he might want to get all that footage finished in terms of effects before selecting which specific takes and angles he wants to use in his theatrical cut.
This is the quote that people are running with from Jeff Sneider on a Collider podcast. The timing definitely feels like they were trying to take advantage of Avatar being in the news and break a "story" that hasn't even yet been corroborated so that their podcast would get media attention.

"Someone reached out and said Cameron handed in a cut of Avatar 3 last week. The cut was, no joke, 9-hours long. And apparently, he's insisting on doing the VFX for this cut, so that all 9-hours get fully VFX'd, then he'll cut it down. Rather than figuring out what he wants and having them just do the VFX for that. That's what I heard."

I do believe that 9 hours of footage exists, but now that I think about it for more than two seconds, it makes sense that a lot of it would just be duplicate footage (meaning a ton of the same shots so he can find the one he likes for each scene). Also, when he says VFX for the whole 9 hours, I believe that too, but it won't be fully rendered. It'll more than likely be just enough so Cameron can get a sense of what each scene actually looks like since TWOW was pretty much 95+% CGI.

Avatar 3 delayed a year to December 19, 2025. I had heard of this as a possibility as Cameron is taking his time finishing up the third movie and wasn’t going to make the 2024 deadline.

At this point, it's newsworthy when an Avatar movie doesn't get delayed.
I mean, one just came out last year so it's not like we're talking about some fantasy project. The fact that Cameron is a perfectionist makes it impossible for dates to be able to 100% be relied on - 2025 seems like it's just giving Cameron that extra time to make sure the movie looks as good as possible. These are not your average movie. These movies have very few human characters in them and probably 95% of what is on screen throughout the movie is computer generated. Taking time on it is not a bad thing. Putting a release date on any Avatar movie besides Avatar 3 is ridiculous imo at this point.

As for Avatar 4 & 5... those getting delayed is pretty much not even news bc of the WGA strike and the fact that only a very tiny amount of movie was filmed for Avatar 4 during shooting of Avatar 3 to make sure they could get the footage they needed of Spider at a younger age before the time off between shooting.