Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Staying Power of CityWalk Clubs?

Another aspect to consider is that with all of the onsite hotel building going on, Citi Walk's customer base is becoming more tourist oriented than it was when there were only three hotels.

When I visited in April the clubs all had massive lines that reminded me of vegas places. The clientele weren't that high end, but still not tourists.

For @OrlandoGuy, combining the comments from TS and this, I think you're looking for something that ISN'T available outside of a college town. I'd love to meet up with you over a beer on this, but my college experience was many small house parties over blocks and blocks of our residential community. Even my fraternity parties were small affairs.

During HHN I did a post-game at one of the bars and frankly didn't care for it. It's not my thing, and that's ok.

Out of interest, what are the drink drive laws like in Florida?

In terms say of a regular beer, how many pints would you be comfortable/legally safe to drive after?
I know it affects people differently, but just a generalisation.

I don't think it's any different in Florida than anywhere else…blow above a .08 and you're getting a DUI. As for me, I'm good with four beers to drive in my opinion. At CityWalk, though, a beer costs a lot of money lol. I figure if I'm gonna go, I'm gonna get liquor and for the money, get enough to be getting more than just a decent buzz, which was my issue.

Another aspect to consider is that with all of the onsite hotel building going on, Citi Walk's customer base is becoming more tourist oriented than it was when there were only three hotels.
Definitely something I was thinking. With their new attendance bumps and focus on tourists, it seems that the focus of CityWalk would eventually shift, which is why I didn't outright say "I hate the clubs" but rather raised the question as to if they actually have much staying power in the "new" Universal.

When I visited in April the clubs all had massive lines that reminded me of vegas places. The clientele weren't that high end, but still not tourists.

For @OrlandoGuy, combining the comments from TS and this, I think you're looking for something that ISN'T available outside of a college town. I'd love to meet up with you over a beer on this, but my college experience was many small house parties over blocks and blocks of our residential community. Even my fraternity parties were small affairs.

During HHN I did a post-game at one of the bars and frankly didn't care for it. It's not my thing, and that's ok.
Always down to meet up with another Greek (unless you're a…never mind :lol:). But I definitely went with my expectations in check, at least I think so. After I graduated I knew that the nightlife would be different, especially in non-college towns. And even as I'm applying to grad schools I know that things will be different when I'm a "grown up". The truth is, I almost like the non-college bars/frat parties more because the drinks are actually good. The only thing I think is missing is more crowds. Trader Sam's seemed mellow. CityWalk seemed mellow. Yet I've been to Rocco's or some places I don't even remember downtown when the place is absolutely popping. Maybe I'm just dumb for going to tourist bars? I don't know…but either way, I also feel that they aren't my thing. I love that these places are thoughtfully themed and have well-made specialty drinks but I miss the busy party atmosphere. And I've always associated that with success, which again, is why I question how long Universal will wanna keep these clubs. Like someone else said, clubs are very temperamental and the whole concept of clubbing, I feel like, is getting a little outdated. I just think that when places like Antojito's can give good music, good drinks and a good bar setting without cover or age restrictions, that Universal would want to keep going in that direction rather than wasting real estate.

I don't see the clubs going anywhere because they aren't making money. Coming out of CityWalk late on a Friday or Saturday night and you'll be wall to wall with people on the moving walkways heading home from the clubs. I adamantly agree that it isn't the best crowd, and that's the reason I see them going. Pat O'Briens and Fat Tuesdays are really the only locations on that second level I'd like to stay. Bob Marley's, The Groove, and Red Coconut all could be used for something better. Clean things up, maybe bring in a premium spirit bar, and while they're at it, I'd like to see the CityWalk food court get redone with some higher quality options.

