Universal Kids Resort - Frisco, Texas | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Kids Resort - Frisco, Texas

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Texas is huge market within itself so this hurting the Orlando parks is a bit overstated. This definitely doesn’t have any bearing on WDW.

It’s really the equivalent of a Legoland so the demographics are extremely niche.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
The boat ride looks a bit more like a Park-wide version of Storybook Canal Boats at Disneyland imo. Of course the park as a whole probably won’t be much bigger than Disneyland’s Fantasyland + Toon Town.
Voyage to the Crystal Grotto or Storybook Canal Boats would be the best case scenario. Worse/likely case it's just a boat ride through the existing lands without any vignettes or animated figures of its own.

The ride path also seems like it could be extended with the arrival of additional lands. The boats could branch off from Shrek, do a u-turn in the expansion plot, then come back down towards Camp Cretaceous.

Legoland California pre-expansion might be the better comparison when it comes to space.

Last edited:
Couple of small thoughts:

1)The Shrek Spinner might be the best idea for a spinner I’ve ever seen.

As opposed to dumbo or a number of other spinners that use the same character- which never makes logical sense; This one actually makes sense as it’s the mom dragon in the middle, and the flying baby donkey/dragons for ride vehicles. Combine that with the music and inevitable donkey comments, and that thing is gold.

2) Using the original concept art (that was likely submitted to the city vs the new one that seems finalized)- let’s talk parking lots. Good times.

Obviously the new one has a small(?) parking garage under the Madagascar area. But the original one submitted to city didn’t and had loads of parking all around.
A) I’m curious what that small garage will be used for.
B) If they do have that much flat garage space (which is likely as it’s dirt cheap to pour compared to anything else)- just remember it doesn’t have to be permanent. They certainly have future blue sky expansion spots in mind where they can build parking garages instead and free up space like Epic universe.

3) I legit think they’re going to have a capacity problem right off the bat. That’s how successful I think this thing will be. Even at $100/pp. People in this area won’t blink at that price point and APs are going to be massive- even if $400/pp.

Lastly, based on a local news article:
“Universal said 30 of the 97 acres it purchased will be used for the park and hotel.
Both will be built on the northeast side of the property leaving space for parking, “an easy exit and entrance,” and room for expansion for future development said Page Thompson, president of new ventures for Universal Parks and Resorts.”

Unsure if that 30 acres includes back of house, but likely (though back of house wouldn’t be big anyway).

Last edited:
Couple of small thoughts:

1)The Shrek Spinner might be the best idea for a spinner I’ve ever seen.

As opposed to dumbo or a number of other spinners that use the same character- which never makes logical sense; This one actually makes sense as it’s the mom dragon in the middle, and the flying baby donkey/dragons for ride vehicles. Combine that with the music and inevitable donkey comments, and that thing is gold.

2) Using the original concept art (that was likely submitted to the city vs the new one that seems finalized)- let’s talk parking lots. Good times.

Obviously the new one has a small(?) parking garage under the Madagascar area. But the original one submitted to city didn’t and had loads of parking all around.
A) I’m curious what that small garage will be used for.
B) If they do have that much flat garage space (which is likely as it’s dirt cheap to pour compared to anything else)- just remember it doesn’t have to be permanent. They certainly have future blue sky expansion spots in mind where they can build parking garages instead and free up space like Epic universe.

3) I legit think they’re going to have a capacity problem right off the bat. That’s how successful I think this thing will be. Even at $100/pp. People in this area won’t blink at that price point and APs are going to be massive- even if $400/pp.

Lastly, based on a local news article:
“Universal said 30 of the 97 acres it purchased will be used for the park and hotel.
Both will be built on the northeast side of the property leaving space for parking, “an easy exit and entrance,” and room for expansion for future development said Page Thompson, president of new ventures for Universal Parks and Resorts.”

Unsure if that 30 acres includes back of house, but likely (though back of house wouldn’t be big anyway).
I actually don't think there will be underground parking. I think the wall between the road and the land is more than likely just an element of Madagascar that makes the area look elevated. There's also no reason to do underground parking when you have fair weather and 40-60 acres of parking space pre-expansion.

I fully agree and wrote more here:

TL;dr the overhead view Jim posted appears to be a placeholder layouts but the expansion pads line up. It could be easy to see it UOR-ified.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
Garages are incredibly expensive compared to surface lots and most parks aren't starved for acreage. Universal uses garages at both of their parks to save space. I can't think of any other parks outside of Disneyland that have garages.

