Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would imagine rides like Rise and Flight of Passage will get "booked" up quickly. I think I'd only pay for Rise at the moment, just because its so annoying to get a boarding pass.

But, from what I understand after reading it over and over and *still* trying to wrap my brain around this newest cash grab, you’re still gonna have be ready on the app at 7:00 AM (IF you’re staying onsite, park opening if not) to attempt to pay for your ride on Rise which is still subject to availability, meaning it can sell out just as quickly (if not faster, IMO, during peak seasons) as it would if you were attempting to enter a Boarding Group.

Reactions: SeventyOne
But, from what I understand after reading it over and over and *still* trying to wrap my brain around this newest cash grab, you’re still gonna have be ready on the app at 7:00 AM (IF you’re staying onsite, park opening if not) to attempt to pay for your ride on Rise which is still subject to availability, meaning it can sell out just as quickly (if not faster, IMO, during peak seasons) as it would if you were attempting to enter a Boarding Group.

Well they said both Rise and Ratatouille are going to be Virtual Queue, I don't think they mentioned either of those rides would be LL eligible.

Another point to make that no one knows yet, do you have to pay the $15 before you have the ability to purchase the a la carte options?

Well they said both Rise and Ratatouille are going to be Virtual Queue, I don't think they mentioned either of those rides would be LL eligible.

Another point to make that no one knows yet, do you have to pay the $15 before you have the ability to purchase the a la carte options?

Forgot to quote you, but, these are from the WDWMagic FAQ write up…

3. What are Individual Attraction Purchases?
Attractions not included as part of Genie+, such as Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and Remy's Ratatouille Adventure, will require an individual attraction purchase for access into the Lightning Lane. Pricing for this option will vary by date, attraction and park and is still to be announced. We have heard reliable speculation that puts pricing between $4 and $24 depending on date, attraction and demand.

4. If I don't want to buy Genie+ or individual attraction purchases, can I still ride?
All attractions will still have a standby queue or a virtual queue. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and Remy's Ratatouille Adventure will feature a virtual queue and Lightning Lane access only.

14. What attractions will not be part of Genie+ and require an Individual Attraction purchase?
Disney has confirmed that Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, Remy's Ratatouille Adventure, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will not be part of Genie+ and will require an Individual Attraction purchase for Lightning Lane access.

15. Do I have to buy Genie+ before I can make an Individual Attraction Purchase?
No. Individual Attraction purchases can be made via Disney Genie without needing the Genie+ add-on.

16. When can I purchase Individual Attractions for Lightning Lane access?
Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests can purchase up to 2 individual attraction selections for Lighting Lane access at 7am on the day of visit. Non-resort hotel guests can make a purchase when the park opens.

17. When can I make Genie+ selections?
At Walt Disney World, all guests can make the first Genie+ selection at 7am on the day of the visit via My Disney Experience.

I have questions. (and opinions)

1. If you buy Genie plus, can you literally go all day from attraction to attraction using the lightning pass? Or will it be "one per hour" or something like that? I assume as soon as you get off one attraction you can schedule another? But let's say you get off Haunted Mansion at 11:20am? Will you be able to schedule Pirates of the Caribbean right away at 11:30am or will you have to wait until the next open block at 12 or 12:30? I foresee a lot of people standing in walkways staring at their phones waiting for their next available lightning pass.

2. So I'm assuming that Rise will sell out at 7am since its lightning lane and virtual queue only? So this still doesn't fix that issue.

3. What's to stop them from upping the price every year like they do with parking and ticket prices?

4. I'm hoping that Universal takes the opposite approach with Epic Universe and advertises it as less thinking, more enjoying. I don't want to spend my entire vacation on a phone.

Lol

All rides will have a Standard or V Q.....but if the rides fill up within 2 mins of opening then you have to pay. How some people sleep at night
fetch

Last edited:
I have questions. (and opinions)

1. If you buy Genie plus, can you literally go all day from attraction to attraction using the lightning pass? Or will it be "one per hour" or something like that? I assume as soon as you get off one attraction you can schedule another? But let's say you get off Haunted Mansion at 11:20am? Will you be able to schedule Pirates of the Caribbean right away at 11:30am or will you have to wait until the next open block at 12 or 12:30? I foresee a lot of people standing in walkways staring at their phones waiting for their next available lightning pass.

2. So I'm assuming that Rise will sell out at 7am since its lightning lane and virtual queue only? So this still doesn't fix that issue.

3. What's to stop them from upping the price every year like they do with parking and ticket prices?

4. I'm hoping that Universal takes the opposite approach with Epic Universe and advertises it as less thinking, more enjoying. I don't want to spend my entire vacation on a phone.

1. From the way I understood it, no. It’s whatever is available (that are covered with the $15-$20 option) just like the same way as the old Fast Pass, whatever’s available on the app when you finish your first Lightning Lane purchase is what you can take. Also, again, from what I understand, you can only have 1 Lightning Lane option at a time?? Which would mean, if you already booked (example) Rise, you have to go on that ride before you wanna try for a Lightning Lane at Slinky Dog. Idk off the top of my head if that also includes the $15-$20 options, so hopefully someone with a better understanding of this mess can help.

