Universal Great Britain | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Almost every box, to check the percentage of europeans with a passport you'll have to go country by country, some are around 40% while others are around 60%, a rough average of 50% for the european union, that means that while every single one of them can go to Disneyland Paris with just their id in their pocket, to go to Bedford half of them would need to first request a passport, something that if 50% of the europeans citizens doesn't have by now, its not going to change because of a theme park, so an ideal location that checks every box would be in France, Spain, Italy or even Germany, where you have 2 times the potential visitors that the UK has

I rarely post, but I have to ask - if France, Spain, Italy and Germany have two times the potential visitors that the UK has, why is London the most visited city in Europe?

Almost every box, to check the percentage of europeans with a passport you'll have to go country by country, some are around 40% while others are around 60%, a rough average of 50% for the european union, that means that while every single one of them can go to Disneyland Paris with just their id in their pocket, to go to Bedford half of them would need to first request a passport, something that if 50% of the europeans citizens doesn't have by now, its not going to change because of a theme park, so an ideal location that checks every box would be in France, Spain, Italy or even Germany, where you have 2 times the potential visitors that the UK has
This forum is very Anglo-centric so you’re never going to convince a lot of people here that building somewhere in the EU makes more sense over the UK.

But yes, I have to agree that building in the EU automatically gives them a bigger potential market. Spain and France are the most visited countries in the EU (both receiving more than double the amount of visitors that the UK received). One even has a resort up for sale right now…

If they’re just building a park to cater to the UK, then sure, this might be the best location. But I don’t see them having a true competitor to Disneyland Paris here.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but….Universal Escape WAS a thing…
Also Fast and Furious: Supercharged. Disney built Galactic Starcruiser... there are so many examples of big companies wasting millions of dollars.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
This forum is very Anglo-centric so you’re never going to convince a lot of people here that building somewhere in the EU makes more sense over the UK.

But yes, I have to agree that building in the EU automatically gives them a bigger potential market. Spain and France are the most visited countries in the EU (both receiving more than double the amount of visitors that the UK received). One even has a resort up for sale right now…

If they’re just building a park to cater to the UK, then sure, this might be the best location. But I don’t see them having a true competitor to Disneyland Paris here.

Also Fast and Furious: Supercharged. Disney built Galactic Starcruiser... there are so many examples of big companies wasting millions of dollars.
It doesn’t have to be an either or situation. It’s not an us vs them for me. I’m not arguing which is better, only that building in the UK doesn’t seem as bad as some make it out to be.

Land was purchased in the UK, and they’re looking into building a park now. I think that’s pretty neat.

If it was any other country in the entire world, I’d be just as interested in discussing the news about it there as well. As I always am.

I don’t know if they can do it with Blackpool having it, but Universal could make a really baller Wallace and Gromit dark ride. I mean the one at Blackpool was okay, but Universal would really knock it out of the park. Imagine SLoP but with Wallace and Gromit! Or maybe something like the Sesame Street at Singapore but with that.

Reactions: TheUniC6

But yes, I have to agree that building in the EU automatically gives them a bigger potential market. Spain and France are the most visited countries in the EU (both receiving more than double
This is nonsense.

This forum has people who are excited that land was bought and brand new park is being built on it. This forum also has a minority of tribal people who are finding any excuse they can to show how salty they are that their favourite park hasn't been sold to Universal yet. If it ever will be.
If they had decided to build the park in South Korea I'm sure there would be a handful of people telling us why it should be built in Pyongyang and not there. People like to be contrary

Another point that you can use is that if Universal were actually bothered by the whole 'passport issue' and believed that building in the UK would severely limit their attendances, then they wouldn't have bothered to buy land. They would've done whatever study needed doing, seen the results and started looking on the European mainland for locations. But they did buy land and are now conducting a feasibility study.

So, I'll trust the guys who have opened new parks all over the World, rather than someone worrying about the impact of brexit.
EHhh....I won't go far....

Universal didn't buy the land; Comcast did...the land can be twofold...used for Sky for more production campus areas they can rent out like they did with Elsetree....

But upon buying land and building a new park, there are other factors outside simply this market has this many people. First and foremost, like with Beijing and all their updates for USJ, they relocate a lot of the Orlando based staff to ensure things go right. That has huge tax implications as well as potential creates issues for workers which is something Universal looks at. The economics of the thing is a huge thing.

