Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Recent Debates/Problems/Etc on Forum

We all aim for as close as we can to perfection in our eyes.

Eh... Not so much. Perfection can be seen as an egocentric attempt to attain the unerring status of the gods. So some of us mar the work to make sure it's good but never quite perfect. See: Morocco Pavilion as a good example of this mindset in theme park design.

Couple of notes..

I used to be a good guy. Not perfect or saintly, but good. And then one day I ended up with a medical condition known to be one of the most painful experiences a person can endure.

It didn't kill me, but it hurt really REALLY bad. And I kind of lost my mind. Crazy is a little different from evil though.

So I'm still not bad, I'm just not... Good. Well, "chaotic good" is how a D&D temperament chart would classify me.

And as for posting - I often know more than I'm saying thanks to the connections I made back as a goodie goodie. That results in fustration when being talked down to or contradicted by someone with no such knowledge.

And not giving a crap, I'll respond with the written equivalent of a baseball bat instead of a gentle coaxing.

To note, publicly eviscerating you and making you look like an idiot by destroying your argument with eloquence and savvy word play is not the same as a personal attack.

It just hurts cuz your ego got a bruisey-woozy. To which I say, suck it up buttercup.

Do you think you're the Joker or something? You were the first person that sprang to mind when I saw This thread.

We will be making a couple changes though that will hopefully introduce more help and planning discussions.
That would be really good if it was aimed solely at Universal, (theres so much Disney Stuff out there I don't see the point) for example, I know nothing about UOR Dining Plan (inc pros and cons), making reservations for meals, good times of day to do attractions etc. Most other sites are limited on their UOR content for planning, except maybe TP.

Drew has taken an extended break from website stuff. Trying to fix some things personally before dealing with Theme Park shenanigans.

Mike actually left to go to Pixels at the Park last Sept (or Oct?)

Felipe is wrapped up in work/school.

Basically... it may be time to address some needs for the forum and look for more help.

If you want help let me know

I'll chime in, as I've been critical of the direction things have gone.

My biggest issue is that differing opinions are being chased away. Despite Magic apparently being a cesspool (which I think is a childish them vs. us mentality), there are very different areas to it. You have the trip planning and chit chat sections being filled with the soccer moms, you have the doom and gloom filled news and rumours side, you have a series of small communities in the individual sub-forums. You can have construction threads *generally* dedicated to construction and the announcement threads for the 360th iteration of why Frozen doesn't belong in Norway.

Here there seems to be one by-line. Pro-Universal, Anti-Disney. That's all well and good, but it's amazingly irksome to wade through. There seems to be no fun discourse without it devolving into the well worn pot-shots and *everything is perfect, how dare you suggest otherwise*.

The other thing I'm disappointed in is some of the personalities that have taken it upon themselves to be the face of the forums. I loved this site for @hatetofly, I mostly left it because of someone who took up that mantle.

Which really comes down to the issue. The community here is smaller and it's hard to escape the incessant posters. There is no rational reason anyone needs to post 5-10-30 times in a thread, in a single day, re-hammering their staunch position.

I'm not sure I can agree with that, as I'm pretty sure I know the user you're referencing and I respect them and certainly enjoy their posts. This forum has it's share of issues, as does every forum. I've been here for years and while I've been fairly inactive as of late, I can say that some things can be blown out of proportion.
There is a bit of an anti Disney bias, I agree but I think more to the point is there are legitimate concerns about the issues Disney faces and the way management is running the parks.
And there is a bit of a pro Universal bias but when you take a look at the way people criticize things it becomes an echo chamber with certain groups determined to be negative about some things and some groups determined to continue a 'defense' of the parks.

Having said all that I think, while everyone here appreciates growth, I speak for at least a few here who enjoy the fact that we all know each other here. One person posting multiple times in a thread, as long as a discussion is going, is a pretty strong indicator that there is a passion felt by many here. I enjoy back and forth discussions and if that's a negative aspect then maybe I misunderstood you.
I hope I'm not coming off as harsh - I love this community, and I always want to welcome people here, so I tried to make sure that my post doesn't seem like anything personal - just my observations from my time here.

