1998 Universal Studios Hollywood Travel Brochure | Inside Universal Forums

1998 Universal Studios Hollywood Travel Brochure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

BruceTheShark

Contributing Editor
Feb 12, 2013
Los Angeles, California
This is the Universal I grew up loving. My dad found this in perfect condition recently, I figured I'd scan and share it.

Scan0005 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0006 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0007 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

photo by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0008 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0009 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0010 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0011 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0012 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0013 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0014 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0015 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0016 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Scan0017 by Bruce A. Babcock, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I will miss both ET and Back to the Future. At least they were replaced by other attractions. On the other hand, taking out the Wild Wild West Stunt Show was just plain stupid. It sat empty for years without a replacement. It caused a park with a low attraction count to go even lower.

This is amazing. I remember seeing that cover as a kid and it's great seeing it again online. Thanks for sharing Bruce.

Things have changed, but that's the price of following Universal. Can't relish too much in the past, unfortunately.

Reactions: BruceTheShark
Gosh Bruce, that's amazing. Thanks so much for this! I wish they still made pamphlets like this, seeing it online just isn't the same. And this will always be the pinnacle of USH's existence and history (and the time Terminator joined the roster as well). I don't care how many more amazing E Tickets and lands we get like Potter and Transformers, the 90s and early 2000s truly had more soul at USH than any other time. I will always miss it. Still love USH now but I have so much nostalgia of the old USH.

Oh man you can just see the effort put into the park back then. That cover shot is amazing.

They had such a sense of pride back then. These were their own franchises and they knew it. Universal was just like Disney that you could go to the park and ride your favorite Universal films.

Oh man you can just see the effort put into the park back then. That cover shot is amazing.

They had such a sense of pride back then. These were their own franchises and they knew it. Universal was just like Disney that you could go to the park and ride your favorite Universal films.
Amen. It felt like UNIVERSAL STUDIOS Hollywood. Most of it feels more like MISCELLANEOUS HIT PROPERTY STUDIOS Hollywood now...don't take me wrong, most of the new rides are great that are from another studio, like Transfomers and Potter. But some rides like Simpsons just don't feel natural at Universal :/ *shrug*

Reactions: Krusty and steve
Bruce, is there anyway you could scan the JP centerfold?
I just added it into the post. It wouldn't fit on my scanner so I took a picture of it, hence the loss in quality.

Your welcome all! I have quite a few USH collectibles like this back at home. Luckily, my dad was smart and grabbed extras of this type of stuff to save. As I come across this stuff I'll be sure to always share it. Like several of you have said, it seems like much more quality and pride was put into Universal's attractions in the past. They truly embraced their own properties and you can see that. That cover art is excellent in my opinion. As a kid it really made me feel like I was in the heart of Hollywood when I visited.

Reactions: Ryan
I just added it into the post. It wouldn't fit on my scanner so I took a picture of it, hence the loss in quality.
Awesome! That's one of my favorite JP promo arts. It's just a regular raft you'd find going down the Colorado, and some guy is hanging on for dear life! It reminds me of the commercials for Tower of Terror that showed guests standing up in a small elevator that plummets down. Yeah... it's something like that.

Reactions: BruceTheShark
Awesome! That's one of my favorite JP promo arts. It's just a regular raft you'd find going down the Colorado, and some guy is hanging on for dear life! It reminds me of the commercials for Tower of Terror that showed guests standing up in a small elevator that plummets down. Yeah... it's something like that.
It's almost exactly identical to the 3D super detailed billboard advertisement they had of the ride next to LAX in 1996! My favorite ride advertisement of all time.

Here's a screencap of a video I have of the sign.

2db0wmc.jpg

Don't forget the mile high, totally exposed rocky waterfall you plummet down!