VIP Experience | Inside Universal Forums

VIP Experience

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Howdy-ho, USHForums neighbor-eenos.  :lol: Has anyone here had the privilege of enjoying the VIP Experience at Universal Studios Hollywood? It's always been a dream of mine to go, but it's quite the investment. Any stories or thoughts?

I've done the Halloween Horror Nights version if that counts.

If anything, it was definitely an interesting experience. I've never been on the backlot so late at night - let alone walk it. We had a personal guide, as expected, and we briefly roamed the area surrounding Jaws. I'm sure the daytime experience is quite different, but I've personally never attended.

One day, hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done the Halloween Horror Nights version if that counts.

If anything, it was definitely an interesting experience. I've never been on the backlot so late at night - let alone walk it. We had a personal guide, as expected, and we briefly roamed the area surrounding Jaws. I'm sure the daytime experience is quite different, but I've personally never attended.

One day, hopefully.
There's a HHN version of the VIP Experience??  :blink:

No I haven't but hopefully will one day.

I wish they still offered the Annual Pass member VIP studio Tour. It was basically just the Tour segment of the VIP tour privilege but didn't include the luncheon or Gate A treatment. Which I don't need! It was like $80-something dollars and I regret not doing it when it was offered for a few years, like 2008ish/2009ish or something, I have a screen cap of the exact email offer somewhere. THAT would be amazing right now

Jon what was the Horror Nights one like? me and a few friends are going to try it out this year but I'm not sure what the tour is for that one. I know of course you get infinite front of line and the lounge but as for the tour it's a mystery.

That's the only thing holding me back from VIP (other than the price!) - what you're offered throughout the day. I honestly don't mind skipping a secret lunch-in, and I really don't need Gate A access. What I'm really interested in is actually walking through the sets I've seen countless times in a small, select group, where you can actually ask questions and learn a bit more about what goes on in the Backlot.

Jon what was the Horror Nights one like? me and a few friends are going to try it out this year but I'm not sure what the tour is for that one. I know of course you get infinite front of line and the lounge but as for the tour it's a mystery.
If I recall correctly, you have the opportunity to venture into the backlot with a small group near Old Mexico. From there, they'll take you across a path to the edge of Jaws lake. We had a slight "show" there last year, so I'm not sure if it's going to change - but don't expect anything major. It's an intimate backlot tour, but definitely not to the extent of the daylight VIP Experience.

I'd say the entire tour was 40 minutes. Cool experience, but I'm not sure I'd do the same thing again. Of course, Front of Line and the lounge were nice, but I never really used both.

I took the VIP tour in 2006 and it was literally one of the best experiences ever. Our guide, Chris, was very knowledgable and made the tour one of a kind. We went into the set for "Crossing Jordan" and walked around the prop room, Bates Motel/ Bates House, and War of the Worlds. I hear it has changed quite a bit, but I definitely recommend it!

Reactions: William
I've never taken the VIP tour myself but I used to help the guides with the JP portion of it.  A lot of the times they would contact me if they had a good group with them and I go put on my best "Park Ranger" and work with the kids on dino names and the like while the parents were getting their bags sorted out.  I don't know if that still gets done but I had a blast doing it way back then.  I'm going to be in the park soon, so maybe I'll splurge and take the tour.  If I do, I'll let you all know about it.

Egads!  I just looked at the price for the tour.  Maybe next trip (after winning the lottery).   :rolleyes:

Reactions: William
Hey Folks,

I wrote up this trip report back in 2008 when I tookthe VIP tour by myself, with a group of international tourists.  I am sure this is not a reflection of the current tour, but it is a detailed account of my experience, five years ago this August.  Just changed my profile picture from Lieutenant Columbo to one of myself with our tour guide.  I'll try to get my photos up here soon, so thanks for bearing with me.  Until then, grab your Energon and Brontosaurus Rib and settle in.

Step into your eight-passenger DeLorean Time Machine vehicle and read on...

I had the honor and pleasure to embark on a wonderful Universal VIP Experience tour on August 2nd, 2008, and I wanted to share a few details that came to my attention.

I headed down to Universal City from Santa Barbara early on a Saturday, and had a few minutes to visit the hospital from Scrubs, on Riverside Drive. After a few photos there, I took a spin around the perimeter of the Universal Property to see what I could. They've got it hidden pretty well, even from the nearby residential streets.

