What Park Needs the Next Big Thing? | Inside Universal Forums

What Park Needs the Next Big Thing?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 30, 2014
Nintendo is still making waves on theme park sites and rumors are STILL all over the place! "It's going into KidZone at USF!" "No! It's replacing Toon Lagoon at IOA!!" "NO! It's replacing Marvel Super Hero Island AND Toon Lagoon!!" (Yeah, that one is pretty ridiculous, but it's out there.)

Certainly there are a dozen blue sky ideas for this IP, so it all really comes down to what's more important: building specific rides or building up a specific park? So does one of the parks need it more than the other?

USF has several holes to fill. Twister will probably be something C-Ticket soon, so let's assume that is taken care of. Fear Factor is the obvious hole, which will undoubtedly be filled with the Ministry of Magic. KidZone is fine, but it's no Fantasyland, and USH really does need an IP here famous enough to make families aware that they do have their own high-quality version of Fantasyland. And Disaster is just a time-waster at this point. Shrek will be considered antiquated in a few years, but it's a needed family attraction until KidZone gets some update. For now, that's really all USH has to focus on. The hole between The Simpsons and Men in Black isn't important, yet, and there's still interest in the other attractions here.

IOA doesn't have a lot of holes to fill, more like entire lands to retheme. We all know that Universal has long wanted to retheme Toon Lagoon - and it needs it desperately. Across the lagoon the Lost Continent, while much better themed, has probably the least-beloved attractions (not counting Dr Doom or Storm Force Accelatron) in the park.

Because IOA does have the greatly themed Seuss Landing, it would seem it wouldn't need Nintendo. Plus, it has a greater concentration of rides than USF. Spidey, Hulk, Forbidden Journey, Dragon Challenge, Jurassic Park River Adventure, Popeye & Bluto's, Dudley Do-Right (the ride itself, not the theming) and probably Kong. There's not a lot of attractions over at USF that can compare to most in this list. The Mummy, Gringott's and Men in Black?

The problem here is that IOA is STILL considered the "thrill" park. Even with Seuss Landing, Sindbad, Poseidon, Spidey and all the Harry Potter stuff, this park cannot shake the way it is viewed by people who haven't been here. "It's not a family park!!!" And Kong probably isn't going to change this. It's going to be a slow ride with movies, but it'll still be seen - and advertised - as a thrill ride. USF, even with a big roller coaster that can be seen from CityWalk, is still seen as the more family-oriented park. And that's probably true.

Even with IOA opening the big new attraction, I still think it's the park that needs the next big thing. Especially considering USF could build the Ministry of Magic and for a minimal investment, it could go up quickly, and that park would soar for three more years. There have been a million proposed additions to IOA over the years - Grinch coaster, Lorax dark ride, Jurassic Jeep Adventure, Amber Mine coaster, JP Aviary coaster, JP dark ride, SOMETHING to replace the Toon Lagoon Theater! But the success of Jurassic World could put one of the JP ideas on the fast-track. Which obviously doesn't solve this perception issue, even if they did the dark ride. Seuss rides just aren't sexy, but ignoring them isn't the way to attract their problem demographic.

One solution is to retheme Toon Lagoon - Yoshi can take over Dudley and Donkey Kong can take over Popeye - and I'd tear down the theater and put up a Mario Kart and one other ride here. This would be cheaper than building a whole new land in USH. It's not sexy but it immediately puts a new HUGE family IP into IOA. In fact, it would be easier as no kiddie rides would have to close to build it. Build the two new attractions, open them and then the other two can go down for retheming.

The biggest problem with this is the little fact that Nintendo was obviously shown SOMETHING to make them agree to a deal. Is there a plan for an attraction that wouldn't fit in Toon Lagoon? Then the only places are Lost Continent and KidZone or the open area in USH. Personally, I would prefer that, because I would love to see Hyrule take over Lost Continent. But I would also love to see a Mario/Yoshi/Donkey Kong land in Toon Lagoon, a Pokemon land could go into KidZone and Hyrule could go into the third gate!

