Tiered Pricing Coming to Walt Disney World | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiered Pricing Coming to Walt Disney World

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Based on how fast passes are gone for certain rides before non-on site guests can get to them tells you most on site guests purchase in advance. Everybody that I know that comes down without me prompting them buys their tickets in advance except my sister and that is because we never know which parks we will go to with her. Local theme parks are way different than Disney. Also keep in mind on site guests get magic bands in the mail and people want to be all set up before they get there with dinner reservations and everything.

It is insane and un fathomable how many people buy tickets in person. It's the same price online, and many more old fashioned people see zero pros to buying online in a situation like this. My grandma does not understand online shopping because she can just go to the store down the street.

They have ticket windows for more than just s**** and giggles and it's more than 10% (an insanely low number you pulled outta nowhere.)

Reactions: SeventyOne
If Didney is doing this, I'll be surprised if Universal isn't the next time they raise their prices.

Especially since they sort of lit the match, doing this at USH first.

Reactions: Quint
Ultimately this is a profit-driven move, but they are doing it under the guise of preventing overcrowding. Universal doesn't really have an overcrowding problem so, if they do match it, PR would have to come up with a different reason.

I don't really get the backlash here. Virtually every other industry in travel/entertainment does this--airlines, hotels, cruise ships, sports arenas. Even to a lesser extent movies (with matinees) and restaurants (happy hour/early bird).

If Disney had done this from Day 1 would be easier to sell the cheapest rate as a "discount," but it all comes down to perception. The restaurant isn't losing money on your cheap beer at happy hour, you're paying more for the privilege of drinking after 7 p.m.

It is insane and un fathomable how many people buy tickets in person. It's the same price online, and many more old fashioned people see zero pros to buying online in a situation like this. My grandma does not understand online shopping because she can just go to the store down the street.

They have ticket windows for more than just s**** and giggles and it's more than 10% (an insanely low number you pulled outta nowhere.)

I think it's a very hard one to judge. I think you're right that a lot of people buy tickets at the park but if they're buying a 3 day ticket, they will only be seen to buy tickets once. So if we assume that everybody buys a 3 day ticket, only a 1/3 of the people will be at the gate buying their ticket on that given day.

They put out the schedule for "Value" days. Outside of September there were only a handful of them. Everything else is mostly Moderate or Peak....They've also released the new prices for Multi Day tickets & park hoppers. Some pretty big increases there too.

I don't really get the backlash here. Virtually every other industry in travel/entertainment does this--airlines, hotels, cruise ships, sports arenas. Even to a lesser extent movies (with matinees) and restaurants (happy hour/early bird).

If Disney had done this from Day 1 would be easier to sell the cheapest rate as a "discount," but it all comes down to perception. The restaurant isn't losing money on your cheap beer at happy hour, you're paying more for the privilege of drinking after 7 p.m.

I was going to tell someone about this change at work today but then I thought.. this is a real non-event. It makes sense and they probably should have done it years ago.

Reactions: IzzyB

First off some people who buy online still have to go to a ticket window, AP first time pass holders is one example. Also, I said 10 to 15% are one day ticket people not 10% of all people go to the window. Also, not everyone is like your grandma. More and more older generation are starting to use online shopping. I was shocked how many have iphones!

First off some people who buy online still have to go to a ticket window, AP first time pass holders is one example. Also, I said 10 to 15% are one day ticket people not 10% of all people go to the window. Also, not everyone is like your grandma. More and more older generation are starting to use online shopping. I was shocked how many have iphones!
"First off" is very hostile wording. Just like not everyone is like my grandma not everyone is like the weird bubble of folks you know, all of whom happened to let the mere existence of fast and the furious slip by.

Something tells me you may not be the most observiant of the bunch.

"First off" is very hostile wording. Just like not everyone is like my grandma not everyone is like the weird bubble of folks you know, all of whom happened to let the mere existence of fast and the furious slip by.

Something tells me you may not be the most observiant of the bunch.

Sorry if I seemed hostile, but your post towards be was also hostile, so I was more reacting to that.

Also, I have kids. Most people I hang out with have kids also. So movie time at a theater is either kids movie or a date night. Most of the people don't have easy babysitters so the movie has to be one of those can't miss movies. So no, F&F was probably not in that can't miss category like Star wars and Avatar was. So it isn't a bubble but more that you and I are at completely different points in our lives and therefore hang out with two different types of people. Never said F&F wasn't popular, but people acted like it was as popular as Avatar was when it was released and I was just saying I didn't think so.

If theme parks did demand-based pricing since day one,

and then yesterday they switched to flat-rate pricing,

everyone would flip out and complain that it's not fair to pay the same amount for a busy day as a non-busy day.

Reactions: IzzyB and Jon84
It's not that confusing, and it's not uncommon across the travel, entertainment and leisure industries

At $115/~£82 that double the price of a Thorpe Park or Alton Towers ticket over here. If I was a day tripper in the UK, and had an MK level park I could visit I wouldn't be too concerned paying it.

If I wanted a ticket to see Bruce Springsteen at Wembley Stadium this summer I'd be looking at £115/$162 to watch an old guy strutting around for 2 hours, and for the pleasure of standing in queues of 80,000 all trying to get on the Undeground at the same time. The food and drink offerings in the stadium cost roughly the same as in Disney, and for poorer quality.

People will always pay for what they enjoy, I personally cannot see the fun in paying to sit or stand out in the cold for 3 hours and watching 25 men run around a soccer field for 90mins, but plenty of people do for £80 a match.

What you get for your money at MK is outstanding when put into perspective with other entertainment offerings (yes what actually get over the years has been in flux but on the whole it's more than other entertainment offerings). Disney Parks have always been for people with disposable income, and not those that live paycheck to paycheck. Seeing the cost of something go up is always going to get peoples back up.

It's not that confusing, and it's not uncommon across the travel, entertainment and leisure industries

At $115/~£82 that double the price of a Thorpe Park or Alton Towers ticket over here. If I was a day tripper in the UK, and had an MK level park I could visit I wouldn't be too concerned paying it.

If I wanted a ticket to see Bruce Springsteen at Wembley Stadium this summer I'd be looking at £115/$162 to watch an old guy strutting around for 2 hours, and for the pleasure of standing in queues of 80,000 all trying to get on the Undeground at the same time. The food and drink offerings in the stadium cost roughly the same as in Disney, and for poorer quality.

People will always pay for what they enjoy, I personally cannot see the fun in paying to sit or stand out in the cold for 3 hours and watching 25 men run around a soccer field for 90mins, but plenty of people do for £80 a match.

What you get for your money at MK is outstanding when put into perspective with other entertainment offerings (yes what actually get over the years has been in flux but on the whole it's more than other entertainment offerings). Disney Parks have always been for people with disposable income, and not those that live paycheck to paycheck. Seeing the cost of something go up is always going to get peoples back up.
You're right. It isn't that confusing. i just have zero faith in humanity, so I figure there's gonna be a considerable about of confused / complaining crowds.

HHN has down tiered pricing and it's been no sweat.

Reactions: Jon84
There's minimal advantage to booking online price wise anyway. So surely whatever date you turn up if you're buying a one day ticket they'll charge you the rate whether that's value or peak or whatever? It's just like blockout dates on annual passes when you buy a value ticket in advance. You only have select days to use it.

I totally get demand-based pricing and it's completely logical, but can't help but shudder at the thought of someone paying $125 for a theme park ticket.

You, of all people, should see the value in it. :lol: