Universal Great Britain | Page 75 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it'll have Beijing like elements, the Hotel over the gate and more covered areas etc etc. But I don't see it being a Beijing repeat, they certainly won't do that Kung Fu Panda indoor area.
Yeah Kung Fu panda obviously appeals more to that market than here. Paddington is a good choice in its place possibly. Still think it’s highly likely we’ll see Jurassic World and maybe a more unique version of Harry Potter.

... they certainly won't do that Kung Fu Panda indoor area.
Or any other purely indoor land, with a bit of luck. I really dislike the Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness in Beijing, not because of the IP but because of the ugly roof over the land that you simply can't not see. By all means take some measures to account for the weather, but I really, really hope that Universal Creative don't just stick a roof or a canopy over parts of the park that would normally be open air. I think it's the quickest way to kill the conceit of a fully immersive environment if you turn it in to something like a weatherproof shopping mall.

If I'm honest I'm not even seeing why we need more covered areas, or indoor rides than the normal Universal Park, I've never felt the British weather is particularly bad. It's not like a normal rainy day would be extreme enough to make the outdoor attractions unuseable or anything.

If I'm honest I'm not even seeing why we need more covered areas, or indoor rides than the normal Universal Park, I've never felt the British weather is particularly bad. It's not like a normal rainy day would be extreme enough to make the outdoor attractions unuseable or anything.
I agree. Obviously a proportion of the ride and attractions will be indoors, so entirely weatherproof, but I think there are some minor adjustments that can be made, such as no uncovered queue area to protect guests against rain while they are standing there. Disneyland Paris did a good job on that point, with the corridors either side of Main Street and a single covered walkway which allows you to get to the back of the park, near Pirates, almost entirely under cover. But generally speaking with the right clothing there should be no weather which makes a day in the park unbearable for a location near Bedford. I've had plenty of lovely visits to DLP when it has rained all day; on one occasional it snowed and that was quite magical. Equally I've been soaked to the skin in the typical Orlando summer storms. Still had fun. I think there's been a bit of an over-reaction to how 'bad' the weather is in the UK.

Sticking an ugly roof on things would make it less fun for me.

Reactions: Chessy and xtpower
I agree. Obviously a proportion of the ride and attractions will be indoors, so entirely weatherproof, but I think there are some minor adjustments that can be made, such as no uncovered queue area to protect guests against rain while they are standing there. Disneyland Paris did a good job on that point, with the corridors either side of Main Street and a single covered walkway which allows you to get to the back of the park, near Pirates, almost entirely under cover. But generally speaking with the right clothing there should be no weather which makes a day in the park unbearable for a location near Bedford. I've had plenty of lovely visits to DLP when it has rained all day; on one occasional it snowed and that was quite magical. Equally I've been soaked to the skin in the typical Orlando summer storms. Still had fun. I think there's been a bit of an over-reaction to how 'bad' the weather is in the UK.

Sticking an ugly roof on things would make it less fun for me.

Some of the comments sounded like they were talking about a winter in Bedford like it was in Siberia.

Frankly any Brit visiting the Park will know to wear the right clothing for a dreary day or if it gets a bit chilly. The foreign visitors should be comfortable too, after all most of them will have done the London tourist spots so will be aware of what British weather requires.

I think my main fear is that Universal will build this amazing immersive outside World and then none of the rides interact with it cos they're all indoors cos people hyped up our weather. Fortunately all signs point to the Universal team fully understanding how benign our weather actually is.

Reactions: rob@rar

The wind in the area will affect things.

I’ve said this before in previous posts, you are right it’s not “extreme” weather at all. It won’t be strong enough or extreme enough to close pretty much anything. But it will be miserable.

It’s just annoying and not pleasant.

The wind in the area will affect things.
Inside the park? Disneyland Paris is similarly located within extensive flat topography with no natural wind barriers, but inside the park I can't recall wind being an issue. I think the theme park buildings and greenery they'll plant will stop the worst of the wind sweeping across the area.

Reactions: xtpower
Inside the park? Disneyland Paris is similarly located within extensive flat topography with no natural wind barriers, but inside the park I can't recall wind being an issue. I think the theme park buildings and greenery they'll plant will stop the worst of the wind sweeping across the area.

