WaterWorld | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

WaterWorld

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And once again the offended cry blasphemy through blind loyalty haha... I never said that Waterworld wasn't enjoyable, just like I never Sinbad at IOA wasn't enjoyable.  I just said they were awful. Have we all forgotten that the term "awful" when used to describe something is not always negative? There are a lot of movies that are straight up awful, but they're still enjoyable. Just look at the B-Movie genre.

MissBettyJuice pretty much said it exactly... "its cheesy & has a terrible plot". And like I have said more than once now, it has a great cast, with great stunts, & great pyro... You guys need to stop being so defensive. Unlike most of you, I didn't grow up here seeing this from day 1 of going to the park every day/year. I saw it once in 2000, hated it, saw it again last year, didn't mind it.

Now saying it is the best theme park/stunt show ever is stretching things a bit! The only reason you're all so attached to it is because the park doesn't have anything else to offer when it comes to entertainment, whether it be stage show or stunt show. That whole "best ______ ever" title has always been rather dumb & carries no weight. Not everyone thinks the same, not everyone likes the same thing. It is nothing more than an opinion.

Everybody: this is a Universal Studios Hollywood forum. Going around and intentionally baiting people with Orlando vs Hollywood nonsense is blatant trolling and will not be tolerated. 

Both parks have their faults and strengths, and we all can recognize it, no need to drag argumentative and negativity in all of this. Thank you.  :)

And once again the offended cry blasphemy through blind loyalty haha... I never said that Waterworld wasn't enjoyable, just like I never Sinbad at IOA wasn't enjoyable.  I just said they were awful. Have we all forgotten that the term "awful" when used to describe something is not always negative? There are a lot of movies that are straight up awful, but they're still enjoyable. Just look at the B-Movie genre.

MissBettyJuice pretty much said it exactly... "its cheesy & has a terrible plot". And like I have said more than once now, it has a great cast, with great stunts, & great pyro... You guys need to stop being so defensive. Unlike most of you, I didn't grow up here seeing this from day 1 of going to the park every day/year. I saw it once in 2000, hated it, saw it again last year, didn't mind it.

Now saying it is the best theme park/stunt show ever is stretching things a bit! The only reason you're all so attached to it is because the park doesn't have anything else to offer when it comes to entertainment, whether it be stage show or stunt show. That whole "best ______ ever" title has always been rather dumb & carries no weight. Not everyone thinks the same, not everyone likes the same thing. It is nothing more than an opinion.
In addition to people not being defensive - which I don't really think people were in this case - it would be appreciated if you respected the other opinions out there too. People have valid and various reasons for loving the show, just like you have valid and various reasons for disliking it. I don't think anyone was outright being defensive, moreso expressing their love for Waterworld with a knee-jerk reaction to a rather blunt and to some degree inflammatory statement about it. 

If your response had been tempered with a little less seeming vitriol, it may have been received better. I know how you meant it to come across (I think) but the internet is really bad at conveying tone and emotion sometimes. Without a voice/face behind it, things seem more blunt than they really are. 

Basically, I just want to know if we can we all still be civil to one another without trampling through each others' emotions. You have valid points and reasons for your opinion, some parts of which I agree with, but there is no need to be so disdainful in some of your postings.

Just gonna repeat my question to get us back on track :)

"It's been some time now since the updated version of WaterWorld had its debut. For fans of the original, do you find yourself liking the new one more and more, or did you like it from the start?"

I've liked WaterWorld from the start of my early USH days, heck, it was one of the reasons I fell in love with the place. It's been a staple of my visits for me and why I wold be sad to see it go, I feel it's past it's time. 

My brief mock-up overview for an updated film, if anyone has any interest (posted here because it's WaterWorld related so hey it counts right?) :

WaterWorld Re-Imagined - a post-apocalyptic survival fantasy, based loosely on the concept of the original film

Taglines / Ad Phrases:

• By Sea - For Land
  • The tide is turning in the battle for survival
  • A new battle is on the horizon
Main Factions:

• The Atollers - human survivors of the Great Flood who live on pieced together floating fortresses called Atolls, made from the dregs left over after the final great Land Wars of man. None of them have any memories of life on Dry Land, and many more have never even seen it, regarding it as a myth told by the Elders.
  • The Undine - humanoid water-dwelling race, who according to legend made a deal with water demons to gain their abilities, such as breathing under water through the use of fish-like gills. The few Undine that remained were slowly hunted down or suffered unknown fate after being cast out of the remains of society. It is unknown whether or not the Undine truly have a demonic heritage, or if they are simply normal humans who eventually evolved over the years following scientific experimentation. Many Atollers do not even know how the old arts and sciences worked, as much of the old ways were lost following the Great Flood and the dissolution of civilization.
  • The Smokers - a cult based around the worship of war, fire and chaos, led by a maniacal evangelical warlord called the Deacon. They studied the lessons of the Land Wars and seek to be like the bloodthirsty generals and soldiers of legend. They believe in the legend of Dry Land and seek to gain it for themselves, so that they can establish a new era of man.
Main Characters:

