Should minors be allowed to enter USH (and others) without supervision? | Inside Universal Forums

Should minors be allowed to enter USH (and others) without supervision?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 26, 2014
So Cal
The first time I went to a theme park (which was USH) by myself was 13, I was pretty mature for my age. Do you think theme parks should allow minor entry without a parent/guardian should be allowed, prohibited, or regulated with something like a parent signature? Disneyland has already took a stance on this a while back with their "no entry under 14" rule.

I think Disney's "no under 14" rule is good, as believe it or not the park DOES have weirdos around, although you can't really enforce it 100%, as it is so easy to lie about age, since not every teen has an ID and they can look older or younger than their age. I'm almost 22 and look 17 at most haha. Also, with a parent note, that can be forged in a blink of an eye.

The other issue is, there's always people who act younger or older than their real age. That's why I honestly don't judge based on age alone. I've known or seen people who are in their late 20s who act worse than certain teens, and I know some teen(s) (you know who you are.... :p ) who are more mature and intelligent than some 20 year olds. So...it's honestly hard to tell.

But definitely under 13 they should be with someone 18 or older.

As for HHN? That's what I have a bigger problem of, simply because of the situation that happened last year. But in that case, the blame should be on the parents and not Universal.

It's a tricky issue, but for me as long as the guest isn't going crazy around the park, I don't care.

Reactions: William and Aaron
I think Disney's "no under 14" rule is good, as believe it or not the park DOES have weirdos around, although you can't really enforce it 100%, as it is so easy to lie about age, since not every teen has an ID and they can look older or younger than their age. I'm almost 22 and look 17 at most haha. Also, with a parent note, that can be forged in a blink of an eye.

The other issue is, there's always people who act younger or older than their real age. That's why I honestly don't judge based on age alone. I've known or seen people who are in their late 20s who act worse than certain teens, and I know some teen(s) (you know who you are.... :p ) who are more mature and intelligent than some 20 year olds. So...it's honestly hard to tell.

As for HHN? That's what I have a bigger problem of, simply because of the situation that happened last year. But in that case, the blame should be on the parents and not Universal.

It's a tricky issue, but for me as long as the guest isn't going crazy around the park, I don't care.
Pretty much my thoughts. It's all based on maturity.

You are definitely right about people not acting their age. For example In Walt Disney World, the employees had problems with Brazilian groups that would disobey the rules and act immature just because they thought they owned the place.

If I ran the park, I would put the gap at 12 years old. At that age, I knew how to behave. If the kid is causing trouble, I would have them leave like any other guest.  

HHN is very adults oriented. If you wanna get in, you have to be 16. I would also put a disclaimer before entering the park explicitly stating that you are entering an adult environment and you are responsible for your maturity. But I think at that age, kids will finally grow a spine. That way we won't repeat last year's problem again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know all too well about this subject. I won't be getting into that, but I will say that this is a debate that may never be resolved. There will always be teens who act foolish, and it's just the way things are. Unfortunately, those who defy this stereotype suffer with the rest. I will say that team members can be quite rude to anyone who looks young, no matter what their age or level of maturity is.

^ How would you enforce it though? Not many teens or kids carry a legal state ID or school ID unless they have a Driver's License, so would you make that a known requirement? Also, some people look older or younger than their age.

I agree that parks aren't babysitters. But it's a touchy subject, as everyone is different in maturity.

The only reason I'd be for that is out of safety.

Reactions: William
^uhhhhh... That article didn't answer my question whatsoever. That's just Disney being very vocal about their new policy. There is still no concrete way of enforcing it. You can lie about your age on your annual pass, and if asked in person, you can lie as well. Not all kids carry or even own valid state IDs. Yes, I guess you can tell who is under 14 but you know what I mean, it's a very tricky area to judge IMO.

My issue isn't the age, as much as how those teens or kids are acting. Hell, young adults can be just as bad.

^uhhhhh... That article didn't answer my question whatsoever. That's just Disney being very vocal about their new policy. There is still no concrete way of enforcing it. You can lie about your age on your annual pass, and if asked in person, you can lie as well. Not all kids carry or even own valid state IDs. Yes, I guess you can tell who is under 14 but you know what I mean, it's a very tricky area to judge IMO.

My issue isn't the age, as much as how those teens or kids are acting. Hell, young adults can be just as bad.
What's your point? Disney already has a written policy "requiring that children entering any of its U.S.-based theme parks be accompanied by a visitor at least 14 years old," so why don't you see how they enforce it? I don't follow Disney that closely, but considering that they're the industry leader and already have a written policy in place, I'm sure Universal can follow.

As for the correlation between age and behavior, yes, that may vary between individual, but it's irrelevant when it comes to setting down actual policy. Company-wide standards can't account for particular individuals, so they try to set a fair medium that takes into account a wide variation of people. You can't argue with the government that the drinking age of 21 is too high or too low and that you should be the exception - it is what it is based on a set of statistics or guidelines that attempt to take as many individuals into account as possible.

I don't understand the fuss about this. Age restrictions aren't new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freak and transfo

Actually that incident at last years hhn was the parents fault beacuause on the website of hhn it is only recomended 13 and up beacause of its sexual rude violent and scary content so I dont think those parents should of taken those kids even if those kids could take the scarin

Can we please not bring that drama up again? Look, I think there should be a rule for age in a park. Period, the place isn't your babysitter and they need to have a Age requirement to enter.

Actually that incident at last years hhn was the parents fault beacuause on the website of hhn it is only recomended 13 and up beacause of its sexual rude violent and scary content so I dont think those parents should of taken those kids even if those kids could take the scarin
If you would've read my entire post, you would've seen that I said that THAT specific HHN incident from last year was the fault of the parents...

I'm going to ask for a general cool down on the matter, please. Everyone be civil, and let's leave the HHN debacle to the side.

On topic, Disney cannot enforce the policy, it's difficult. Cast members have little power unless management gets involved. And it's difficult to enforce because minors typically only have school ID cards, which they don't carry with them. Personally I find it stupid to let a child under 16 go anywhere alone these days. People are f$@&ing crazy in the world these days and it just isn't safe. But that's just the auntie in me talking. (I have 5 nieces, 3 nephews, and 2 goddaughters)