2. That’s how I’m understanding it, but, I could still be wrong.

3. Nothing at all, and they’ve stated as such—everything is subject to change, availability and demand. I believe it to be meaning, just like ticket prices change depending on the time of year, so can these.

4. Same.

1. From the way I understood it, no. It’s whatever is available (that are covered with the $15-$20 option) just like the same way as the old Fast Pass, whatever’s available on the app when you finish your first Lightning Lane purchase is what you can take. Also, again, from what I understand, you can only have 1 Lightning Lane option at a time?? Which would mean, if you already booked (example) Rise, you have to go on that ride before you wanna try for a Lightning Lane at Slinky Dog. Idk off the top of my head if that also includes the $15-$20 options, so hopefully someone with a better understanding of this mess can help.

2. That’s how I’m understanding it, but, I could still be wrong.

3. Nothing at all, and they’ve stated as such—everything is subject to change, availability and demand. I believe it to be meaning, just like ticket prices change depending on the time of year, so can these.

4. Same.

According to what was posted above, and from the official Disney Parks Blog post yesterday, you can purchase up to two Lightning Lane passes at once in the morning, at the same time. (Not including whatever you reserve using Genie+, just from the ala carte ones.)

Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests can purchase up to 2 individual attraction selections for Lighting Lane access at 7am on the day of visit. Non-resort hotel guests can make a purchase when the park opens.​

Also, again, from what I understand, you can only have 1 Lightning Lane option at a time?? Which would mean, if you already booked (example) Rise, you have to go on that ride before you wanna try for a Lightning Lane at Slinky Dog. Idk off the top of my head if that also includes the $15-$20 options, so hopefully someone with a better understanding of this mess can help.

I don't know that I have that much better an understanding, but the a la carte ride access seems to be completely separated from Genie+, since it's been reported that anybody can buy the a la carte access without also purchasing the Genie+ service.

So unless I missed some fine print, a person should be able to hold a la carte purchases (I wish Disney had actually named this, because I don't like having to keep typing out "a la carte" all the time!) and their first Genie+ Lightning Lane slot at the same time.

I don't know that I have that much better an understanding, but the a la carte ride access seems to be completely separated from Genie+, since it's been reported that anybody can buy the a la carte access without also purchasing the Genie+ service.

So unless I missed some fine print, a person should be able to hold a la carte purchases (I wish Disney had actually named this, because I don't like having to keep typing out "a la carte" all the time!) and their first Genie+ Lightning Lane slot at the same time.
Lightning Lane+

lol

Reactions: belloq87
According to what was posted above, and from the official Disney Parks Blog post yesterday, you can purchase up to two Lightning Lane passes at once in the morning, at the same time. (Not including whatever you reserve using Genie+, just from the ala carte ones.)

Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests can purchase up to 2 individual attraction selections for Lighting Lane access at 7am on the day of visit. Non-resort hotel guests can make a purchase when the park opens.​

Shows just how much I can read about this scheme and still not fully comprehend it. My condolences to the average general public day guest when this goes live.

I apologize if this has been brought up before, but why change the name to "Lightning Lane"? Why not keep "FastPass"? FastPass is pretty universal across theme parks. When I'm at any other SeaWorld, Six Flags, or Cedar Fair park, I do generally hear the phrase, "Oh that's the FastPass line" instead of Quick Queue, Flash Pass, or Fast Lane. I'm still going to be saying FastPass forever, but was just curious on why the change

I apologize if this has been brought up before, but why change the name to "Lightning Lane"? Why not keep "FastPass"? FastPass is pretty universal across theme parks. When I'm at any other SeaWorld, Six Flags, or Cedar Fair park, I do generally hear the phrase, "Oh that's the FastPass line" instead of Quick Queue, Flash Pass, or Fast Lane. I'm still going to be saying FastPass forever, but was just curious on why the change
Because fast pass was free and this is not. The product changed so the name changed too, to avoid confusion.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Shows just how much I can read about this scheme and still not fully comprehend it. My condolences to the average general public day guest when this goes live.

Walked into work today and one of the first things my boss said to me was "Ok explain what Genie is!" We then spent 10 minutes going over everything.

Because fast pass was free and this is not. The product changed so the name changed too, to avoid confusion.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it's to tie into Lightning McQueen some. After all, everything needs a character attached to it now.

As someone who always hated the plan-months-in-advance logic of FP+, a return to on-the-day choice makes me like this system a lot. Sounds like the $15 Genie+ with one selection at a time throughout the day will basically work the same way the old original Fastpass did. Honestly, for that price, I'll take it (sorry).

But I do have to laugh at the way Disney spin this:
  • Get Itinerary Updates from Morning to Night: Disney Genie will continue to update your itinerary throughout your day, so you can be more spontaneous and go with the flow.
You know the best way to be spontaneous and go with the flow? Just walking up to whatever you do next without having to put everything through an app on your phone in the first place :lol:

Last edited: