Next Ride To Go | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Next Ride To Go

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The reason why Shrek and Madagascar were implemented in USS is because they have more pull Internationally than they do Domestically. Shrek Forever After did dismally in the American Market, but it performed great in the International Market. Universal Studios Florida is catering a lot more to than American Market. There definitely is some preferential treatment to the South American Market, but there base is ultimately North America. Madagascar made some money in the U.S., but overall it made almost 3 times as much internationally and a lot of that money is South East Asia.

I really don't have an opinion on how long Shrek will last, I said 5 years ago that Terminator 2 wouldn't last another 3 years and here we are. My point still is that an Annual Pass sleeve is not going to be what determines an attractions lasting power. Everything else we're discussing can, but an Annual Pass sleeve? Probably not.

Last edited:
I remember talk when Shrek 4-D opened that the attraction could/would be updated with new films as the franchise went on (the current attraction bridges Shrek 1 and 2, I believe).

So much for that.

That is almost always a selling point for building a 3D/4D theater. That they can change the movie often, but it doesn't seem to pan out that way :rofl:

You're confusing brochures with park maps. Park maps aren't quite as desperate to advertise on because the only way you can get them is once you're in the park :thumbs:

But either way, I'm not saying Shrek dominates brochures now...Harry Potter definitely takes that cake. My point was, Shrek was the star once BttF was removed. BttF, therefore, wasn't a heavily-marketed property which did not protect it from its demise.

To put it simply...there's a difference between which rides have heavy presences WITHIN the park and which ones have it outside of it. When tourists going to Disney World pass a billboard with Shrek on it, they may think that Universal could be a fun place for their family to try out on vacation next year (this is what Universal is counting on). It would make no sense for Universal to demolish the attraction that drove them there in between the time that family saw that billboard and booked their trip. Universal is looking to attract families. Shrek is a marketable family property with relevance and merchandise sales. Universal knows this and is taking advantage of it. It's not going anywhere anytime soon folks. If that's not reason enough to persuade you, see my post above. You guys not liking it =/= getting the axe.

Tyler you are completely correct, I totally spaced on the fact that normal sales brochures still exist. I am definitely not arguing with you that Shrek is still a pretty strong property nor that they just spent a chunk of money redoing the Donkey Meet & Greet. I think the only problems with Shrek and why they need to do something with it are how outdated it is, that you can buy the movie on DVD/Netflix/anything, and how low budget it seems now.

I know it is just wishful thinking, but I would love to see them put some new form of ride in of multiple mini-simulators. These simulators would offer you a choice of what ride-film you wanted to go on similar to those cheesy simulators in arcades. The big difference is that the ride-films would be all those that we have lost BTTF, Shrek (if it were to go in this plot), Hanna Barbara, Jimmy Neutron, and Despicable Me once that goes due to being in that cursed spot. Heck if they really wanted to they could pull off something for Jaws in there. I know it would most likely be a nightmare from an Ops standpoint and would never actually happen, but it would be nice to be able to experience the rides we lost with what could likely be a better experience and help with the nostalgia factor.

I would love that idea! I think this could also work as an attraction set up like The Land at Epcot, where there's a big building with several past attractions inside to choose from, and instead of a mix of attraction types, each one could be a different simulator (like Jaws, BTTF, Shrek, etc.), and every time a major ride or show is removed, it becomes an addition to the building. Though since it would have to be pretty big, I think it would probably have a better chance of being at a third park. In which case, I have no idea what could replace Shrek, though something certainly needs to!

Yeah I was at Universal this past week, and Twister was always 10 minutes....from Dec 25th-28th. Every time we walked by, it was always empty. And Shrek, even though I agree with you on the fact that its capacity is huge, needs either updating or something. At most, it was 35 minutes. Its storyline is just so dated and the 4D or whatever is not that great of quality considering other attractions. I would love to see Shrek go and be replaced with another landmark attraction, that would help alleviate DM. I love DM, its a fantastic movie and the ride is great. Its wait time was 150 minutes everyday this week. 150! Express was 60! Having something to help this would be beneficial I think.

I am just at a loss for words as to why Shrek would still be considered this great marketing tool for Universal. People still like those movies?? They don't seem nearly as relevant as some of the more recent animated films that have come out, like Despicable Me. Whatever happened to How to Train Your Dragon taking Shrek's place?

And I am as big a proponent of removing Twister as anyone. In the name of all that's holy, get that atrocious attraction out of our park.

I am just at a loss for words as to why Shrek would still be considered this great marketing tool for Universal. People still like those movies?? They don't seem nearly as relevant as some of the more recent animated films that have come out, like Despicable Me. Whatever happened to How to Train Your Dragon taking Shrek's place?And I am as big a proponent of removing Twister as anyone. In the name of all that's holy, get that atrocious attraction out of our park.