How much of a conversation would you like to have about this? :)

There are definitely ways Universal can mitigate the annoyance of winds in the way they build the Park. As it is I grew up in that area, the winds are annoying maybe but I'd hardly call them strong enough to actually cause legitimate problems for Universal. Funnily enough the average wind speeds for Orlando and Bedford are in the same ballpark, only Bedford doesn't also have the risk of Hurricanes hanging over it's head.

Funnily enough the average wind speeds for Orlando and Bedford are in the same ballpark, only Bedford doesn't also have the risk of Hurricanes hanging over it's head.
With one exception, my trips to Orlando have been during August. I normally find the weather at that time of year in Central Florida is something I have to endure rather than something to enjoy. Too hot and way too humid. Plus the ever present chance of a torrential storm later in the day. Never been there for a hurricane, but we were due to arrive the day that Hurricane Charley took a direct hit on Orlando in 2004(?). It delayed our arrival by three days, and it was quite sobering to see some of the damage as we drove around. Compared to that the weather in Bedford is going to be just fine :)

Reactions: pbin and xtpower
I'm a Brit. Don't we talk endlessly about the weather? ;)

☺️ yes.

Before I write anything else, I just wanted to say that I am 100% supporting this plan. I think they have an incredible amount worked out or in progress, and I would be pretty sad to say the least if Universal pull out.

So I’m looking (in my own lovely way) at the next level of detail for this to successfully happen In advance as part of an enthusiasts forum.

It’s windy, like ALL the time. Just enough to slam your gate. Just enough to lower your your bbq temp by 20°. Just enough that when it’s not windy, you say “wow what a lovely day”… or when you notice it’s calm, even when it's raining, and even when it’s raining hard and your grass grows an inch by the next day.

I’m pretty sure the wind turbine at the Millennium Park is there because it’s windy,

However, Universal’s land has a sort of Berm. Opposite Broadmead Road is quite a big hill, meaning the Universal land is either protected or exposed to the winds that roll over Bedfords’s low lying (apparently) and landlocked geography.

Should Universal build a massive open expanse with the dream of previous Orlando resorts working here then I do fear they will be left with a wind swept plaza full of Instagrammers holding their hair pretending life is awesome more than they do now.

It’s 100% possible in my view to plan for the land. I just don’t know if they know this, so thought I’d raise it with enthusiasts, but not to prove me wrong (who needs that?), but to educate me on how small edge case challenges like this could be overcome.

Here we are buddy .

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Or any other purely indoor land, with a bit of luck. I really dislike the Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness in Beijing, not because of the IP but because of the ugly roof over the land that you simply can't not see. By all means take some measures to account for the weather, but I really, really hope that Universal Creative don't just stick a roof or a canopy over parts of the park that would normally be open air. I think it's the quickest way to kill the conceit of a fully immersive environment if you turn it in to something like a weatherproof shopping mall.
It does look like indoor lands have come a fair way recently. Somehow WB in Abu Dhabi have managed to fake a sky in there.

1714769835468.png

Reactions: tielo
It does look like indoor lands have come a fair way recently. Somehow WB in Abu Dhabi have managed to fake a sky in there.

View attachment 21724

Still looks off, the lack of natural light is jarring. I will die on the hill that indoor areas faked to look like you're outside should only be used in extreme situations (like the weather being extremely hot for the whole year) and not because it rains a bit.

Still looks off, the lack of natural light is jarring. I will die on the hill that indoor areas faked to look like you're outside should only be used in extreme situations (like the weather being extremely hot for the whole year) and not because it rains a bit.
I can change it to greyscale if you want to see it with natural UK light? :nervous:

I can change it to greyscale if you want to see it with natural UK light? :nervous:

Blow a bit so it has the authentic British winds too :p.

But seriously there's just too many elements missing with those indoor areas themed to look outside that I'll never truly enjoy them. No natural light, no actual wind, no moving clouds and no amount of painting the ceiling can emulate the feeling of being outside. I can understand why it's popular in the middle east, it makes sense but for somewhere like Bedford? Nope, not for me and if they plan one I'll be complaining about it until they finally demolish the horrible thing in several decades time.

Reactions: Steeb
Funny - I’ve lived round Bedford for years and never thought it was windy (on average). It appears to be in one of the lower categories wind-wise.

1714772978390.png

Last edited:
Reactions: xtpower
You guys in Bedford should try living on the western side of the country. You’ll get some nice strong Atlantic winds :p