What do you shoot with? | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

What do you shoot with?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Since it's only money what about the a77 or even better the a99. :thumbs:

The A77 is an option but no sure if the price would justify only a slight improvement in camera over the A55. The A99 I would love but your talking about $2,500 just for the body alone. Id like to stick with the A mount since that is the glass I have so switching to the A7 would mean either an adapter (lose in body stabilization) or sell off my lenses and start over in E mount. I really hope Sony hasn't given up totally on the Amounters out there. Id like to see them go mirrorless but in a full size body, and upgraded A77 would be an option if they went that route.

I really am not sure what ill even be able to do at this point with my world getting flipped upside down as of recently (I should start a, help hockeyman with a new camera thread, :pound: )

As some of you know I commission sales on eBay. Anyway, I am looking for a camera to leave setup in the eBay room. Preferably a Sony DSLR. I am also open to a bridge style camera and other brands. If any of you have anything you would like to sell either post it hear or send me a PM.

Thanks

I'm in the market for a new camera. I know most of you guys shoot with SLRs, but I'm looking at buying a good spec point and shoot. My main priority is for something really portable whilst not sacrificing quality. I've been checking out a few models:

Ricoh GR
Sony RX100M2
Fuji X100S

Does anybody have any experience with these models, or can suggest something similar with a comparable price? The Fuji is probably a little over my budget but I've heard it's one of the best in its class. I'm leaning toward the Sony right now based on some reviews and photos I've seen on Flickr.

EDIT: Also throwing the Sony NEX-3N into the mix.

Last edited:
If you don't want something with a detachable lens, the new Sony FF fixed 35mm lens cameras are good if you have a sky-high budget. If you're looking for more of the "typical" P&S price range, take a look at the Canon Powershot A or Elph series. There's open-source firmware from the moding community that will let you shoot RAW and adjust more options than you can otherwise, as well as a pretty open manual mode with them. That's the kind of camera I got my mom (A series) when she wanted a camera, and I've used it at concerts with great results using the built in settings (though I really want to try it with that moded firmware now).

I'm in the market for a new camera. I know most of you guys shoot with SLRs, but I'm looking at buying a good spec point and shoot. My main priority is for something really portable whilst not sacrificing quality. I've been checking out a few models:

Ricoh GR
Sony RX100M2
Fuji X100S

Does anybody have any experience with these models, or can suggest something similar with a comparable price? The Fuji is probably a little over my budget but I've heard it's one of the best in its class. I'm leaning toward the Sony right now based on some reviews and photos I've seen on Flickr.

I don't pretend to know anywhere near as much as Mike and Mike lol. However I've had two Sony Point and Shoots as well as a Fuji P&S. If I had to pick I'd take that Sony without hesitation. Outside of both my Canon SLR's the Sony P&S was easily the best yet cheapest camera I purchased.

I don't pretend to know anywhere near as much as Mike and Mike lol. However I've had two Sony Point and Shoots as well as a Fuji P&S. If I had to pick I'd take that Sony without hesitation. Outside of both my Canon SLR's the Sony P&S was easily the best yet cheapest camera I purchased.

I fake a lot of my knowledge :lol: I really don't know much about the other brands but keep up with Sony because that is what I shoot with and am less knowledgeable when it comes to the point and shoots. I will say making the jump from a point and shoot to DSLR was the best thing I have ever done, but had the NEX series been around when I did that, I might have taken a look at those instead of the A390 that I started with. And personally I wouldn't plunk down $748 on a camera with a fixed lens like the Sony he has listed, even if it is a stellar little camera.

I loved the Sony P&S I started out on, but it had one gigantic problem, lens spots. Whether it was from bad construction on the lens parts letting dust in or actual glass problems, by the end of its life I was regularly trying to compose around or clean up after the fact about 5 or 6 spots. I haven't used a Sony P&S since about '07 so maybe they don't have that issue anymore, but I know the Canon A series my mom uses hasn't had any issues in the 3 years she's had it.

Ricoh GR
Sony RX100M2
Fuji X100S

I like my Sony's! Not an expert but I love my HX100, and the smaller P&S have always done me right.
Wow $750 for a P&S!

Here are some Flickr links (1, 2) of RX100 shots that have really impressed me.

I know it's a pretty big tag for a point and shoot, but I've owned an SLR in the past and it was too much of a burden. I'm not a photographer nor do I know anything about cameras (hence why I'm posting here), so carrying round a large SLR body with multiple lenses took away from the fun of snapping photos. I just want something small and light that I can shoot with, and not necessarily worry about the results lacking in quality.

Here are some Flickr links (1, 2) of RX100 shots that have really impressed me.

I know it's a pretty big tag for a point and shoot, but I've owned an SLR in the past and it was too much of a burden. I'm not a photographer nor do I know anything about cameras (hence why I'm posting here), so carrying round a large SLR body with multiple lenses took away from the fun of snapping photos. I just want something small and light that I can shoot with, and not necessarily worry about the results lacking in quality.

I agree 100%.

How durable are these cameras that all of you use? Your pictures are all amazing, and I know my girlfriend wants a nicer camera.

I always think if I got her one of the nice ones I would be too terrified to take it anywhere.

How durable are these cameras that all of you use? Your pictures are all amazing, and I know my girlfriend wants a nicer camera.

I always think if I got her one of the nice ones I would be too terrified to take it anywhere.

I have the Sony A55 and so far its been really durable and has been on pretty much everything Disney can throw at it, Space, TT and such. But not Splash yet, mine isnt weathered sealed so try to avoid the water rides

^ I looked into that one but found it not suited to our needs. I know someone with the model you mentioned and he has a lot of issue. Enough that I wouldn't want to trust it with my GoPre3BE.

I have found one that would meet our needs but it would require an awful lot of crowdsourcing. :lol: