USF vs IOA | Inside Universal Forums

USF vs IOA

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 31, 2009
With all due respect to the amazing theming and detail at IOA, I'm sorry but USF with all their upgrades the last several years has quietly caught up to it. This is a remarkable development, when you consider where USF stood not that long ago.

Comparing the two parks' offerings side by side, let's assume the two HP areas cancel each other out (which I think is fair to say). If those two cancel each other out, you're left with an IOA that has added just 1 ride since the park's opening (Storm Force Accelatron in '00). Over that same period of time, USF has added:

Men In Black
Revenge of the Mummy
Shrek 4D
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
Despicable Me
The Simpsons Ride
Kang Kodos
Transformers
Cinematic Spectacular (And IOA still hasn't had a night time show)

I still think IOA has the best individual ride (Spiderman) and better overall theming, but in terms of refreshing their rides, USF has been the better park, and the park that has made it more enticing to keep coming back. After 15 years of being an AP, I often lose that feeling for IOA. I think Kong is coming at a good time, that park really needs something big. It's funny because this is what we said about USF not too long ago.

Last edited:
Personally I think USF is a far better park. IoA is great (they're 1/2 in my Florida rankings) but USF just has more I want to do every time I'm in the park. IoA's heavy water ride focus, which will be helped by Kong and other additions, just leaves 1/3 of the park's big rides out of the picture a lot of the days I'm there.

You are right. It's exciting to have both parks on such a high level now.

My favorite thing about USF is that most of the rides are indoors and air conditioned haha. Great for when it's hot or rainy.

In addition to Storm Force, Islands also added Flying Unicorn and the Seuss Trolley - plus Poseidon show change and Spidey upgrades. Various shows in the Toon Lagoon theater over the years.

I've always felt the Studios to be the superior park in terms of things to actually do, partially due to Islands' overemphasis on water rides.

I also prefer USF. Ive always thought IOA's theming is highly overrated...MSHI and Toon Lagoon are full of cardboard cutouts, there are many visible showbuildings, and the islands themselves are almost too small to be truly immersive (JP and WWOHP notwithstanding). Like has been previously stated, the water ride focus is undesirable. And the walkways are just way too tiny.

USF has none of these problems. The themed areas (particularly New York, Hollywood, Springfield, and presumably Diagon) are large, fully fleshed out, and are based in reality. Showbuildings are either themed, hidden, or built as soundstages which lends to the studio theme where needed. Focusing solely on attraction lineup, the majority of IOA's rides are highly-themed standard amusement park fare, while USF has many more one-of-a-kind ride experiences...it also has more shows making it more well-rounded. IOA is also stagnant throughout the year in terms of events...its always the same park. USF has HHN, Mardi Gras, summer concerts, and the better Christmas decorations/events. I love USF.

While IOA's probably the more beautiful park, the Studios have a lot more to do. Generally, on a vacation, I usually spend about double the time in the Studios as opposed to IOA. With Diagon, that will probably be even more. I generally think of IOA as more of a thrill ride park, catering to teenagers, while the Studios is more adult oriented. But on a really hot day, I'll be hitting the IOA water rides, even though I'm on the old side. But I love both parks.

Moved to appropriate forum. Why was this even in the Diagon Alley discussion?...

Anyways, yeah. I prefer USF to IOA. :lol:

In addition to Storm Force, Islands also added Flying Unicorn and the Seuss Trolley - plus Poseidon show change and Spidey upgrades. Various shows in the Toon Lagoon theater over the years.

I didn't list Flying Unicorn because I didn't list Gringott's. They are both part of the HP expansions which I cancelled out. Also, I could have counted Jimmy Neutron at USF (which turned into Despicable Me).

The Seuss Trolley, does that really count as an "added" attraction? :)

USF hands down. IOA is a good park with better theming, but if you don't do Hulk or Dragons (like me), there really isn't much to do the majority of the year since all Toon Lagoon and JP have are water rides (minus PF but the majority cant do that).

IOA no competition, maybe it's my nostalgia or not going to diagon yet but I just adore this park. Every land has a unlimited amount of Easter eggs that it's just overwhelming. I'm still finding little things today and it's been 15 years. That and the attraction lineup for IOA is unmatched. While I love the studio park, it has a bunch of stinkers and I hate the fact that there are pre shows to pretty much everything making re ride ability non existent. There isn't one ride at IOA I will pass off. All the big boy rides deserve their title and I've done the "do every ride at IOA challenge" multiple times and I'll do it right now if I could teleport. Overall both are awesome but IOA takes the cake and it's only going to get better with kong

I didn't list Flying Unicorn because I didn't list Gringott's. They are both part of the HP expansions which I cancelled out. Also, I could have counted Jimmy Neutron at USF (which turned into Despicable Me).