Valet Parking was very easy, but getting out of the garage was a challenge, with pedestrian walkway down the center of the garage. There's really no clear path to exit.

The folks in the VIP office were very friendly, took my lunch order, and introduced my guide. While we did have to wait outside in a roped off area, we were given a nice array of beverages (Coke, Diet Coke, Water, Minute Maid Juice) Never did get to go to the inside waiting area, and there were no breakfast food items.

William Collins, our Studio Guide was amazing, and is a true veteran of the studio, having been a guide for at least ten years. He was very cool with me asking a ton of behind-the-scenes questions, like how tram staff activates the attractions. I was particularly impressed how well he explained the details of the attractions to our group, composed primarily of Europeans. He went way above and beyond to make us comfortable, and ended up staying with us for a full 9 hour day.

We started in the House of Horrors at 10 AM, which I found to be anti-climactic, as I felt about most past haunted attractions at Universal. But, if you have to have one, this studio does it best, and the detail was excellent. I really enjoyed the original horror props and costumes on display in the queue.

It is a thrill to travel in a single vehicle tram to areas that most folks donít get to visit. We took a brief stop, exiting the tram, to view the Academy and Emmy Awards stored in the window of the commissary across from the "Black Tower" Lew Wasserman building. While Will told us that no photos were allowed, he let us take photos.

Stopping by the soundstage where they just finished the first season of the show LIFE was very cool, and being from a theatre and stagecraft background, I was thrilled by the detail. Being a Saturday, nothing much was happening on the lot. Our guide gave us a nice little demo on how actors hit their marks. Speaking of which, there was no storyline to our tour, just a little more depth into the art of moviemaking.

The tour went on as usual from their, avoiding the street set area (Following a major fire), and heading toward the prop warehouse. Our driver was kind enough to stop if we asked him to. Our second off the tram excursion was into the Prop Storage building. This was the highlight of the trip for me. I took so many pictures of non-descript items; it was ridiculous! I found the Airwolf chopper model! The NBC go-fer with the building key, Norman, was kind to let us linger, as a group. I recommend that you go on the tour for this stop alone. It is also in my favorite part of the lot, the true out- back-lot, where they store the old picture cars!  Just barely spotted Columbo's Peugeot.

Next, we walked over to Spartacus Square to take some group photos, stopped at Little Europe to use the restroom and check out a few interiors, and spied the blacksmith shop from Pirates of the Caribbean. We then proceeded to the Court of Miracles. Another group photo and we were back on the tram.

I was surprised that we did not get to step off the tram again. War of the Worlds is very tired, if I do say so. I wish we had been able to explore the Bates Motel, but we had a great Norman Bates actor that day, and he stared us down for quite a while. I did enjoy the new stunt demonstration in Mexico, after the Flash Flood. In fact, I was actually convinced they were preparing for a movie. Who knew? I also just barely spotted the old Runaway Train. Sigh.

In the park, we had a pretty nice lunch in the Jardin de Paris near T2-3D, with a variety of items offered. I opted for the cold roast beef rather than any seafood or chicken dish, and it was served with a nice array of vegetables, focaccia bread. Soft drinks, water, and juice were provided. Cookies, brownies, and crispy rice treats rounded out the meal. The Chef was really friendly, and took the time to talk with each person on the tour.

By the way, VIP staff member Robert was extra nice and willing to "stag-nolgia-iate" (stagnate & nostalgia) on the olden days of the visitor experience. Thanks, Robert!

Since we entered the GATE A - Front of the Line Pass, I had a hard time getting the storylines of the attractions, even though I've done them all a hundred times. The Simpsons Ride is a great ride, but it will never be BTTF. I love the queue areas at Universal, and they put Disney to shame story-wise most every time.

So, we never had to wait, and even boarded/seated in preferred spots before general and FOTL pass folks. Nice! We fit so much in the day, and ended at WaterWorld around 7 pm. It isn't Miami Vice, but it is fun, and I respect the stunt actors. To use the park's own words, it is "the best theme park stunt show" involving water and based on a 1995 Kevin Costner film. There you go.

