Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 105 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I actually really like the story. I just need it somewhere, anywhere in the park. They can't even display the story of the Waturi on the shuttle bus because they're too busy having to explain TapuTapu via the screens.

Reactions: LJGonz and Alicia
I actually really like the story. I just need it somewhere, anywhere in the park. They can't even display the story of the Waturi on the shuttle bus because they're too busy having to explain TapuTapu via the screens.
Maybe they need walk around characters of Waturi people with their weird mouth-faces.

Reactions: Cheezbat
So it's really just the Waturi people selling out. Universal did a pretty bad job conveying that :lol:

I'd still have preferred the bamboo supports.

View attachment 4757
And who ever said the island of Krakatau was a mostly deserted island populated by primitive natives?

The resort is basically downtown, built around the volcano (apparently, property values at the base of a volcano are really low. Who knew?) and all of it is squished between the city/beach resorts and Krakatau's own version of
hi-061_sb_at_pacific_hts_lookout.jpg

Last edited:
And who ever said the island of Krakatau was a mostly deserted island populated by primitive natives?

The resort is basically downtown, built around the volcano (apparently, property values at the base of a volcano are really low. Who knew?) and all of it is squished between the city/beach resorts and Krakatau's own version of
hi-061_sb_at_pacific_hts_lookout.jpg

It's a weird one no doubt about it. Drive just outside of Honolulu and you'll see pretty much every local with a sign in their yard protesting urban development.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Cop outs are common support of theme, that doesn't really bother me.

What bothers me a little bit is this was billed as not only something that would change the game and blow all other water parks out of the water but that it would be essentially the equivalent to a full blown theme park - thus the moniker Water Theme Park. The park was a blatant oversell. It is awesome and maybe the best, but... even defenders are comparing to TL and BB, each have their pros and cons and all are debatably the best park based on personal preference, but this was suppose to un-questionably be the best, end of story. It's not.

Full disclosure - I have not been so it is understandable if you completly discount this.

Marketing tends to do their job well....kind of like 'the milk chocolate melts in your month, not on your hands'....I mean, it mentions nothing of the candy coating that covers the chocolate...but showing the guy with the white gloves that somehow stay white even while handling the candy coating.

I think asking ProSlide for their newest/best/custom slides might give marketing the ability to say it is the best water park.

The theme, somehow I knew that it was a modern water park built on an island where some water folk followed some bird or something to their new home...with a blown out volcano...I never thought the people were from the distance past.

Are there even Kunuku meet and greets? If not, there should be given her role in leading the Waturi to Volcano Bay.

May I remind everyone complaining about "OH NO EXPOSED SLIDE SUPPORTS", on Mount Everest, even though it's dark, you literally ride through a good 30 seconds of all exposed steel and can actually see it. And then when it's dark at Volcano Bay, it won't be as noticable.

^Yeah, we've heard the same exhaustive response how many times now? It's only dark at Volcano Bay for the last 15 minutes of operations right now, let's get real here. Universal stuck their neck out, called Volcano Bay more than a water park, and then built a water park with less of a theme than existing parks in the same market. You can defend it over and over and over and over and over again until the end of days, but there's nothing really special about what they've built that we haven't seen before - and that's what they chose to market to the consumer.

Nobody complains about the lack of theme at Aquatica because they know their place. It's apparent that Universal does not.

^Yeah, we've heard the same exhaustive response how many times now? It's only dark at Volcano Bay for the last 15 minutes of operations right now, let's get real here. Universal stuck their neck out, called Volcano Bay more than a water park, and then built a water park with less of a theme than existing parks in the same market. You can defend it over and over and over and over and over again until the end of days, but there's nothing really special about what they've built that we haven't seen before - and that's what they chose to market to the consumer.

Nobody complains about the lack of theme at Aquatica because they know their place. It's apparent that Universal does not.
But the lack of theme seems to be an opinion as others have said otherwise.

Reactions: HanoverFist
Is it true that some of the slips at Volcano Bay have resulted in serious injuries? One of my bosses at work just asked me how I came away unscathed from my visit because he knows from his friends over at Universal that there's been serious issues with this and referenced "the bridge" especially.

Have you been to Volcano Bay?

Is it true that some of the slips at Volcano Bay have resulted in serious injuries? One of my bosses at work just asked me how I came away unscathed from my visit because he knows from his friends over at Universal that there's been serious issues with this and referenced "the bridge" especially.
didn't they just install something on the bridge to prevent this?

I'm not even going to mention the big ear's parks but Yas found a way to rock up their slide supports for theming purposes, so should have Universal. Yaz was my benchmark for this park. Outside of the work in progress Volcano show, it doesn't really meet it. All that said, I hope for continued improvement in ops as I'm visiting next March.

Can I dislike a comment?

Edit: Volcano Bay has so many unique things about it. Almost all the water slides are new concepts, as well as a magnetic water coaster. What do you mean? Oh and also the whole tapu tapu system is a fairly new thing good or bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: wreck and Ejones81

People are slipping all the time. They put some carpeting on the bridge (that goes under the waterfall), but its so soaked (from being under the waterfall) that a layer of water just sits above it, making it even more slippy.

May I remind everyone complaining about "OH NO EXPOSED SLIDE SUPPORTS", on Mount Everest, even though it's dark, you literally ride through a good 30 seconds of all exposed steel and can actually see it. And then when it's dark at Volcano Bay, it won't be as noticable.
That used to be the case when it first opened, but the interior section of Expedition Everest is pitch black now.