A Celebration of Harry Potter - Hollywood? | Inside Universal Forums

A Celebration of Harry Potter - Hollywood?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 7, 2013
Hi y'all. This was brought up by a few Orlando people and I figured it would make an interesting discussion here. Do you think A Celebration of Harry Potter could come to USH in the future and work as a sort of coast to coast event? While USH does have space limitations, I believe if they were smart about how they used different venues it could work. HP is the most successful film franchise behind Marvel's CU so I don't think there would be a lack of locals who would be interested in this. Maybe have it as a joint event with Warner Bros. Studio Tour down the street? Who knows... what do you guys think?  

Here's a fast mockup I did of what the event could look like. We would see the Globe Theater, Castle Theater, and Universal Plaza as the main venues for all activities. 

16412731072_f782409619_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's quite obvious that I'm all in favor of this.

If they did bring the event here, it would definitely have to be scaled down. That's not to say that I think it'd be impossible. My only concern is if our park can handle an event on this scale, especially when Orlando is still working out kinks in their event with two full-sized parks. The Transformers event held in our park proved to be manageable, but Potter crowds are an entirely different beast.

If I had any say in what they did for our park, I would essentially include the same things featured in the mock-up made above. I would have the Exhibition and any signings held in the Globe Theatre. The shows, Q&As, and wand demonstrations can be held in the Castle Theatre and/or the Animal Actors space. They could also spread some of those shows/gatherings to Hogsmeade itself, possibly utilizing the Triwizard Spirit Rally stage. They could even implement a Harry Potter marathon in the CityWalk AMC Cinemas, not unlike what they did in CityWalk Orlando during the opening week of Diagon Alley.

^ Yes yes yes to all of that. :)

It would definitely need to be scaled down, considering Orlando has two full parks and two full lands. Potter fans come in droves.

But as a massive Potter geek, I'd be down for any kind of celebration, big or small.

Reactions: William
Orlando is another story but no way in hell would the WB studio tour do anything at USH considering they are competitors actually visible from the park and also have their own Potter exhibit. (which is already mind-bending to think about)

Do we think the Harry Potter events will last until 2017? I'm guessing the park's going to want a year to accommodate first year crowds before tackling an event with the scope as this.

I think some sort of smaller event could happen in our park, though I think 2017 would be more probable. Even if the specific "Celebration of Harry Potter" event doesn't last until then, there could still be something on a smaller scale under a different name.

Reactions: Allen The Actor
I think this should be a must.  But I can see it not being handled properly as USH has many failures behind its belt...anyone remember Power Rangers?

These poor actors must like the cash, but I can imagine they are getting tired of Universal events.

The recent fan events USH has held (SpongeBob, Transformers, etc) have been pretty successful

I don't think you can compare Power Rangers and the worldwide mega hit that is Harry Potter ;) Even if they do a tiny event where they simply invite Potter fans to come in costume to meet each other and sell some extra merchandise, it would be a mega hit. And as a mega Potter fan, I can't wait!

LA Potter Fans are quite a breed, lemme tell ya ;)

^ The Transformers event was pretty weak. Definitely not worth the sticker price. I'd hardly call it successful.

It was still a mild success. I'm just putting it into perspective that Potter, no matter how big or small the event, will be a huge success. As a massive Potter fan who would love to go to the event in Florida but cant, this will be amazing, no matter how small or big. And there are hundreds of thousands like me.

It was still a mild success.
Did you go? The park was empty.

Point is, I wouldn't want to attend the event's first year. Chris is right; Universal has a rocky reputation when it comes to crowd control in the last decade, and I'd hate to be among the guests to experience their lack of organization head-on.

Perhaps they'll have their ducks in a row before then, but I'd be weary of any large-scale event that hasn't gone through the wringer.

I had friends who went. They still said the event itself was good.

MY point is, a Potter event would be successful in any form or capacity. If they make it a smaller event the first go around to test the waters, I think they'll be fine. It might be a bit hectic, but I'm sure they could make it work.

Okay... time for some east coast input on this because, no offense, but I got a few laughs while reading this..