Here there seems to be one by-line. Pro-Universal, Anti-Disney. That's all well and good, but it's amazingly irksome to wade through. There seems to be no fun discourse without it devolving into the well worn pot-shots and *everything is perfect, how dare you suggest otherwise*.

I have a huge problem with this statement. I don't entirely disagree with it, just because this site skews more of a Universal crowd, and there are people that like to poke fun for the hell of it. However there are people who may have legitimate gripes in their eyes. Just because you disagree with it doesn't make their opinion "Anti-Disney". So to just generalize this site as "Anti-Disney/Pro-Uni" is a huge misnomer. I'll use JungleSkip as an example. I've seen him get pegged as "Anti-Disney, Pro-Uni" a lot where really he's critical of both. It just so happens he finds more to be critical of on Disney because he feels they deserve it in his opinion.

Also, per the idea of some.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong | Orlando United Forums

Is this what you had an idea of for 1st post info?
BriMan: Looks great.Easy to read & easy to find............................and in reference to"brianlo's" statement a couple posts above: I strongly disagree with his (brianlo) points. Differing opinions aren't being chased away. In fact, we engage in a lot of spirited and friendly discussions. That's one reason for them being so long. In one thread you might be agreeing with a particular poster and another thread you may be arguing against them. And the "vast majority" of times there's no personal animosity involved. The only problem I've seen, and it's mostly a recent problem associated with just a couple of posters, is that they'll post a openly mean, hostile, rude. belligerent comment. Absolutely no need for that. And, due to that very negative rude nature, that will invite counter punches to defend oneself, the subject or the site. There's absolutely no need for an opening, out of the blue post, be made, that's mean spirited and rude....And, on the subject of Disney, most of the negative comments echo the same negative comments being made on pro Disney sites. In fact, many of them refer back to comments being made on Disney sites. Disney's facing a lot of animosity from their own theme park community due to the decisions they've been making. If Universal was still operating with the business philosophy they had ten years ago, I'm sure the posters here would be commenting on Universal in a largely negative vein. The mood on the discussion threads are more of a result of a particular company's actions than anything else. Thus the negative SeaWorld comments when they are cutting staff & rides. But the positive Sea World comments when they've added the last two coasters. Or, if you think there's no negative Universal reactions, and everyone's fanboys, be sure to read through the Disaster/Fast & Furious thread or the Twister/Jimmy Fallon thread. I think you'll find plenty of negative thoughts posted. :lol: .....Don't blame the posters. They're only reacting to what they see & feel. After all, they're the customers, they pay the bills. Modern day corporations need to start understanding the old business advice, "The Customer Is Always Right".

Last edited:
Hey there I've hardly posted on here at all but that's mainly down to the time difference making it hard keeping up with posts.

Most of the problems I've read on here are the same you get on any forum.
You are only reading script and humour/sarcasm/jest doesn't always portray as it should.
Before posting just read it back again to make sure it says what you want it to or add an emoji.
And rather than getting offended and shout back leave it and re read it later.
We are all adults here, if you have an issue with something/someone speak to them personally or to an admin.
No one wants to see handbags at 5 paces splashed for 2-3 pages of back and forth.

Keep up the good work :)

Hey there I've hardly posted on here at all but that's mainly down to the time difference making it hard keeping up with posts.

Most of the problems I've read on here are the same you get on any forum.
You are only reading script and humour/sarcasm/jest doesn't always portray as it should.
Before posting just read it back again to make sure it says what you want it to or add an emoji.
And rather than getting offended and shout back leave it and re read it later.
We are all adults here, if you have an issue with something/someone speak to them personally or to an admin.
No one wants to see handbags at 5 paces splashed for 2-3 pages of back and forth.

Keep up the good work :)

Handbags splashed LOL

I have a huge problem with this statement. I don't entirely disagree with it, just because this site skews more of a Universal crowd, and there are people that like to poke fun for the hell of it. However there are people who may have legitimate gripes in their eyes. Just because you disagree with it doesn't make their opinion "Anti-Disney". So to just generalize this site as "Anti-Disney/Pro-Uni" is a huge misnomer. I'll use JungleSkip as an example. I've seen him get pegged as "Anti-Disney, Pro-Uni" a lot where really he's critical of both. It just so happens he finds more to be critical of on Disney because he feels they deserve it in his opinion.

