Transformers: The Ride - 3D | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Transformers: The Ride - 3D

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Wear and tear...

It's not an issue with the bulbs themselves. A dull bulb will the projector dimmer, but it shouldn't alter the projector's output so that it turns green. Transformers uses DLP projectors which use color wheels to render a picture. Constant movement can damage these wheels, which require more than a simple bulb replacement to fix.

Regardless, there's a lot of variables in play and simple fixes are rarely the solution. If these projectors simply needed new bulbs, you can bet Universal would have replaced them by now.
Which is interesting because we were specifically told that the PTUs were made with special casing to ensure that the projector sees little-to-no wear-and-tear. During the first year of operation, the PTUs would break down more often than the VTUs simply because the system was a bit more complex to cater even moreso to the fragile nature of the projectors.

Still, I guess even with those extra measures, the projectors simply couldn't the minimal amount of actual movement felt. That doesn't explain the scene 9 problem many have reported here... that's just probably a lack of maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is interesting because we were specifically told that the PTUs were made with special casing to ensure that the projector sees little-to-no wear-and-tear. During the first year of operation, the PTUs would break down more often than the VTUs simply because the system was a bit more complex to cater even moreso to the fragile nature of the projectors.
Yes, but inevitably projectors will wear out. We're talking about complex machinery running year-round for 8-14 hours a day on an elevator track. Something's eventually going to have to give - even if it's not directly caused by vibrations in the scenery.

Ultimately, these are my best guesses as to why Transformers seems to experience projection issues but Spiderman does not. The VTUs are the only standout variable in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's even more of a problem at USF, when you have Spidey next door. Although I've always felt like TF's animation was a bit mixed. Some shots came out better than others. Dare I say it could use a scrubbing... whoever they contacted to do Spiderman's new VFX did a bang-up job.

I was in the Lower-Lot when I noticed these higher-ups discussing the Transformers façade. I was in a bit of a hurry so I took these with my phone. Sorry for the quality. The man in the center kept referencing back to the documents he had in his hand (design for new façade, maybe?). What do you guys think?

23444851082_76b2ba265b_b.jpg

23527286096_815d1d6d7d_b.jpg

Reactions: chris.g and William
All I can say is...it better happen! Long overdue. Although if it's just gonna be a clone of Orlando's facade, I'll be underwhelmed.

If it was up to me, and I was in charge of the cash, I'd make the Transformers facade a Chicago city block. Essentially a more elaborate and taller version of the new HoH replacement facades, but more of a city feel to it, and the center the building would have a massive gaping hole where it looks like a Transformer or ride vehicle crashed through, occasionally giving out smoke, sparks, and sound effects. Or you could have one of the characters peaking out.

Except Allen... that a "cityscape" of any kind would NOT work for Transformers... remember, this is supposed to be N.E.S.T. Command and we're the new recruits.. so it really does need to be similar to Orlando's big box of doom. Singapore has Bumblebee on their entrance, Orlando has Optimus... is it asking too much for EVAC?... you know, the character created specifically for the ride who doesn't get enough love! <_<

Also... I really need to stop riding this ride haha... I now find myself picking apart flaws with the plot more and more.

Reactions: chris.g
Except Allen... that a "cityscape" of any kind would NOT work for Transformers... remember, this is supposed to be N.E.S.T. Command and we're the new recruits.. so it really does need to be similar to Orlando's big box of doom. Singapore has Bumblebee on their entrance, Orlando has Optimus... is it asking too much for EVAC?... you know, the character created specifically for the ride who doesn't get enough love! <_<
Funny enough; Singapore has a full-sized Evac statue as a form of a Photo Op. If we see a major change in the façade of those cardboards, I could see USS lending the Evac statue for Hollywood. But, I would rather want Megatron actually instead.

Yea I am jealous of their EVAC statue... its so awesome, but they wouldn't lend it, a new one would need to be made.

And as for Megatron... that wouldn't really work in context with N.E.S.T. because they're allied with the Autobots, not the Decepticons haha. I mean sure, you could have Megatron... but he'd have to be breaking into the wall to get to the All-spark being kept safe inside.

Funny enough; Singapore has a full-sized Evac statue as a form of a Photo Op. If we see a major change in the façade of those cardboards, I could see USS lending the Evac statue for Hollywood. But, I would rather want Megatron actually instead.
Why would Universal Studios Singapore lend their statue to Hollywood? I would assume transport costs could more than make up for the cost of creating a new one.

Except Allen... that a "cityscape" of any kind would NOT work for Transformers... remember, this is supposed to be N.E.S.T. Command and we're the new recruits.. so it really does need to be similar to Orlando's big box of doom. Singapore has Bumblebee on their entrance, Orlando has Optimus... is it asking too much for EVAC?... you know, the character created specifically for the ride who doesn't get enough love! <_<

Also... I really need to stop riding this ride haha... I now find myself picking apart flaws with the plot more and more.
Yeahhhh, absolutely, because a colorful mural or secret NEST command base with "NEST" written everywhere is totally inconspicuous and would fit ;) Might as well have a neon arrow sign that says "SECRET MILITARY BASE RIGHT HERE FOLKS" lol.

It doesn't have to be a cityscape but a cityscape COULD work. Who's to say that NEST didn't create the facade to look more inconspicuous. But I would like to see some kind of detailed facade in general. Maybe a larger version of the esthetic Supercharged was going for. It'd be cool if it looked like a giant rundown warehouse with hints that NEST is inside, with a cool gaping "crash" hole in the center with smoke.

Another alternative could be a more elaborate version of Singapore's. Have it be over the top Sci-fi themed.

I'm just blueskying.

I do agree, however, that it'd be cool to have a giant statue of some kind as well.

A makeover would be feasible since the rumored location of SLOP is right next to it. Judging by past UC projects, SLoP should have a great looking facade that would make TF look like a steaming pile of poop so a makeover is more than justified.

Reactions: Chris
You mean the giant 'splosion mural above the entrance doesn't already make the ride look like a steaming pile of poop? :lol:

Transformers is a mess on so many levels, it needs a lot of maintenance when it comes to the screens/projectors. A few of the screens are still yellow-ish green, there have been a few times where the image didn't look as clear/focused (although that might've just been the 3D glasses), there was one day where the one VTU projections weren't the same brightness level so you could tell it was more than one projector for that screen (there was literally a line down the center).

Transformers was the last ride out of GE's reign of terror, if I'm not mistaken. It's not surprising they went with a super cheap mural, which we were all disappointed over. The ride is great inside, but it has the ugliest facade for an E-ticket dark ride, EVER. If it stays when SLoP comes, I will be shocked and scream. It NEEDS to go. 

Transformers was the last ride out of GE's reign of terror, if I'm not mistaken. It's not surprising they went with a super cheap mural, which we were all disappointed over. The ride is great inside, but it has the ugliest facade for an E-ticket dark ride, EVER. If it stays when SLoP comes, I will be shocked and scream. It NEEDS to go. 
I also believe that they originally had the idea for the Orlando version, but the budget was cut when the ride costs too much in California and we get puke.  Orlando simply had the budget...'nuff said.

Look at T2's mess!

I found myself mentally swapping out the Transformers' dialogue for Spiderman's dialogue during a majority of the scenes while I rode it a few times.

oh yea... also got my 100th ride tonight :ph34r: