Where was this Pic Taken? | Inside Universal Forums

Where was this Pic Taken?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 9, 2013
The Netherlands
usfquestion.jpg

I'm looking for more info about this picture. I found it online and I'd like to know in which hotel this picture was taken. I guess it was a Universal Studios hotel.

What also is curious is that the date of this picture is 2005 and it still advertising to come and see T23D in the park, which has already been there since 1996 (9 years before the date of this picture).

Anyway. Does anyone hae another picture of this Terminator robot in the hotel?

- - - Updated - - -

The word hotel is missing in the title. Was typing too fast I guess.

In which Orlando hotel was this pic taken? And is there more?

Looks like hard rock to me, that's such a cool diorama, I wish they did crap like that today around their site. Marketing like that is way more special than the typical cardboard cut out

Oh lord. I think I made that sign.

These were put out at Tourism Outlets (think rest stops, local mall kiosks, etc). Possibly hotel lobbies.

You make me curious.

I'd like to know more as this is one of the very few opportunities that this Terminator robot was displayed somewhere outside of the park.

It's a low-budget hollow replica of the ones from the attraction. It's not an actual one from the attraction, or even made from the same molds. Strictly made as an advertising piece.

I don't want to brag, but I already have a miniature T-70 (1/6 scale): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwA_zR21_B8
And the lifesize head should also be fixed this year into a finished version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AVMOUPRaws

To have a fullsize one would be cool but it's damn large. 8 feet heigh and 4 feet wide. Besides I don't think my wife will like it. ;-)

Anyway, back to topic, but if anyone knows more about the picture, please tell. The reason why I'm so interested is that the design of these display units is a bit different compared to the show units. I know about one other display unit. That was located in the Orlando Airport back in 1996. Perhaps this could be the same one but moved to another lobby or tourist point. However, it's too bad the guy on the picture is standing on the right side seen from the unite, as he blocks the view on the gun.

And it's still interesting they are promoting T23D in 2005, so many years after its opening. I would have expected something like Fear Factory live or Revenge of the Mummy in that time period.

Last edited:
I don't know much about where the picture is, but you're right about it being the same as the display units from the airport. If I recall, they're only about 6.5' tall on a base that's about 4'. That standee on the right is built to normal standards, which is 6.5' top to bottom.

If that's my sign, I made it in 2004 and that correlates with the graphics on the standee on the right. I'd also say with confidence that it isn't on UO property. I know we had some displays at the Greyhound depot, Amtrak Depot, the Airport, Rest Stops, and Welcome Centers throughout Central Florida, so it's possible a T-70 was set up at one of those places at that time. The big posed Spider-Man mannequin was used then as well.

I have seen this exact same figure at a tourism booth/ "Welcome center" attached to a Denny's. I admit that this was a few years ago, and I'm not sure that it is still there. I think I remember there being a velociraptor there recently (also a few years ago) but I could be completely wrong. But I'm almost 100% positive that it's in this location. 25 Town Center Boulevard, Clermont, FL 34714. It is the Denny's affiliated with the Summer Bay Resort down near 27.

VPDrVtw.png

In this google maps image you can see the welcome center.

Last edited:
I have seen this exact same figure at a tourism booth/ "Welcome center" attached to a Denny's. I admit that this was a few years ago, and I'm not sure that it is still there. I think I remember there being a velociraptor there recently (also a few years ago) but I could be completely wrong. But I'm almost 100% positive that it's in this location. 25 Town Center Boulevard, Clermont, FL 34714. It is the Denny's affiliated with the Summer Bay Resort down near 27.

VPDrVtw.png

In this google maps image you can see the welcome center.
Now we're getting somewhere :)

Are you sure? because on the Terminator picture I noticed some "bars" on the left, and I can't place them in this picture.

I will see if I can find an emailaddress of that booth. As I live in the Netherlands (Europe) it may be hard to contact them.

Sharp sharp sharp Missy! Here is a picture taken from the left of the tower. That statue once stood right in that tower alcove. Note the dividers on the windows, yes, there are three, one behind, one on either side, both with dividers.... That tower faces an intersection too, note the traffic lights in the original picture above... and look whose logo shows up when that same tower is viewed from a different angle:

dennys_terminator_zps6c7272b6.jpg

Wow you guys are good. I really appreciate your help!! :happy:

Is this part of Denny's or is some stand alone tourist info booth? Does someone have any contact info for that tourist info shop?

Edit: here's a picture of the figure behind glass at Orlando airport: http://www.hollywoodhardware.de/board/t70.jpg
If anyone has any pictures or videos of this advertisement unit (airport or tourist booth), it's all welcome.

As you can see at the airport photo, it had a part of the gun mounted on the shoulder. I'm missing this at the tourist booth photo.

Last edited:
Sharp sharp sharp Missy!

Thank you! I saw the photo and was like oh oh oh! I can help! It stood right in that alcove with the bars around it. My family and I haven't visited this Denny's in years, so I'm going to say sometime around 2009/2010 was the last time I saw it.

Wow you guys are good. I really appreciate your help!! :happy:

Is this part of Denny's or is some stand alone tourist info booth? Does someone have any contact info for that tourist info shop?

It's not part of Denny's, just attached to it - you can walk through it to get to Denny's. I have no contact info and couldn't find any online - only thing I can say is to call the Summer Bay Resort - as it's on their property and is probably their main "welcome center". Or wherever they sell tickets out of for their tours and what not. Goodluck!

I also might have a photo of it somewhere on my old laptop - I'll see if I have anything a little later.

It's not part of Denny's, just attached to it - you can walk through it to get to Denny's. I have no contact info and couldn't find any online - only thing I can say is to call the Summer Bay Resort - as it's on their property and is probably their main "welcome center". Or wherever they sell tickets out of for their tours and what not. Goodluck!

I also might have a photo of it somewhere on my old laptop - I'll see if I have anything a little later.
Cool. If you can please share.

I'm going to try to contact the resort and hope they can help me any further. Again, thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it!

I'm going to try to contact the resort and hope they can help me any further. Again, thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it!

What is it that you are looking for help with exactly? I was under the impression you merely wanted to find out where the picture was taken... and now you know.

What is it that you are looking for help with exactly? I was under the impression you merely wanted to find out where the picture was taken... and now you know.
That's true. I was trying to locate where it was taken so that I could try to contact the location to ask if they would have any pictures or videos of that robot. I thought it was a hotel and that they perhaps would have taken any pictures themselves. Now it's a welcome center of a resort. I have just sent them an email with a request if they have more info and pictures of it. But I think a hotel will not put much effort into helping a foreigner, which is logical because an employee has to invest time in it and time is money.

So now I'm also hoping someone on this forum might have pictures or videos of the robot. For example MissyKrissy, I really hope she can find her old pictures of that robot.