Garages are incredibly expensive compared to surface lots and most parks aren't starved for acreage. Universal uses garages at both of their parks to save space. I can't think of any other parks outside of Disneyland that have garages.
Thats so true....sea world, six flags, Knotts...and Lego land for guest does not but Legoland do use a garage for cast members

I would hope this this small of a park they could have a mixture of both, one to save some space but the rest if just lots

Here is some food for though: WBD is selling off it's music division to trim some of that 50 billon in debt. WBD is trying to trim the fat to become more lean for a potential merger. And maybe if NBCU buys WBD, they can bulk up these kids friendly parks with Cartoon Network characters. CN characters would be a perfect fit for these parks as the franchises they represent are popular with kids but not popular enough to warrant rides or be a good fit in the Universal parks proper.

I began to investigate land ownership but hit a brick wall thanks to a county website just not working, I believe Universal have essentially future proofed this site, like they did with Epic, and given them huge scope for much bigger expansion.
This might give you all a bit of food for thought, possibly upgrading or downgrading ambitions of spec maps:

Here is some food for though: WBD is selling off it's music division to trim some of that 50 billon in debt. WBD is trying to trim the fat to become more lean for a potential merger. And maybe if NBCU buys WBD, they can bulk up these kids friendly parks with Cartoon Network characters. CN characters would be a perfect fit for these parks as the franchises they represent are popular with kids but not popular enough to warrant rides or be a good fit in the Universal parks proper.
While I'm not against it, I honestly don't think they are hurting for IP's

The main parks have Nintendo and Potter. These parks can use dream works and illumination since they aren't big parks and most rides will be cheaper/more simple.

But if WB is selling things off also means they think Dexter Lab has zero value and because CN has been run more poorly then say Nick, which while Nick also isn't perfect but people still seem to love Rugrats and other older cartoons seem to still have love because they keep trying to reboot the shows/sold merch for years with the characters faces.

I honestly can't the last time I saw CN cartoon merch vs Nick/Disney merch from the 90s

So if Universal has ways to use the characters I'm all for it but Universal is partner with Nick as well and if they let contracts expire they have Spondgebob, Rugrats, Avatar the Last Airbender (which is coming back) etc to add to new mini lands at future parks as well as Things like Transformers which is also having more films and a great adaption over on Netflix

If they take out the West parking and eventually expand to 45 acres....that is a sizable park. The Southeast lot could become a parking garage.

re: land ownership. Given that the land sales were just done in December, will take a while for the county sites to update appropriately but a good portion of the land directly to the east was sold to a well-known land developer, John Landon, back in December - probably around the same time the land was sold to Universal.

Fields - Frisco, TX - Builder strikes land deal for 1,200 homes near PGA’s new Frisco headquarters - this article talks about what was purchased, the reference to "East Village" is the land directly to the east of what Universal purchased. But they do say that they are not planning to start development of those townhomes until early 2025.

Below is the image that the city had shown in a townhall meeting last week if it helps. It has been a while since I last looked, but I am pretty sure there's a separate developer from Fields that owns part of the land south of Panther Creek on that east side and some of it is owned by the City.

1673805861013.png

Last edited:
I began to investigate land ownership but hit a brick wall thanks to a county website just not working, I believe Universal have essentially future proofed this site, like they did with Epic, and given them huge scope for much bigger expansion.
This might give you all a bit of food for thought, possibly upgrading or downgrading ambitions of spec maps:

re: land ownership. Given that the land sales were just done in December, will take a while for the county sites to update appropriately but a good portion of the land directly to the east was sold to a well-known land developer, John Landon, back in December - probably around the same time the land was sold to Universal.

Fields - Frisco, TX - Builder strikes land deal for 1,200 homes near PGA’s new Frisco headquarters - this article talks about what was purchased, the reference to "East Village" is the land directly to the east of what Universal purchased. But they do say that they are not planning to start development of those townhomes until early 2025.

Below is the image that the city had shown in a townhall meeting last week if it helps.

View attachment 18188

I think the question about the status of the plots to the east is legit. You'd think Universal has at least had the conversation with the housing developer about delaying his project. While the scope of this park is just a small kids park for now, if this does huge business, expanding to a full Uni park has to at least be somewhere in their thought process.

There, also appears to be a lot of undeveloped land across the street to the Southeast. While not ideal, it's another option.

From what I understand the whole point of these small park projects is for them to not be big. The 97 acres is more than enough for the main kiddie park, with some extra expansions added over time, and a second gate (probably a small water park) for ticket add ons.

If anyone is ever expecting anything other than a kiddie park here, you’re going to be disappointed. Big emphasis on character greetings, play areas, and outdoor flat rides and kiddie coasters. Maybe a couple small shows too. I would not expect elaborate or immersive dark rides.