After-Hours Magic Kingdom Event | Inside Universal Forums

After-Hours Magic Kingdom Event

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

IzzyB

V.I.P. Member
May 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
Looks like Disney is trying any way to make an extra buck. They are going to be adding after hour tickets where they only let 3000 people in and charge them something insane like $150 per person for these tickets. Will people buy them? I am sure some sucker will :)

Several have compared this to the free DVC event held several weeks ago. If it retains the same format (minus fireworks) then this will not be a good deal.

It'll probably be a test phase. If it's successful they'll get rid of the Free Extended Late Hours for on site hotel guests.

Agreed this is a test run for something. 3k guests (IF they sell out) x $150 = $450k to keep park open an extra 3 hours and run buses/monorails 2 hours beyond that. That can't be a very large profit margin.

This seems like a test for a crowd reduction. It's giving people a choice of day tickets or night tickets. Taking people from day to nights with the benefit of less lines. Also giving them more money with a 2nd group of tourists.

If they let the after hours ticket people in at 7pm while the park is still open to regular guests how will they differentiate between the 2 groups for who gets to stay late and who doesn't?

Agreed this is a test run for something. 3k guests (IF they sell out) x $150 = $450k to keep park open an extra 3 hours and run buses/monorails 2 hours beyond that. That can't be a very large profit margin.
If it's a quick sell out, then those numbers could be significantly increased, both amount and capacity. My guess is they want to see how strong the demand is. Kind of like they did with the Villains Party at the new DHS theater. They increased the cost significantly after the initial success. But this is bigger and something they could do at all four parks. It would probably work well at AK with all the new night stuff and Avatar opening. Night only AK special ticket could probably accommodate 7,000 to 10,000 and still be uncrowded, and then just limit it to two or three sections of the park.

This seems like a test for a crowd reduction. It's giving people a choice of day tickets or night tickets. Taking people from day to nights with the benefit of less lines. Also giving them more money with a 2nd group of tourists.

If they let the after hours ticket people in at 7pm while the park is still open to regular guests how will they differentiate between the 2 groups for who gets to stay late and who doesn't?

This would work the same way as any special event works. You get a band and if you don't have a band you get kicked out. This is nothing new for Disney and has worked well in the past.

Keep in mind operating costs will be way lower for this event as not all attractions or food places will be open. They can probably cut down to 1 tram after a certain period and 1 monorail on each track. The buses will probably be much more limited too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog

This is a test to make money. Period. They have tried night tickets before and Epcot use to after 4pm pass for a long time. This is to take away a money drain in the company to replace it with a profit center.

Secondly, E-Ticket Nights and other events use a wristband system. You get your wristband and then show it to CMs at the entrances to attractions. Soon after closing CMs will sweep and gate off anyone without a band on.

This sounds like a huge rip-off. $149 for what's essentially free if you stay on-site. But if they decide to phase out EMH for this instead, I probably won't stay on-site again. EMH is the biggest perk for me to stay onsite at Disney, the same way Express is at Universal (but less so).

This sounds like a huge rip-off. $149 for what's essentially free if you stay on-site. But if they decide to phase out EMH for this instead, I probably won't stay on-site again. EMH is the biggest perk for me to stay onsite at Disney, the same way Express is at Universal (but less so).

Well not really. It is limited to 3,000 people. If you stay onsite there is more than 3,000 of you. I don't know if this will phase out EMH, but my guess is that it will not since right now this is only MK. I think this is more of a test to grab more cash than take away benefits from on-site people. Especially all the other tests they are running like closer parking up charge. All of this seems a way to make more money.

Yeah, unfortunately, I would bet that this is what the test is for. I've been reading on the Disney sites for the last couple of years that Disney wanted to get rid of extra magic hours.

Reactions: JoeCamel
All of this seems a way to make more money.

Well, obviously. It's blatant. But I just feel bad for the fanbase who thinks Disney is run on "magic" and not cold hard cash. I see them becoming Dis-enchanted with every recent announcement (and that's not including the stuff that doesn't have to be announced... like prices rising on menus, hotel rates, souvenirs, etc.)

Reactions: Mad Dog
Well, obviously. It's blatant. But I just feel bad for the fanbase who thinks Disney is run on "magic" and not cold hard cash. I see them becoming Dis-enchanted with every recent announcement (and that's not including the stuff that doesn't have to be announced... like prices rising on menus, hotel rates, souvenirs, etc.)

Meh. Anyone who doesn't realize all these theme parks are out to make money and are a business is pretty silly and their bubble was going to be popped at some point.

Reactions: Jon84