We left feeling like a family, and I separated from the group with lots of exchanged e-mail addresses. I love this park, and now it means more to me than ever before, since I've been further backstage to share more wonderful secrets. The rest of the evening, I explored the corners and older parts of the park to enjoy the details of this beautiful place. I found props from the Star Trek Experience, among others. It was a great time.

So, what was I expecting that did not happen? I would have loved to walk around the back lot more. Enough said. We couldn't go by the prop plaza or visit the far-out-back transportation lot. Also, didn't get to go up the hill near Falls Lake. I would have loved to meet some of the performers from any of the live shows. There were no breakfast food items available, so I was very hungry when lunch rolled around. It would have been great to eat at the commissary. I know, I can dream. The VIP pass does get you 25% off food and merchandise in the park and on CityWalk, but it does not act as an All You Can Eat pass, as it did in the past. Also, to upgrade to any season passes is the same price as regular admission. Our guide took photos of us on his personal camera that he then e-mailed to us, which was great. We did not, however get receive any official pictures. Can you believe it is 10 dollars to e-mail a Simpsons photo to yourself? Ok, so not too many complaints.

My conclusion: I have to go again, because it is different every time. I encourage you to go, and report back on the special details that make your day magical. Thanks for sticking with me on this report, and please forgive any strong subjective opinions. I can't wait to go back!

Cheers!

Reactions: Jon Fu and Hey_Zeus
So, we never had to wait, and even boarded/seated in preferred spots before general and FOTL pass folks. Nice! We fit so much in the day, and ended at WaterWorld around 7 pm. It isn't Miami Vice, but it is fun, and I respect the stunt actors. To use the park's own words, it is "the best theme park stunt show" involving water and based on a 1995 Kevin Costner film. There you go.
Nice report cant wait for photos. Your right Waterworld is BETTER then Miami Vice. :p

Fantastic report, Geren, thanks for sharing. Loved your detailed descriptions.

I've never experienced the VIP Experience for the park, but I have experienced the "RIP Experience" for Halloween Horror Nights. It's definitely a truncated version of what you would normally expect for a daytime tour, but you had the opportunity to experience the area surrounding Jaws at night, followed by a walk through Old Mexico. A bit creepy, but that's the point I guess.

I saw earlier in the thread you had mentioned that tour, which sounds like a fun way to see the artistry, even though I'm not personally interested in attending HHN.  I would love to see them get into differently focused tours at various price points.  Maybe a historical studio tour, and one that focuses on production, and another that goes behind the development of the park, etc.  As a funny aside, when I was in Junior High School, I had a commercial acting agent in Studio City.  One time I had an audition on the Universal lot, and although I only remember it vaguely, it was pretty surreal to have my mom drive me to an audition.  I'm pretty sure only we entered the upper Lankershim gate and went to one of the small buildings and no further, but I did dream of of venturing further.

I did the VIP tour in 2006. Let me just keep things short here. Worth every penny.

We got the full studio tour experiance. Walked the set of Boston Legal, got to wander courthouse square, went into the sound-mixing studio and folly stages in the front lot, were able to freely explore the props department and got front of the line passes to all the rides. If I could afford it again, I certainly would do it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: gpiltz
Fantastic report, Geren, thanks for sharing. Loved your detailed descriptions.

I've never experienced the VIP Experience for the park, but I have experienced the "RIP Experience" for Halloween Horror Nights. It's definitely a truncated version of what you would normally expect for a daytime tour, but you had the opportunity to experience the area surrounding Jaws at night, followed by a walk through Old Mexico. A bit creepy, but that's the point I guess.
I saw you mentioned a bit of a "show" near the Jaws area. Can you share what that was? If you don't want to spoil it for anybody, just contact me direct. I'm curious about that.

I haven't done the VIP tour yet, but my boyfriend and I are planning to do it sometime before the end of the year. I've been watching a bunch of videos people have taken during it and it looks really rad. I'm mostly interested in the prop room (Mummmyyyyyyy props yay) and the backlot (Bates motel in particular).

I'm a bit curious as well! haha
I didn't think it was a big deal, but I'll give you all the gist of it: you walk near Amity. Noises in the water. Candles everywhere. More walking. You see a haunted house with a scare actor in it. No interaction, and you walk back on the tram.

Oh, and it's all carried by a story. Something about a husband and wife crew that died in the lake. It's an interesting concept, but I wasn't really paying attention. Was stoked just being able to walk on Cabot Cove.