If KidZone is the answer, then IOA STILL needs a big family IP for Toon Lagoon. Why SpongeBob hasn't been better utilized is beyond my comprehension. RERUNS of that show routinely top the Cable Ratings Charts. The shows are viewed by more than 100 million people around the world. Why wouldn't the water rides of Toon Lagoon be a perfect fit for him??

Even more important, Minion Mayhem is going to get old really quickly. Look how fast everyone got over the new Star Tours movies. A funny, family ride will have a longer life, but motion simulators are still low-rent attractions. If Universal wants the Minions to stand the test of time, they need a Super Silly Fun Land with something beyond flat rides or that Minion island, which would be easier to slide into Toon Lagoon. But wouldn't Super Silly Fun Land also fit easily into the current KidZone lineup?

So, ignore the rumors. After Kong opens, which park needs the Next Big Thing? How can IOA become a "family-friendly" park? Will Universal wait to see how attendance is affected by Kong before even making a Nintendo decision? Sound off...

Reactions: UNIrd
Why SpongeBob hasn't been better utilized is beyond my comprehension.

It's got to be contract related--its the biggest no-brainier out there especially for a very water-based land. Great analysis.

If KidZone is the answer, then IOA STILL needs a big family IP for Toon Lagoon.
The existing IPs in Toon Lagoon are family friendly, it's just that their getting old and irrelevant. Popeye still resonates with people - Myself, my parents, and my daughters all like it, so 3 living generations is a fairly large span. With print dying out, the newspaper comics aren't much of a draw. especially with the largest comic strips - Peanuts and Garfield - being absent.

So, ignore the rumors.
Okay.

After Kong opens, which park needs the Next Big Thing?
The Studios.

How can IOA become a "family-friendly" park?
Your question was answered in 2010 with the opening of Hogsmeade.

Will Universal wait to see how attendance is affected by Kong before even making a Nintendo decision?
No.

There are a lot of definitive statements in your post that I think are still conjecture. Ministry of Magic is by no means a foregone conclusion, just a big wish item that a lot of people have floated.

Nintendo is not going to be okay with a reskin of other attractions to be Nintendo properties. There is no way that Universal would've scored this IP with that kind of plan. You're going to see a complete razing of a land to make room for it. KidZone is the best place for that and as far as I've read from the insiders is exactly what is going to be replaced.

I don't think Minion Mayhem is going anywhere for at least 5 years. They ported it to USH lesss than two years ago and it's doing very well there. It's still doing well as USF. I would argue that the foresight wasn't great when it was placed in that location in the first place, but I don't think they were expecting the film series to be as popular as it was.

To answer your question though, USF needs the next big thing and its coming with Nintendo.

Ministry of Magic is by no means a foregone conclusion, just a big wish item that a lot of people have floated.

I disagree with this statement.

To answer your question though, USF needs the next big thing and its coming with Nintendo.

Well, Nintendo will be in USF, but I'd argue F&F is probably the next big thing for that park.

Reactions: Clive
There are a lot of definitive statements in your post that I think are still conjecture. Ministry of Magic is by no means a foregone conclusion, just a big wish item that a lot of people have floated.

I think most have just forgotten about it TBH. There is so much coming that it is easy to get lost in the shuffle. Diagon Alley has been a major shot in the arm for USF. They'll want to get one last surge out of Potter...at least until Fantastic Beasts...

FWIW, I think Toon Lagoon is a lot more relevant than KidZone in it's current state. At least the theming is still kept well done in my opinion. But I'm also in the minority that loves Toon Lagoon, so... :lol: But I feel pretty confident, along with many here, in the rumor that it's replacing KidZone.

Reactions: Quint
*Waits for THE Next Big Thing to respond to this thread*

Seriously though, Each park still has empty plots and areas for improvement..

I would say IOA needs some love as all of it was created at the same time and all of it is aging at the same time..

A ton has been done at USF recently, but there are still zones to be redone

I don't think either park needs another next big thing as much as it needs smaller things to help fill in the gaps. All the shops and sights in Diagon Alley plus the Raptor Encounter are steps in the right direction for that. Don't get me wrong, I want Universal to keep building E-tickets (and they will) but the parks have plenty as is, it isn't a huge issue of need.