And to add we do not hate Disney to hate Disney. We are disappointed in the direction the company has taken Walt Disney World as it not only is not what we fell in love with in the 80s and 90s, but we think it's going in a bad direction that'll lead to fewer attractions, higher prices, and worse guest satisfaction. We see it as cashing in on reputation for profits now. We're worried because we do care a lot about either the Walt Disney Company's offering and/or its parks. I've met people who legitimately HATE Disney, it's movies, parks, and everything.

Sorry, but I prefer the kindly, gentle OU we've all grown to love. And that's what has differentiated OU from the hostile forums prevalent on most other theme park sites. :)

Well said. I am late to this thread, didn't realize it was here because I have been so busy. In the past there have been some great debates. I have debated Disneyhead, Jungleskip, and many others. It was always friendly and not negative to everything we each said. Sometimes I was right and sometimes they were right and we never got angry at each other. In one particular case the person and I met in person we hugged, we talked, we had fun. We didn't care that on here we almost always had opposite opinions because it was friendly and never negative.

Lately there have just been negative things said about almost everything and the way it is said is not as friendly as it has in the past. There has also been hate from some people against groups like families with young kids as one example. To me that starts to turn this forum from a lot of people who debate and have fun to a forum that may no longer be fun.

I love a good debate, but shutting people down because you disagree and being negative about everything is not a good way to debate.

Just my opinion. I love this place and really enjoy talking with the majority of people here. If I ever say anything that offends someone, please tell me. We all have bad days and sometimes say things we shouldn't.

I think we all know what basic friendliness means, and I don't think it is much to ask for; though unfortunately, it often seems friendliness is the most neglected virtue.

Also, kudos to Brian for doing a good job. A lot of time people don't care and just let it go to hell. Heck, just look at Universal's own passholder face book page which is a complete mess.

I also think sometimes people are offended because they want to be offended, and then in turn have to retaliate by being more offensive. Sometimes (most of the times really), you just have to let it go :)

I think we all know what basic friendliness means, and I don't think it is much to ask for; though unfortunately, it often seems friendliness is the most neglected virtue.

Also, kudos to Brian for doing a good job. A lot of time people don't care and just let it go to hell. Heck, just look at Universal's own passholder face book page which is a complete mess.

I also think sometimes people are offended because they want to be offended, and then in turn have to retaliate by being more offensive. Sometimes (most of the times really), you just have to let it go :)

I have no problem calling out jerks. They'll just keep doing it otherwise

Yeah, I get the voices mixed up too....HTF was still pretty actively engaged in the pod casts since his "retirement":) as an insider. He just wasn't posting on the forums much until recently. I've always liked his input, plus he doesn't get snarky, or act superior. He's a genuine good guy. :thumbsup:

I second this, HTF is a really good guy and very nice.

Maddog is also an awesome person and I really enjoy his posts. Of course it helps that he lives in Pittsburgh :)

And to add we do not hate Disney to hate Disney. We are disappointed in the direction the company has taken Walt Disney World as it not only is not what we fell in love with in the 80s and 90s, but we think it's going in a bad direction that'll lead to fewer attractions, higher prices, and worse guest satisfaction. We see it as cashing in on reputation for profits now. We're worried because we do care a lot about either the Walt Disney Company's offering and/or its parks. I've met people who legitimately HATE Disney, it's movies, parks, and everything.

This is pretty much my reasoning too.

I love Disney and the parks but recently at WDW, I've felt like the prices don't reflect the value of the parks. It's got to the point now where I'm still on the fence if I want to go to WDW this year at all, if I go, it will be all out buying a 14 day ticket because I can't justify paying the gate price for one day when the 14 day ticket isn't that much more.

Weirdly, going to Disneyland last year, I had the best Disney experience I've had since I was a kid. Everything felt fresh and relaxed. I didn't feel like there was any pressure what so ever to buy anything extra. The only way I can describe it is that Disneyland is for the fans and Disney World is for the tourists.

Thank you Izzy for the kind words. :) And yes, Pittsburgh roots run deep. You can see it during a Pittsburgh Steelers away game. The stands are always filled with so much Black & Gold, sometimes it looks like a Pittsburgh home game. :)