First of all, I need to point out that the Potter Celebration event is actually quite small. While yes, Universal Orlando is made up of two parks, you have to remember, this event has always been held within one park. Prior to this year, it was only held in Universal's Islands of Adventure. This is only the event's 2nd year, however they did a similar event for the final movie bluray release (minus the Potter Expo).

Potter Celebration:

- 1 stage (panels, wand combat etc)

- Expo (inside Soundstage 33)

That's it. It just seems like the event is bigger just because Potter nerds book up the hotels instantly & there are now two Potter lands. The event itself is not on the same scale as HHN, Grinchmas/Macy's, or Mardi Gras (which has decreased over the years). I tweaked Zero's event map mock up a little bit:

Y0DiQKi.jpg

Orlando will still have the Potter Celebration for at least 3 more years, it brings in money. One of my friends & I were talking the other month about while the event is rather small in Orlando, he expects them to expand it a little over the next 2 years (like any event at the park).

To be honest, despite how fan events may have been handled here before, I'd say Potter Celebration could work here on the same scale as Orlando. While yes Orlando has the space, they don't utilize it to its full potential (probably never will). Obviously an event like this would be a total nightmare with the crowds it'd most likely draw in. The fact that you have the Castle Theater, Globe Theater, & Universal Plaza to utilize, it helps spread things out a bit while still remaining close to WWOHP itself. Due to WWOHP having limited space, having anything extra going on inside Hogsmeade would be a total "no go'. If they wanted to spread it out even more though, Animal Actors theater, Moulin Rouge space could be utilized (exclusive Potter banquet perhaps?). And yes, a Potter movie marathon of some kind would be wise.

The main problem with dreaming about an event like this is that we have no idea what the park will be like come next year, or more importantly 2017..... As we have seen already, we were thrown off-guard by the demise of House of Horrors & SS28. So who knows what random changes to the park they'll throw at us over the next 2 years & beyond.

whew... long post was long.. I think I covered everything though (still half asleep)..

Nah... I'm fully aware of the Potter fandom.. I saw nightmare that was opening day of WWOHP... Orlando's event though is small, which is surprising for something that brings in as much as it does. I also forgot to mention that the Potter Celebration is only a 3-day event (well 2 1/2 day). While USH is a smaller park, I'd say the best way to execute Potter Celebration here is the same way I wish Disney Hollywood Studios (soon to be renamed) would handle Star Wars Weekends and spread it out park-wide, or in this case "Upper Lot-wide".

Obviously not everyone loves Potter, so during the 3-day event they will need to be able to enjoy the park as well. With the current set up of the park right now (minus the construction obviously), here is my rough addition to what I posted above:

Universal Plaza - House meetups & fan interaction

Globe Theater - Potter Expo (autographs, photo-ops, sorting hat, etc)

Castle Theater - Panels, Special Effects, Wand Combat, Beauxbatons, Durmstrang

Animal Actors - Magical Creature related something? I don't know.. Orlando has minimal offerings, so Potter nerds add input on feasible entertainment

Moulin Rouge - Great Hall Potter Banquet (either everyone or onsite hotel guests only? reservations only?)

I still have yet to see Animal Actors here so I don't know how full the shows get, but I do know the Special Effects show was hilariously empty with people leaving during the show when I saw it :lol:  If the AA theater could be used as well, that'd be another venue. They've only had it for 2 years now, but Potter celebration is successful on the east coast, I would be very surprised if they didn't do it in some form here once WWOHP is open.

Nahhh nahhh.....

Anyway, I don't care in what form and format it comes to Hollywood, I'd just love an official event, big or small, where I can bond and have fun with fellow Potter FANS and FANATICS, who are more than just regular nerds. Our passion for this groundbreaking and phenomenal world is unbreakable.

Reactions: William
^For a "fan/fanatic", that didn't exactly add input/expand upon what else you'd want to see from an event like this haha. Universal does read the fan forums, so expressing specifically what you'd like to see from something like this is always good. Just saying "anything is fine", is how you end up with something "meh". lol