This Just In - Current USH Happenings | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

This Just In - Current USH Happenings

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
...And in other news....

Today, I got word that the (in)famous falling Jurassic Park jeep will no longer be functional, at least in the foreseeable future. 

The company that manufactured the falling mechanism and spare parts for it ran out of business a few years back. Since then, the ride mechanics have done their best to keep it running with the limited about of parts they have (hence its sporadic operation). Well, as it turns out, a fatal problem occurred within the mechanism which cannot be repaired without a special part, only available from the manufacturer. 

Whether or not Universal decides to contract a new company to make a new mechanism or just leave it there until the end of time remains to be seen. I figured everyone should know so they shouldn't be too bummed out when they don't see it working. 

The long and short of this is, as of right now, the jeep will never be functional again. It will remain precariously perched on the corner of the building until the end of time, or until it decides to fall on its own will. 

I'm going to step out on a limb and say given its fairly recent poor service history, I don't think most of you on here would be too surprised to see it non-operational. 

Sorry if this bums you out, congrats if it doesn't. 
-CW

I am pedantic and I need to point out that both in the film and in the ride, that falling vehicle is not a Jeep. The jeeps were gas powered. That is the electrical Ford Explorer that falls off the cliff with Timmy in it. 

I am pedantic and I need to point out that both in the film and in the ride, that falling vehicle is not a Jeep. The jeeps were gas powered. That is the electrical Ford Explorer that falls off the cliff with Timmy in it. 

I meant "jeep" in this situation meaning the literal meaning of jeep. I know jeep has certain idiomatic connotations especially when talking with regard to Jurassic Park. I also know there was a separate Jeep (jeep) used in the movies. But the falling SUV is most commonly known on here as "the falling jeep" 

In the end, it's all semantics. 

Thank you for the clarification.
-CW

^I have to say, it makes for a spectacular and memorable arrival if you come up the Lankershim entrance.  I think it'll be a very popular photo op for all who walk up that hill and take the tram, it'll create a nice buzz and excitement for the park.  I see it as a bit of a potential viral/instagram campaign.

I actually have spoken to Guest Communications member from Universal, and I was asking him about the 5pm parking restriction, especially since the park is frequently open well past 6pm on many days.  His reply (italics mine):

While there is currently not a plan to change the parking restrictions, the Annual Pass team did agree to consider the change as a future enhancement and will look at feedback from pass holders.

I don't know if I'm holding my breath anytime soon, but I think the key statement is the final part.  Perhaps contact guest relations and let them know how you feel about it, so a case for demand can be built.  Just thought it'd be something worth sharing here.

I don't know if I'm holding my breath anytime soon, but I think the key statement is the final part.  Perhaps contact guest relations and let them know how you feel about it, so a case for demand can be built.  Just thought it'd be something worth sharing here.

I don't see an incentive for them to change the parking restriction. They seem to be very stubborn about the issue, and now that the California Neighbor Pass has been accepted positively, I don't think they care.

I don't see an incentive for them to change the parking restriction. They seem to be very stubborn about the issue, and now that the California Neighbor Pass has been accepted positively, I don't think they care.

That certainly may be true, and wouldn't surprise me.  But it doesn't hurt to try, and make our voices heard.

Reactions: Freak and chris.g
From California Informer, they are getting word that "From Coraline to Kubo: A Magical LAKIA Experience" will be returning to Universal Hollywood.