Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 209 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kFFq1iu.jpg

This was the proposed additional land transfer that fell through (before Stan Thomas ended up suing to try to prevent a new theme park):

#1 (the Green properties on the right) + #2 (the Blue properties) would have been transferred to Universal. It looks like it's at least 500 additional acres. Stan Thomas would have kept the Yellow properties (and that Dark Green parcel) so that he'd have valuable land to build on when the 2nd resort is up and running.

Now, I'm not sure how this is all going to play out with the lawsuit still pending, but that's something to keep in mind; eventually this deal could get done and we could be talking about a 1000+ acre set of land (including SLRC).

Holy...

Weird question, but how big is golf in Orlando? It seems like golf is dwindling in popularity. And since the courses use so much land, I figured there would be a push to develop them soon. There was a small course on the Vegas Strip that's now being developed on because the land is worth more than the course.

The better question would be, how much does Disney make for their golf courses.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Weird question, but how big is golf in Orlando? It seems like golf is dwindling in popularity. And since the courses use so much land, I figured there would be a push to develop them soon. There was a small course on the Vegas Strip that's now being developed on because the land is worth more than the course.
Pretty big, there's 3 Golf megastores at turkey lake and sand lake, Bay Hill (Arnold Palmer Invitational -- They use the Uni Garages as parking for it), Isleworth, Disney, and the Headquarters of the Golf Channel is actually on the map showing the new land. (NE of Kirkman/Sand Lake)

Reactions: SeventyOne
Pretty big, there's 3 Golf megastores at turkey lake and sand lake, Bay Hill (Arnold Palmer Invitational -- They use the Uni Garages as parking for it), Isleworth, Disney, and the Headquarters of the Golf Channel is actually on the map showing the new land. (NE of Kirkman/Sand Lake)
Isn't there a new driving range being built in that map too?

I got one idea most of you guys aren't thinking about. Other than Nintendo, what if they brought other video game properties to the new Universal park? Warner Brothers is already making a Minecraft movie, it also owns Blumhouse, who is making a Five Nights at Freddy's movie, which already has theme park ride concept art out. Speaking of Blumhouse, why not make a horror themed land? Why not make a deal with Six Flags to bring DC Comics to the park? Add in a possible anime land, Nintendo properties, Potter, Dreamworks, and Jurassic Park, you have a lot of possibilities.

Last edited:
I got one idea most of you guys aren't thinking about. Other than Nintendo, what if they brought other video game properties to the new Universal park? Warner Brothers is already making a Minecraft movie, it also owns Blumhouse, who is making a Five Nights at Freddy's movie, which already has theme park ride concept art out. Speaking of Blumhouse, why not make a horror themed land? Why not make a deal with Six Flags to bring DC Comics to the park? Add in a possible anime land, Nintendo properties, Potter, Dreamworks, and Jurassic Park, you have a lot of possibilities.

Why go for a lower end IP when you can go and use another IP from one of the most iconic video game companies?

Which lower end IP?

FNAF, Minecraft, or any video game IP that isn't from Nintendo.

Nintendo, has a plethora of Intellectual properties that can be used for any land, and that I think Zelda and Pokemon being pulled from the original SNW plans is very telling.

Nintendo is an iconic name of entertainment, and that there is a lot of gain that can be made.

But, that should be save for the Fourth Gate Thread.

Golf is huge and an "on-site" luxury golf resort with access to the parks would be a big draw for us Northerners who only get to play 5 months out of the year- especially in the winter.

Dad gets to spend a morning or afternoon on the links while mom & the kids get to spend money at the Resort.

I wholeheartedly agree, on a financial level as-well.

It will get another area of income for Universal, and that you don't have to do much for it. All in All, it's a good win for them if they go forward with Golf.

FNAF, Minecraft, or any video game IP that isn't from Nintendo.

Nintendo, has a plethora of Intellectual properties that can be used for any land, and that I think Zelda and Pokemon being pulled from the original SNW plans is very telling.

Nintendo is an iconic name of entertainment, and that there is a lot of gain that can be made.

But, that should be save for the Fourth Gate Thread.

I wholeheartedly agree, on a financial level as-well.

It will get another area of income for Universal, and that you don't have to do much for it. All in All, it's a good win for them if they go forward with Golf.
Umm, do you not realize how popular Minecraft is? I'm not a big fan myself, but that is already one of the most popular video games of all time. FNAF is one of the most well-known horror franchises of the last decade with a huge fanbase. Plus, both FNAF and Minecraft have movies coming out within the next three or four years. But I would like to see Splatoon come to life in the new park or citywalk. That would be awesome

Edit: Isn't Zelda rumored to be coming to IOA? Pokemon is definitely going into the new park though. And there's plenty of room for Zelda if it comes to the fourth gate. This could end up being a 200-250 acre park, depending on how Universal uses the space. There's plenty of room

Umm, do you not realize how popular Minecraft is? I'm not a big fan myself, but that is already one of the most popular video games of all time. FNAF is one of the most well-known horror franchises of the last decade with a huge fanbase. Plus, both FNAF and Minecraft have movies coming out within the next three or four years. But I would like to see Splatoon come to life in the new park or citywalk. That would be awesome

Five Nights at Freddy's is a Niche franchise. While I wish Blumhouse well with the film, I would say that you could see it for Horror Nights as a standalone house as opposed to anything else; and that is an if.

As for Minecraft, I can not see that at all have any potential for a land, regardless of it's popularity.