Secondly, political/social appetities/labor laws. The influence of the world is changing and you can't just slap your name on a product and expect people to pay to buy it just because it's in another country. Look at Germany and Amazon/Tesla and Sweden, etc. The UK has the most labor friendly policies for Universal to set up their parks operations wise and not end up falling into troubles that other multinationals have faced.

Lastly, while location wise a country may have been preferred, the conditions necessary may not have been present (Location within country were undesirable and remote, water table issues, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: mainejeff
Universal didn't buy the land; Comcast did...the land can be twofold...used for Sky for more production campus areas
I believe the land will only be used for Universal Destinations & Experiences uses. As they said, they’re exploring building a theme park and resort. I don’t believe there’ll be a production campus or any non-resort business on site.

Reactions: Mike S
I believe the land will only be used for Universal Destinations & Experiences uses. As they said, they’re exploring building a theme park and resort. I don’t believe there’ll be a production campus or any non-resort business on site.

Are we at "the hub is 25 acres" stage of stuff being taken and miscontrued cos the studios on the actual Brickworks site got mentioned in the video?

What would they do for a James Bond land? Would it be based on a rebooted franchise? Would they acknowledge the classic James Bond? I could see a coaster for sure.....if based on a movie name my choice would be "Thunderball" or "Moonraker".

What would they do for a James Bond land? Would it be based on a rebooted franchise? Would they acknowledge the classic James Bond? I could see a coaster for sure.....if based on a movie name my choice would be "Thunderball" or "Moonraker".
A Bourne Stuntacular show would be perfect for the franchise. Dont need to have a specific actor in mind that way too.

Last edited:
It would probably be too much to hope for a Bond attraction inspired by the '60s/'70s, but it would certainly have a distinctive aesthetic that would be fun in a park setting.
bond-stunt-show.jpg

Echoing @Alicia but No Time To Die left in an interesting aspect that I think could be easily applicable for the sake of having a 007 attraction; without having to worry about Bond.

In the film, we see promimently that the 007 label is not simply just for James Bond; but for those who fill the role needed of a 00 Member. Could be possible we watch a show under the pretense of seeing the next 007 in action; without having to get direct lookalikes for Bond.

An animatronic of Jaws as portrayed by Richard Kiel would be awesome.....what a hoot that would be. Universal should have free reign on a lot of stuff as the British have a great sense of humor compared to the U.S.

Reactions: belloq87 and Freak
My current Prediction is if Bond and Paddington are in the Park, they’ll both be part of a general British City land, like this Park‘s equivalent to New York, and they’ll get Single Attractions, maybe small themed areas with like, a Restaurant and a Paddington Meet & Greet or something

My current Prediction is if Bond and Paddington are in the Park, they’ll both be part of a general British City land, like this Park‘s equivalent to New York, and they’ll get Single Attractions, maybe small themed areas with like, a Restaurant and a Paddington Meet & Greet or something
That's what I'm expecting too, maybe throw in in Doctor Who too.

Paddington could also be in a book themed kids land (could bring Roald Dahl's works: Wonka, Matilda and James & Giant Peach as well)

They would require a passport to go to Universal Orlando too, but the flights to this new one will likely be much quicker.
From my understanding they’re building this park to get new clients no to make current clients their travel easier, then having to have a passport to get to a park is pretty annoying. This is like EuropaPark wanting to export their park to US and building it in Cuba it would not make sense. From my point of view it’s that Universal is aiming UK citizens mainly and get some 30% from rest of Europe. They have made their market study and I’m sure that would work with mainly UK people. And the place where this park is build is perfect to get as many brits as posible, not to get Europeans on train or car. But it’s a perfectly fine strategy.

From my understanding they’re building this park to get new clients no to make current clients their travel easier, then having to have a passport to get to a park is pretty annoying. This is like EuropaPark wanting to export their park to US and building it in Cuba it would not make sense. From my point of view it’s that Universal is aiming UK citizens mainly and get some 30% from rest of Europe. They have made their market study and I’m sure that would work with mainly UK people. And the place where this park is build is perfect to get as many brits as posible, not to get Europeans on train or car. But it’s a perfectly fine strategy.
Personally I’m more likely to visit London than Cuba, despite both requiring a passport, but your analogy is noted.

I feel like people go to London. Like, we’ve discussed how that’s a place people come to from all over the world. And this isnt too far from London. Am I wrong?