Reactions: Quint and Teebin
Something huge is under development for the large area in the northeast corner of US, next to MIB. Right now it is between napkin scratches and full blown internal concept designs. Problem is, I have no idea what it is... yet. This is why the new additional parade building is already planned/reserved for the area... so that UC can design this idea around it.

Sorry if I have already posted most of this info before... just think of it as a reminder. :)

Something huge is under development for the large area in the northeast corner of US, next to MIB. Right now it is between napkin scratches and full blown internal concept designs. Problem is, I have no idea what it is... yet. This is why the new additional parade building is already planned/reserved for the area... so that UC can design this idea around it.

Sorry if I have already posted most of this info before... just think of it as a reminder. :)

I think it's safe to assume there are big plans for basically every area of both parks. The planning going on in the UC offices must be dizzying

The planning going on in the UC offices must be dizzying
I'd love to see their Ideas list before the relevant boards and execs decide on what they wanna take to concept, I need to get me a PMO job over there!

I'd say after Kong opens, Islands of Adventure needs "the Next Big Thing".

IOA:
Forbidden Journey
Kong
Raptor Show
Retheme of 3 underwhelming roller coasters form Lost Continent

USF:
Rockit
Dispicable Me
Simpsons Land
Diagon Alley
Transformers
Hosts HHN Mardi Gras and Nightime Show
Better Food.

I'd argue IOA needs the next big thing.

It's just not fair IMO.

Studios has always gotten more investment than Islands, in part because its attractions date faster (much of the park's 1990s attractions have been replaced), they're easier to replace (big soundstages), and there's more flexibility in IP choice (vague "New York" versus Seuss Landing or Toon Lagoon). Islands pigeonholes itself through its IP-centered themed areas: Kong is a stretch, but it works.

Islands is going to need some help, and it will get it - via Kong, Hulk relaunch, and the potential Marvel headliner. In the meantime, everyone's going to Islands to see Hogwarts. Some people will skip Diagon Alley if they can only visit one park - the castle is the most important part.

But yeah, Ministry of Magic is gonna happen. And I mentioned this on Twitter, but if Fantastic Beasts is a success, I'd expect it to replace the aging Revenge of the Mummy. (Those films will take place in New York...)

OMG, PLEASE do something with Toon Amphitheater, it is just this big empty space that sits there, unused, but for a few days a year. Another show, knock it down and build a dark ride, something, ANYTHING, other than an unused area that has been this way for about 15 years. I'd rather see this "attraction" redone than Twister or Kidzone or anything else in the parks.

Just like how Ivy League Schools are gauged by the number of students rejected every year so is abandoned attraction space buildings. Universal is just trying to look as haughty as Disney.

With the Toon Lagoon Amphitheater's entire plot of land it sits on, an attraction the size of Spiderman could fit in its space and since we were discussing in another thread how Uni doesn't do "big" shows well, there's really no point in keeping it for future use. The question is would the space be used for MSHI or TL. Other than Kong's Plot and the plot next to Cat in the Hat, it's literally the next big thing. (See what I did there?)

I also think Universal has a huge fantasy based IP they got that may be used at IOA if the film next year is a rousing success which though I talk about the IP a lot on here, I don't play and not a fan but definitely useful as an theme park area.

IOA
2016: Kong, Hulk revamp
Grinch coaster/Lorax dark ride @ Seuss Landing
Avengers @ MSHI behind Fearfall (I think Fearfall should stay)
Fantastic Four @ Toon Lagoon Theater?
Gyrosphere ride @ Jurassic Park?

USF
TBD: Fallon @ Twister, F&F @ Disaster, Nintendo @ KidZone
Ministry of Magic @ Fear Factor

IOA really wouldn't have more room for expansion after that, unless they did complete rethemings of The Lost Continent & Toon Lagoon. USF still has spots for expansion, such as the building south of Mummy (stage 33?) and the giant plot between MIB & Simpsons, which will most likely be Nintendoland Phase 2. Could they add something down Vine St?

I hope they don't keep replacing attractions and instead just look for new/creative places to put new attractions.