Great memories of the college bars long time ago. Slippery Rock was a dry town at that time, so no bars, but lot's of great apartment & townhouse keg parties. Or, we'd hitchhike (you could do that back then) all the way into Oakland area of Pittsburgh (Pitt Univ.) and hit the college bars. They were all dives but they were great fun....But the older I got, my tastes changed. So the types of bars desired & enjoyed really become a factor of age, income and interests demographics.

We thought about going to RS once, did some youtubeing and it just looked terrible!

When I first went to Citywalk I was 27, so well past my clubbing prime. However it was clear that the nightclubs are not the place for 21 year olds to go out on a bender. They don't want rowdy people getting lashed and spilling out onto areas where there are still families about. The police would have to start extra patrols to keep an eye for drink drivers, there would be more cars left overnight in the garage which I understand they don't like?

As mentioned by HTF, the best bet is to reduce the number of clubs, make one larger one and a proper nice bar/lounge, and use the rest of the space as shopping and restaurants.

The dueling piano bar is Pat's is one of my favorite late night places at Universal. Also those hurricanes are mighty strong :lol:

The Best. We have piano bars in our area, but they don't come close to the atmosphere & talent level of Pat O'Briens in Orlando & New Orleans. I remember a late night business flight into New Orleans with my bro. We got to Pat O'Briens about 1:00 AM & stayed till 5:00 AM. The musician who is on the plaque at Orlando, and died in the hurricane flood, came out at apx. 3:00 AM & started playing a bar tray with his fingertips. Greatest music showmanship I ever saw or heard and he was famous for that. Simple but fantastic. And the place was packed at that time. Back to Orlando, we missed Pat O'Brien's on our vacation last May since they had private parties nearly every night. So we made it up when we went in September and stayed long for three nights. They used to have a guy that always wore a hat that was especially great, but he was gone last year since they said he got a job teaching music at some school. We'll drop a hundred a night just for requests, not counting drinks. Great place to go to while on vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than Pat's and Rising Star. The rest of the clubs I've only been to for meetings. With that being said. Their making money for private events. Not sure if Sapphire Falls will change that impact. Though the City Walk of the past is in a different state of today. The party night vibe is just not there. Guest which I tend to see a lot of families at night. Just want to grab some food and some drinks.

As far as replacing it. The upstairs section should stay with an adult vibe. I would like to see a themed bar like Trader Sams. Perhaps some classy establishments. Though Universal could go a different route and make it family friendly.

We still need to check out Rising Star. We normally hang out in Pat O's and when that place is on it is really on, when it is off unfortunately its a totally different experience.

Don't get me started on the design of Orlando's CityWalk. I could write a 90 page dissertation on how poorly it was designed. The entire upper level is completely hidden from view!

I've always assumed this was a way of isolating the clubs without having to result to turnstiles (which is what PI and Church St Station relied on at the time). Used to be--may still be--guards at the top of the escalator checking IDs, had to be 21 to pass after a certain hour.

Was always supposed to be more of a destination than tourists walking out of the park and seeing the clubs. I don't think visibility was a main concern. Maybe it should have been, but I think I see the reasoning.

While I would love a Player 1. Just don't see that happening with alcohol and kids running around. Not to say something would happen but that's a problem with Dave and Busters.

I could see the dinner show working. Just change out the show at least every year to keep guest coming back.

Perhaps a Magician themed bar/dinner show. With rotating acts.

Last edited:
LOL, the bartenders call me the "Mayor" of Player 1, so I think it's fair to say I'm familiar with it. That's the first time I've ever heard it described as "high end." Usually something more like "strip club vibe without the strippers."

Not sure how I feel about that, but in Cleveland we have 16 Bit that's very similar that I'd love to see in CityWalk. Lots of craft beer and arcade games. Though my issue is that it might not appeal to tourists as much as locals.

Out of interest, what are the drink drive laws like in Florida?

In terms say of a regular beer, how many pints would you be comfortable/legally safe to drive after?
I know it affects people differently, but just a generalisation.
.08 BAC
For an adult male my size, that's just about 2 drinks in an hour...