• The Mariner - main protagonist, an anti-hero outcast from most of society's remains for being part Atoller, part Undine. As far as he knows, he is the last of his kind. He is distrusting and cold from years of being shunned, and little is known of his past. He is very skilled in combat and survival, and despite being part Undine, he is allowed to travel through the Atolls simply because people fear him. He has spent the last few years of his life searching for Dry Land, which he believes may actually be out there somewhere.
  • Helen - a healer from Terra, one of the largest Atolls. She is one of the very few who believe in the legend of Dry Land. It is later revealed that a traditional tattoo on her back, which is given to all healers in her faith, is a map with the coordinates of Dry Land. She is kind, with a sharp mind and a strong sense of justice and equality. She is among the few who wishes to seek out and embrace the Undine as part of society, and will aid the Mariner in his quest. The Deacon has strong desire for her, and she continues to rebuff him.
  • The Deacon - the current leader of the Smokers, a position he seized after the Bishop - who led before him - met an untimely end in a Skyboat accident. He is shrewd, manipulative, and calculating. He believes in Dry Land, and feels that the Atollers know the way and are simply too stupid to realize that they do. He believes in the Provider, an old god mentioned in the texts of many from the time of the Land Wars before the Great Flood. He wants to find Dry Land and use it as a tool to take control of the remaining pieces of civilization. He hates the Mariner with a passion from past encounters after attacks on various Undine bands, including one such encounter that led to the loss of one of his eyes.
Key Events:
  • The Great Flood - a time spoken of in legends passed down from the Elders of society, in which the ice that supposedly covered parts of Dry Land melted down and joined with the waters of the world. There are many who no longer believe in this event, and simply think that the world was always this way, and that the Elders simply tell the tale to give others something to believe in.
  • The Land Wars - great wars that happened in the old times before the flood, which were full of bloodshed, pain, and death for many. The wars were fought between various nations that supposedly once stood. Stories of the Land Wars are still taught to children, but many have stopped believing that these ever happened, and others have learned nothing from the old texts of that time long ago.
Underlying Major Themes:
  • Learning from history
  • Believing in the unexplained
  • prejudice towards difference
  • Nature vs. nurture
  • Perserverance through adversity
  • Love in war
I think I'll keep working on this for giggles. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by a moderator:
And once again the offended cry blasphemy through blind loyalty haha... 
I am fascinated by your reaction. Not a single person cried blasphemy. No one is demonstrating blind loyalty. You seem to see a different opinion as blind loyalty. You think the show is awful - others think the show is excellent. Both opinion are valid are they not? Why is it "blind loyalty" to hold a different opinion than yours? Why do you see those expressing a different opinion as being offended or crying blasphemy?

Wesker69, Out out curiosity, Can you give any examples of theme park stunt shows out there that you consider to be better than WaterWorld? Or do you just simply not like theme park stunt shows in general?

Reactions: BernardMesa
Has anyone been to the park this easter weekend? I've noticed that guests are doing some sort of survey at waterworld. they have remote devices with a dial (probably gauging the guests reactions/opinions) and yellow sheets to probably fill in for the survey.

^ Yup! Past few years or so. Richard is an old friend of mine, went to school with him. One of the most down to earth guys, super nice. I'll never forget one time in 7th grade someone bullied me and hurt me bad, and he stepper in and picked me up (only a year older than me) and carried me to the nurse's office. Amazing when fame doesn't get to one's head, especially in this superficial town of ours.

One of my other friends from school plays one of the Deacon's minions in WaterWorld as well for a few years now. His dad is in charge of Action Horizons Stunts.

And one of my favorite drama teachers has been playing the Deacon in Singapore for a while!

^ Screamscape just reported this, and I'm not sure... the are seems pretty small for me to fit Diagon Alley, and none the less remove Waterworld? And supposedly have it ready by 2018? Yeah... right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alexshow.
^

Not to mention last years major refurbishment on the sound system, and the entire show in quality. It will be staying for the next 5-8 years at the very least.

Reactions: chris.g
^ Screamscape just reported this, and I'm not sure... the are seems pretty small for me to fit Diagon Alley, and none the less remove Waterworld? And supposedly have it ready by 2018? Yeah... right.
Yeah the size seems pretty small to fit Diagon Alley and I think it would be impossible to have it open around 2018.... I'm taking this as rumor for right now .