Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 204 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess. after F&F comes tear down of DC & new HP area, then Nintendo. In between minor stuff, FJ projection show & new Christmas season offerings.
I should have been more specific but that's sounds like a plan I was curious about the in between so projects is what I meant because once volcano Bay is open do they send all of those people two particularly work on all hotels or just something minor that Universal has up their sleeve that hasn't been announced yet I think it will be interesting to see as we seen construction Crews move from one project to the other in the last couple of years

I should have been more specific but that's sounds like a plan I was curious about the in between so projects is what I meant because once volcano Bay is open do they send all of those people two particularly work on all hotels or just something minor that Universal has up their sleeve that hasn't been announced yet I think it will be interesting to see as we seen construction Crews move from one project to the other in the last couple of years
Most of those people are employed by outside contractors like Nassal and various sub contractors.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn

The people working on VB right now probably won't be at the WNW or south property for a while. The workers there now are finish workers and those other projects need more dirtwork and utility workers for a while.

Poor Nassal. I am unaware of them having another Universal project to hop on right now. I am unaware of them having any major US projects. Perhaps they are onto numerous lesser things. Nothing in your face like Kong or VB.
What happened? They seemed to be Universal's hottest contractor for a long time.

What happened? They seemed to be Universal's hottest contractor for a long time.

It's a timing thing... they might sculpt some rockwork for Aventura but I cannot think of anything else. Could be a huge number of temp layoffs after VB. It appears that Nintendo and Pets just aren't ready to go and F&F just won't have that much sculpting short of the exterior which is nearing completion.

On the other hand, Nassal is equally well know for fine commercial interior work so that will employ a whole different set of skills.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
It's a timing thing... they might sculpt some rockwork for Aventura but I cannot think of anything else. Could be a huge number of temp layoffs after VB. It appears that Nintendo and Pets just aren't ready to go and F&F just won't have that much sculpting short of the exterior which is nearing completion.

On the other hand, Nassal is equally well know for fine commercial interior work so that will employ a whole different set of skills.
Does Nassal do any of the interior design for the resort hotels?

This is getting off topic but does Disney really hire that many college students in the parks?
Short answer is yes and it is actually extremely competitive to get into the program. They have 3 gated properties for CP housing which are pretty decent in size. My daughter is currently a Culinary Program intern on her externship from culinary school. My son will be going to Disney as a CP attractions operator from August until January.

This is getting off topic but does Disney really hire that many college students in the parks? Does Universal do anything similar?
Disney CP'S get less pay than regular cast members with no benefits. They also charge CP cast memberS over $100 a week for housing where they are crammed in a tiny apartment with 5 other people and have to share a room with someone. Essentially they take a large portion of the CP cast members money back from them for the privilege of staying in over priced housing that's no where close any of the parks. The whole program is just a way to get a lot of cheap labor at the parks and they force them to work 50-70 hours a week in some cases. In turn Disney gets a large tax break for offering the program.

Universal does not have a comparable program.

Last edited:
Disney CP'S get less pay than regular cast members with no benefits. They also charge CP cast memberS over $100 a week for housing where they are crammed in a tiny apartment with 5 other people and have to share a room with someone. Essentially they take a large portion of the CP cast members money back from them for the privilege of staying in over priced housing that's no where close any of the parks. The whole program is just a way to get a lot of cheap labor at the parks and they force them to work 50-70 hours a week in some cases. In turn Disney gets a large tax break for offering the program.

Universal does not have a comparable program.

Off-topic, but if anything, @darkridelover is under-selling the sleaziness of this program. CPs pay that $100/week even if they find other housing and don't live there. International CPs have been dropped off at 11 p.m. to find a room with no sheets, towels, even toilet paper. And while there is a veneer of "education," most CPs work in a field far outside their major (I mean, not sure what college major custodial work or ride ops could even apply to), and many are promised one area then assigned another.

And let's not get into the questionable interpretations of visa requirements--at one point last Summer, Pinocchio Village Haus (the faux Italian place in Fantasyland) was staffed exclusively with Shanghai guest workers here to teach us about their native culture. Had no idea cardboard pizza was so big in China.

Back to @GadgetGuru's original point--it is definitely becoming more difficult, especially as housing prices in the immediate area--MetroWest, Sea World--keep rising at crazy levels. UOR tends to offer more money and also offers park admission benefits, which will help them, but this is a real issue facing all the Orlando parks in the immediate future. It makes no sense to commute an hour for a barely over minimum wage job.

Status
Not open for further replies.