Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 100 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Vol is probably the same system as Mr Potato Head. A series of preprogrammed prompts - like Westworld. I used to operate yon Potato. It doesn't take any real skill. You watch the camera and "interact" with guests following the prompts the best you can.

Choose a start point, poke the screen, it branches a little to adapt to guest response (or lack thereof) and you cycle until you lose our mind and hopefully get bumped out of the position. Some would refuse to have him do anything out of protest and some would just have him awkward creepy laugh or repeat the same line to annoy guests.

Never saw anyone wearing their sunglasses on the back of their head with Potato but that's his funniest line.

And a thought on why Vol is projected..

Anytime someone climbed over the rail to take a pic with the Potato you had to e-stop him and drain his hydraulic fluid to keep his robot arm from killing them. So.. there is that. Light can't give you a concussion.

Last edited:
Vol is probably the same system as Mr Potato Head. A series of preprogrammed prompts - like Westworld. I used to operate yon Potato. It doesn't take any real skill. You watch the camera and "interact" with guests following the prompts the best you can.

Choose a start point, poke the screen, it branches a little to adapt to guest response (or lack thereof) and you cycle until you lose our mind and hopefully get bumped out of the position. Some would refuse to have him do anything out of protest and some would just have him awkward creepy laugh or repeat the same line to annoy guests.

Never saw anyone wearing their sunglasses on the back of their head with Potato but that's his funniest line.

Anytime someone climbed over the rail to take a pic with the Potato you had to e-stop him and drain his hydraulic fluid to keep his robot arm from killing them. So.. there is that. Light can't give you a concussion.
Not sure if preprogrammed, in one video I saw im pretty sure he had a male voice and in another he had a female.

Reactions: Ashhanbre and MattA

It's an actor.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Completely disagree as well. Typhoon still tops the theming for Waterparks in Orlando. I'd label Volcano Bay a Water Thrill park with an amazing weenie, and bits of theming here and there. It is very hodge podge though, and too many frayed edges (so to speak).

I'd say that Typhoon Lagoon is better themed overall but the park is pretty boring outside of Crush 'n' Gusher and the wave pool. Universal wanted thrills. I honestly don't know how you can theme something like those raft slides (Hona, Puihi, etc) without sacrificing some thrill.

I think a lot of this has to do with taking 20 years of extra growth on trees and plants and calling it theming. While it is, if Volcano Bay were 20 years older, I think everyone would be singing a different tune.

Tim the tracker is doing all four water parks this week and comparing them. Watch VB and then watch TL. It's the plant growth that makes it- not rockwork or other theming.

And the Volcano- alone- tops anything and everything at TL. Single handedly. Did we forget the volcano?

The issue I have with the theming at VB is that they had the ability to really go for it, but fell short in a few areas. It's the small details that make or break a theme park.
The Volcano is awesome, but so is the shipwrecked mountain, and the giant glacier/ski slope in BB.

If VB has anything over those parks its the slides themselves, which are much newer/more thrilling.

Reactions: Clive
cross-country-creek-gallery02.jpg

Waterparks-620x330.jpg

CrushnGush.jpg

Details Details Details

So, I believe I initially misread the videos... I guess there are no ponds of water in the caves... the fountains shown are part of the walking path? I guess that is a bit kiddie, however I am sure that a few adults will get their jollies from those higher jets too. :look:

I think a lot of this has to do with taking 20 years of extra growth on trees and plants and calling it theming. While it is, if Volcano Bay were 20 years older, I think everyone would be singing a different tune.

Tim the tracker is doing all four water parks this week and comparing them. Watch VB and then watch TL. It's the plant growth that makes it- not rockwork or other theming.

And the Volcano- alone- tops anything and everything at TL. Single handedly. Did we forget the volcano?

Still disagree haha. So much more then just lush landscaping. The photos posted above show a bit more of what I mean. I think Tim Tracker said it best, some of the slides at Typhoon actually have backstories, and details through the queue and such that tell stories. It feels part of a bigger picture. Huge majority of the slides look like they were cut in to rock work, the entire wave pool complex/river is beautifully themed, and when you walk into the park the mountain with Tilly on top looks stunning.