Nintendo has the history and is iconic. It brought the video game industry back from the dead because of the release of the Nintendo Entertainment System, and you can tell that from the success of the NESC (and the SNESC) selling out like hotcakes.

Hell, the Switch is having large lotteries in Japan and that they are selling out fast, even with the pickup of production.

Nintendo will have a presence south. That seems to be a most likely matter of fact. The question is, how and in what scope.

What I am curious of, is how the park will interact with virtually everything else.

Five Nights at Freddy's is a Niche franchise. While I wish Blumhouse well with the film, I would say that you could see it for Horror Nights as a standalone house as opposed to anything else; and that is an if.

As for Minecraft, I can not see that at all have any potential for a land, regardless of it's popularity.

Nintendo has the history and is iconic. It brought the video game industry back from the dead because of the release of the Nintendo Entertainment System, and you can tell that from the success of the NESC (and the SNESC) selling out like hotcakes.

Hell, the Switch is having large lotteries in Japan and that they are selling out fast, even with the pickup of production.

Nintendo will have a presence south. That seems to be a most likely matter of fact. The question is, how and in what scope.

What I am curious of, is how the park will interact with virtually everything else.
Ok, I agree with some of that. But you could easily do a lot with Minecraft. Minecarts and the Nether anyone? But I think Nintendo will have a big presence, with there possibly being another Mario land, using the concepts we won't see in the land at USO (not zelda or pokemon, I mean luigi mansion and Bowser, maybe a new ride as well.) Also, what would we see in the new water park? What would you want to see?

Last edited:

Minecraft wouldn't be bad at all- I have zero interest- but Minecraft Merch sells a ton and the land itself just using pixelated blocks would lend itself well to a land. It certainly isn't a "lower end IP". It's very front of mind right now- I'd argue it is bigger than Fast & the Furious, and would sell more merch.

FNaF wouldn't be as good as say- any of Universal's Monster IPs.

The one that really has the most potential is DC. Wonder woman is a smash hit with girls. A Gritty Batman. Superman is endless. And with the upcoming Daredevil, Aquaman, etc films and IPs- it would be massive. The only thing is- I don't see any way possible that Six Flags ever gives up that IP. Half their coasters are named after them- almost every park has expanded intentionally in the "gotham" areas. They'd have to retheme the largest land at every single one of their parks and also lose out on their biggest merchandise seller.
So I'd love Uni to have DC- but unfortunately, that ship has sailed. Had DC and Uni come to an agreement back in the 90s before switching to Marvel- then we'd be seeing two very different things in Orlando. Spiderman wouldve been a batman ride and we likely would see bigger updates on DCSHI. Marvel land somewhere at DHS, etc.

Minecraft wouldn't be bad at all- I have zero interest- but Minecraft Merch sells a ton and the land itself just using pixelated blocks would lend itself well to a land. It certainly isn't a "lower end IP". It's very front of mind right now- I'd argue it is bigger than Fast & the Furious, and would sell more merch.

FNaF wouldn't be as good as say- any of Universal's Monster IPs.

The one that really has the most potential is DC. Wonder woman is a smash hit with girls. A Gritty Batman. Superman is endless. And with the upcoming Daredevil, Aquaman, etc films and IPs- it would be massive. The only thing is- I don't see any way possible that Six Flags ever gives up that IP. Half their coasters are named after them- almost every park has expanded intentionally in the "gotham" areas. They'd have to retheme the largest land at every single one of their parks and also lose out on their biggest merchandise seller.
So I'd love Uni to have DC- but unfortunately, that ship has sailed. Had DC and Uni come to an agreement back in the 90s before switching to Marvel- then we'd be seeing two very different things in Orlando. Spiderman wouldve been a batman ride and we likely would see bigger updates on DCSHI. Marvel land somewhere at DHS, etc.
I think Six Flags and Universal will come to a agreement somehow. After all, Six Flags wouldn't have to give it up, it would just be shared between them. And Universal has money. Also, why not have FNAF in a horror themed land?

Minecraft is extraordinarily popular, especially with kids, and wouldn't be a bad choice for a land at all. There's a decent amount of potential for attractions, such as a minetrain rollercoaster or something to do with the monsters that exist in that world. However, I also think there's really no reason to grab for that IP either. They already have Nintendo, I think bringing in any other game IPs would be pushing it. Video games being adapted to major theme parks is still something completely untested.

Minecraft is extraordinarily popular, especially with kids, and wouldn't be a bad choice for a land at all. There's a decent amount of potential for attractions, such as a minetrain rollercoaster or something to do with the monsters that exist in that world. However, I also think there's really no reason to grab for that IP either. They already have Nintendo, I think bringing in any other game IPs would be pushing it. Video games being adapted to major theme parks is still something completely untested.
It would also give them a edge over Disney during a time where they really need it, with everything Disney is getting.

Edit: Does Universal own or license Sony Properties?

Last edited:
I think Six Flags and Universal will come to a agreement somehow. After all, Six Flags wouldn't have to give it up, it would just be shared between them. And Universal has money. Also, why not have FNAF in a horror themed land?
Warner controls the overall DC rights in a general sense; Six Flags has temporary DC theme park rights on a contract that they likely renegotiate around 2027-2028 (other Warner/Six Flags agreements expire around then).

Six Flags can't assign its rights (I believe) and a corporate takeover of Six Flags would possibly allow Warner to end the license.

If you're hoping for DC in Orlando, you need to hope that Warner carves out Florida in their next re-up of Six Flags's US DC license.

But no one has a themed golf gate in Orlando!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.