TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't know much about the construction process, but couldn't the survey crew find something that would/could prevent the attraction from being built there? I would figure Disney would already have surveyed the area before announcing a major new attraction.

I don't know much about the construction process, but couldn't the survey crew find something that would/could prevent the attraction from being built there? I would figure Disney would already have surveyed the area before announcing a major new attraction.

Survey crew? Doubtful. Unless they just randomly stumbled across a previously unknown historical site. It's possible, however unlikely, that once they start digging they would find something that would cause problems. But thats not something a survey crew would find.

Survey crew? Doubtful. Unless they just randomly stumbled across a previously unknown historical site. It's possible, however unlikely, that once they start digging they would find something that would cause problems. But thats not something a survey crew would find.

LOL...this sounds like a setup for a Scooby doo cartoon. The theme park was built on ancient Indian burial grounds! Tron Cycle is haunted!

Is D23 every 2 years? I can’t seem to find a concrete answer on this.

If it is, that would explain why announcements appear to be made earlier than they should.

Reactions: tankart150
Is D23 every 2 years? I can’t seem to find a concrete answer on this.

If it is, that would explain why announcements appear to be made earlier than they should.
Yes.

They do a smaller event in the years in between at Disneyland and WDW, but D23 is every 2 years... next one is July 2019.

I think they were more concerned with having a lot of announcements then actually building these rides. They're not promised to open until 2021 so they have time to take their time.

Also, rumors are that Tron coaster's placement was still up in the air and kept moving around right up to the week before D23. That's why we heard the rumor that it was taking over the Speedway plot first. And why the concept art isn't as polished as Disney usually does. (Then again I heard that from Jim Hill, so who knows if it's true or just a nice story.)

EDIT: And Disney will sometimes announce so many things at D23 that some are never actually built. It's all about showmanship at those events. Some fans are taking bets on what won't be built from this year's announcements.

That's interesting. Can you tell me some of the things that were announced but never built? I'm guessing one of them is some of the stuff that was supposed to come to New Fantasyland, right?

I think they were more concerned with having a lot of announcements then actually building these rides. They're not promised to open until 2021 so they have time to take their time.

Also, rumors are that Tron coaster's placement was still up in the air and kept moving around right up to the week before D23. That's why we heard the rumor that it was taking over the Speedway plot first. And why the concept art isn't as polished as Disney usually does. (Then again I heard that from Jim Hill, so who knows if it's true or just a nice story.)

EDIT: And Disney will sometimes announce so many things at D23 that some are never actually built. It's all about showmanship at those events. Some fans are taking bets on what won't be built from this year's announcements.

Usually the loser in the scenario is Epcot.

But both Epcot announcements have broken ground - and you'd think ignoring the central core just isnt realistic... but, maybe it will get the ax.

That's interesting. Can you tell me some of the things that were announced but never built? I'm guessing one of them is some of the stuff that was supposed to come to New Fantasyland, right?
Off hand:
  • They announced Matterhorn coming to Magic Kingdom (it was supposed to go where Mickey's Birthday Land was built)
  • The David Copperfield magic restaurant
  • Hyperion Wharf
  • The Asian Resort
  • Thunder Mesa
There is a LONG history of all this going back to Disneyland and Edison Square.

Off hand:
  • They announced Matterhorn coming to Magic Kingdom (it was supposed to go where Mickey's Birthday Land was built)
  • The David Copperfield magic restaurant
  • Hyperion Wharf
  • The Asian Resort
  • Thunder Mesa
There is a LONG history of all this going back to Disneyland and Edison Square.

Hyperion Wharf was the biggest head scratcher to me. I mean they ended up with Disney Springs, which is probably an evolution of the original concept, but it just seemed odd to announce a new shopping district that wasn't fully ready to go. The name was also terrible.

Here's the superimposed view from Blog Mickey:
tron-permit-11202017-1.jpg

BREAKING: First Tron Lightcycle Coaster Permits Filed; Shows Building Location and Modifications - Blog Mickey

The new theatre sits just south of this image, could anyone impose the two blueprints on the map so we can see how the two new projects tie together?

Would be muchly appreciated :)

Edit. here is the theatre superimposed, just need to pull the two together on a larger map.
mk-theater-permit-11202017-1.jpg

both images from Blogmickey

Last edited:

The new theatre sits just south of this image, could anyone impose the two blueprints on the map so we can see how the two new projects tie together?

Would be muchly appreciated :)

Edit. here is the theatre superimposed, just need to pull the two together on a larger map.
mk-theater-permit-11202017-1.jpg

both images from Blogmickey

I can't find a decent enough version of the theatre plans to do this any justice but here's what I had.

mk plan.jpg

This gives a good overview though if you want to see everything:

BREAKING: Permits Filed and Building Placement Revealed for Tron Coaster and Main Street Theater - WDW News Today