Yes the Volcano is freaking awesome, I agree. But universal left too many lazy edges for me to be able to say it beats Typhoon for theming. Thrill yes, giant beautiful weenie yes, overall theming... no.

Have you ever been to typhoon lagoon? I'm going to have to say no, you haven't.
The VB cave- with zero light, interactivity, fog, or anything- even if it was just a dark cave is 10000000x better than TLs.
That pic is so misleading- First- it's not even Typhoon lagoon, its blizzard beach. Two- it's fisheyed to make it look longer.
Here is TLs cave- go to 50 seconds

TL's is quite literally 33% of what VBs is.
@Evan have you been to TL? You comment to "look at the photos above"- the first of which is an entirely different park.

BB has a much better cave than TL's also. TL is by far the weakest lazy river of the three. By far.

This shouldn't even be a discussion. This is a case of "want to be right, so I'll distort truth" more than an actual comparison.
The slides and backstory integration at TL is better- but again, it's the lushness of the vegetation that absolutely makes that park badass. The small walkways with vegetation all around and you just feel isolated and immersed completely- it's because of the vegetation growth. If it was freshly planted like VB- we'd be singing a different tune.

Note- I'm going to TL again, on July 5th for DVC party- I'm a fan of the park and love the new addition, can't wait to ride it. Been many times- during day and night. But I can speak to that lazy river and "cave"- and it pales in comparison to the other two in question.

Last edited:
Have you ever been to typhoon lagoon? I'm going to have to say no, you haven't.
The VB cave- with zero light, interactivity, fog, or anything- even if it was just a dark cave is 10000000x better than TLs.
That pic is so misleading- First- it's not even Typhoon lagoon, its blizzard beach. Two- it's fisheyed to make it look longer.
Here is TLs cave- go to 50 seconds

TL's is quite literally 33% of what VBs is.
@Evan have you been to TL? You comment to "look at the photos above"- the first of which is an entirely different park.

BB has a much better cave than TL's also. TL is by far the weakest lazy river of the three. By far.

This shouldn't even be a discussion. This is a case of "want to be right, so I'll distort truth" more than an actual comparison.
The slides and backstory integration at TL is better- but again, it's the lushness of the vegetation that absolutely makes that park badass. The small walkways with vegetation all around and you just feel isolated and immersed completely- it's because of the vegetation growth. If it was freshly planted like VB- we'd be singing a different tune.

Note- I'm going to TL again, on July 5th for DVC party- I'm a fan of the park and love the new addition, can't wait to ride it. Been many times- during day and night. But I can speak to that lazy river and "cave"- and it pales in comparison to the other two in question.

I have indeed been to TL, I apologize though as it's been several years and I don't have waterpark caves memorized.

Have to agree that the changing color fountains don't really make sense in the volcano. We have a small strip mall restaurant complex near where I live that has a small fountain out front that does the same thing, and that's all I could think of when I saw it. However, when it was just "lava" colors I really liked it, hopefully they end up going with just those colors isntead.

Everything else is looking better though! Glad they're still making improvements.

Reactions: Andysol
Yeah, no need to get your panties in a twist, I've been to both TL and BB. I'm pointing out the level of detail in the Disney Water Parks (since that is clearly the bar here). From the dressing up of the tube slides to the way they interact with the rock work, and yes even the way the cave adds an enhancement to the park's backstory.

Have to agree that the changing color fountains don't really make sense in the volcano. We have a small strip mall restaurant complex near where I live that has a small fountain out front that does the same thing, and that's all I could think of when I saw it. However, when it was just "lava" colors I really liked it, hopefully they end up going with just those colors isntead.

Everything else is looking better though! Glad they're still making improvements.

Ding Ding Ding. When the fountain turns to "lava" colors, it makes sense. When it does it's rainbow sequence it looks completely out of place. Details Details Details.