The Seuss Trolley, does that really count as an "added" attraction? :)

Well, Flying Unicorn happened 9 years before the Potter addition...

Well, Flying Unicorn happened 9 years before the Potter addition...

Yep, it was done independently of Potter - IMO, it counts. And the Sky Trolley absolutely counts... it was a new attraction, regardless of when it was intended to open. Hell, the Trolley is a fairly different experience than what we would've originally gotten had Sylvester McMonkey McBean opened as planned...

Originally, I was all about IOA but over time I started to realize USF is the better park. This was before Diagon Alley opened too, the fact it's open now makes it a no brainer. For me, more things to do and less crowds since IOA has been the more popular park for the most part. I do think IOA could use some more indoor attractions too, it's a difficult park to tackle in Florida heat because nearly everything minus Spider-Man, FJ and CitH is outside.

IOA has some awesome coasters and it's lands are better themed than USF's (minus DA of course) but USF just is a more relaxed and enjoyable feeling to me. Thing is, in Spring 2013 USF was behind so that is what makes things so awesome to me. Over the past year we've gotten Transformers, Springfield and Diagon Alley and it's all made USF such a better park. KidZone getting re-done is going to make it that much better too.

1994-2001 USF
2001-2009 IOA
2009- Present USF

I Was all USF until IOA opened.
When Kong, ET and BTTF were eliminated it did damage. Then Jaws was the final blow. (But I got over Jaws)
I was in my teenage years and always loved to get wet on rides. IOA Was better themed, had more going on outside. Then HP showed up ( Wasnt fond of him at first)
But Now with Transformers, Rockit (Best Coaster AT UOR) and Mummy and MIB and DA USF wins the cake. I love the eateries at USF better, te lagoon show as well!

Yep, it was done independently of Potter - IMO, it counts. And the Sky Trolley absolutely counts... it was a new attraction, regardless of when it was intended to open. Hell, the Trolley is a fairly different experience than what we would've originally gotten had Sylvester McMonkey McBean opened as planned...

Then you can count it, but then you'd also have to count Jimmy Neutron, which I omitted. The bottom line with IOA, is unless you go all the way to the back where Hogsmeade is (which obviously is brilliant), the park looks and feels exactly like it did when it opened up in 1999. That's a long time ago. I know they tried their very best to "future proof" the park when they designed it, but 15 years is 15 years, and at some point you do need a refresh. I wonder how much of a refresh Kong will provide it.

Right now they're pretty much tied for me. When I look at it theming wise I pick IOA hands down(even though Diagon is in a league of its own). Ride wise, USF is so strong with Transformers, MIB, Mummy, and now Gringotts all as must dos, but IOA is slightly higher, with Forbidden Journey, Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, Dudley, Popeye, Hulk, and soon Kong. Show wise, USF wins that match easily...with Animal Actors, Horror Makeup Show, Terminator, and Shrek, it's no contest.

I think right now they're even, but come next year it'll be IOA...and after the Kidzone redo it'll probably swing back to USF.

Just shows how good both Uni parks are!

Then you can count it, but then you'd also have to count Jimmy Neutron, which I omitted. The bottom line with IOA, is unless you go all the way to the back where Hogsmeade is (which obviously is brilliant), the park looks and feels exactly like it did when it opened up in 1999. That's a long time ago. I know they tried their very best to "future proof" the park when they designed it, but 15 years is 15 years, and at some point you do need a refresh. I wonder how much of a refresh Kong will provide it.
How isn't neutron a new experience? I also think IOA doesn't need to be updated, it's pretty much a full day park and it'll always be new to someone else. I still think it holds up today almost too well. The only real outdated section is toon lagoon and even then it's not that bad, funnies still exist today and while very little read them it's still a big part of pop culture. Also who doesn't love the Popeye cartoons? The rides there are so much fun you don't even care about the IP's attached to them

If you like roller coasters and water rides, IOA is really hard to beat.

Just make sure to bring a change of clothes with you.

UOR is definitely improving, but for many years I couldn't find a reason to even visit besides Mummy. I would probably never ride Simpsons, MIB, T2, or Shrek ever again.

IOA doesn't have a ride I dislike, I even like Cat in the Hat.