Yeah, no need to get your panties in a twist, I've been to both TL and BB. I'm pointing out the level of detail in the Disney Water Parks (since that is clearly the bar here). From the dressing up of the tube slides to the way they interact with the rock work, and yes even the way the cave adds an enhancement to the park's backstory.
Their needed to be more slide theming at VB...As far as the lazy river and edges, I wonder if that was a safety or budget call

Waterparks-620x330.jpg

CrushnGush.jpg

Details Details Details
In more comparison (removing the Blizzard Beach Cave)- the 2 pics you show- here are a couple direct comparisons- and keep in mind, these aren't professional stock pics from Universal (like yours are from Disney)- these are just regular person pics from the first webpage I searched.

Stoen_170524_0234.jpg

Stoen_170525_0342.jpg

You're telling me the rockwork at the exit on those two sets of slides aren't up to snuff with the pic of Typhoon Lagoon? You think Miss Lily compares favorably to the flippin volcano and the ruins?
I'm sorry, no. And while you can argue that the slides are exposed in Ohya and Ohno vs the 3 slides at TL that are integrated into the rock work- I would argue it's no comparison. Anything you can pull up on TL, I could find an equal, or more impressive picture of VB- such as these 2.

I actually like Crush's look- it fits the backstory perfectly. But again, drop off the 10 years of foliage growth, and it would look a ton more bare bones, would it not?

So I'll end with- Details, details, details- and then this
Stoen_170524_0030.jpg

And now I leave you with the task of finding anything- and I mean anything- from TL or BB that can compare to that 200 foot masterpiece.

Last edited:
^And I'm not exactly sure that you're understanding the post. You're trying to defend Volcano Bay as if it's in some sort of art competition against the Disney parks. I'm telling you that there are details at the Disney parks that are missing from Volcano Bay that would be an absolute requirement for being called a water theme park.

All of your examples are from the front of the park looking south - which I think has the consensus of EVERYBODY on this forum (even the so-called "negative posters") as being nothing short of spectacular. But you conveniently leave out the entire back half of the park, where 75% of the attractions are, to as you say, cherry pick your argument.

I'm not even arguing with you, in fact, I don't think any of my posts were really directed at you. My point since May 24th remains the same. Volcano Bay is inconsistent both in story continuity and thematic presentation and quality. It's not a foliage issue, it's a big picture issue.

^And I'm not exactly sure that you're understanding the post. You're trying to defend Volcano Bay as if it's in some sort of art competition against the Disney parks. I'm telling you that there are details at the Disney parks that are missing from Volcano Bay that would be an absolute requirement for being called a water theme park.

I'm not even arguing with you, in fact, I don't think any of my posts were really directed at you. My point since May 24th remains the same. Volcano Bay is inconsistent both in story continuity and thematic presentation and quality. It's not a foliage issue, it's a big picture issue.

And I disagree completely- and haven't heard a compelling argument from you in the slightest. All I've seen are little pics and digs and saying things like "details details details". It would be the equivalent of me posting multiple Tapu interactive touchpoints- like Tikis shooting fountains of water out of their head, or geysers shooting, or music playing under water, or bubble jets, or fish lighting up, or a number of interactive things in the same vein of Harry Potter's RFID items and saying "details details details" as if that's somehow a point?
So I believe VB offers a significantly more interactive experience. I believe it offers a significantly more thrilling and fun experience. I believe it offers significantly more nuggets of theming and specific touches and detail. I believe it offers significantly better themed food. And I believe with 20 years of vegetation growth that it will feel significantly more immersive. Oh ya- and the Volcano.
So if you're argument is that it needs a better backstory to be a more full fledged "water theme park" than Disney's, then umm- ok? It's exactly equal to Blizzard Beaches. It was a ski resort that started melting and became a water park. It was a people who found a volcano and created a water park within it to share the joy and water with everyone. Maybe it should've been Menehune instead so they could dig tunnels into the volcanos to create a water park into the volcano while the Waturi people slept? Or maybe the Waturi should've been gold miners who couldn't find minerals inside the volcano but used their old tunnels to shoot water down for a slide? As the story currently stands, it's perfectly consistent in continuity and thematic presentation and quality.

Last edited:

All of your examples are from the front of the park looking south - which I think has the consensus of EVERYBODY on this forum (even the so-called "negative posters") as being nothing short of spectacular. But you conveniently leave out the entire back half of the park, where 75% of the attractions are, to as you say, cherry pick your argument.

Have you visited Volcano Bay yet?