Seriously though, this would be such an easy fix, especially with the second film coming out this year!

I always felt the Shrek films were filled with old/lame pop culture puns and jokes, and that was when they were released. Watching these movies now seems like pure boredom to me. I don't think that any of the characters are really likeable, and the humor tends to appeal to the lowest rung of the ladder.

That being said, I could see them holding onto this for a little while. I would be less surprised if Twister or Diaster were removed/replaced. I think E.T. will also be replaced with another kid friendly ride eventually.

I always felt the Shrek films were filled with old/lame pop culture puns and jokes, and that was when they were released. Watching these movies now seems like pure boredom to me. I don't think that any of the characters are really likeable, and the humor tends to appeal to the lowest rung of the ladder.

Could not agree more.

In my eyes, the studios need the most help/additions.

These are the Rides/Shows/Areas that I feel are past their prime and need to go yesterday.

Studios:
1. Terminator - its just beating a dead horse.
2. Twister - The pre show is torture. I didn’t know they cut the wind in your face. What’s the point then?
3. Fear Factor - Way outdated. That’s a huge patch of land for an amazing new ride
4. Shrek was fun, but it needs a new storyline. I don’t know why everyone hates Shrek. He’s fun and lovable. He just needs updating every few years to make a better story. People don’t like it because they’ve seen it 900 times already. Put a new cartoon in there and its good to go again. Perhaps at Christmas time have a show that pulls in part of their Christmas special.
5. Disaster needs something. The ride was fun at one point, but its gotten boring. Preshows again are torture
6. The gigantic patch of land between MIB and The Simpsons. They have the two HHN things back there, but that’s a ton of space for something.
7. The animal show is pretty lame too.
8. I think ET needs updated. Its still the nostalgia ride. I still ride it because its fun. It could use some TLC to update it.

IOA:
1. Doom can go. Played out.
2. The gigantic stage beside Spiderman. I can’t even remember what it used to be.
3. The new games in JP are sad. I loved the big wide paths through JP under all of the trees.
4. Sinbad needs to go. Annex him and make him an amazing new addition to Potter. Because it will be by the train station; how about making it Hagrid’s place or something.
5. Redo Poseidon. Its lost too many great parts and has gotten lame too.

I bet they could stick a neat ride at the end of Port of Entry. Looking at Google Maps, there’s a huge area there right at the water that could make a great pacemaker for a ride that could be an icon? I know it would totally kill the amazing view of Jurassic Park and Potter, but still.

There’s also a nice space between Cat & the Hat and the back of Port of Entry, but it could be to service the stores there.

2. The gigantic stage beside Spiderman. I can’t even remember what it used to be.
4. Sinbad needs to go. Annex him and make him an amazing new addition to Potter. Because it will be by the train station; how about making it Hagrid’s place or something.

I believe the soundstage next to Spiderman housed the Maximum Carnage maze when IOA hosted HHN.

Also, Sinbad cannot become Hagrid's Hut because it already exists by Flight of the Hippogriff.

For me, if I was making decisions at Universal for upgrades to existing rides, the very first ride/attraction that I would change is fear factor. I dont know what I would do with it, but I would change it to some new show (but leave the theater intact). I would then upgrade MiB with a few new AA from the new movie but leave the ride pretty much the same. Other than that, I think the existing rides are in pretty good shape. I would then focus on the area behind MiB after the Potter explosion and then finally redo the Kid Zone (but leave ET).

For IOA, the biggest need in my eyes are more non wet rides. I love the wet rides, but you have three rides that you essentially get soaked on. In the summer that's great. Not so good in the fall, winter or even early spring. So if you dont want to get wet, that takes out three big rides for you. The main ride I think that needs upgrading is the RIver Adventure. It really needs a few more dinos and please fix the neck of the veggiesaurus. Next, either replace Poisidon or upgrade the ending. It would be so cool if you could actually see whats going on on the screens.

However, Uni has shown a good track record on changes/additions, so I just look forward to see what they eventually wind up doing!

Reactions: SpyderDan
Yeah I was at Universal this past week, and Twister was always 10 minutes....from Dec 25th-28th. Every time we walked by, it was always empty.

You know Twister always has a short wait because it's a people eater right? That thing can do 10 shows an hour with around 200-250 a show. I agree the pre-shows need some hardcore updates, but the capacity alone is the reason this ride still exists.

Reactions: TylerDurden
You know Twister always has a short wait because it's a people eater right? That thing can do 10 shows an hour with around 200-250 a show. I agree the pre-shows need some hardcore updates, but the capacity alone is the reason this ride still exists.

Are you sure thats why? Im pretty sure the reason it has a short line is because of a couple very vocal members on this board who have seen it several times hate it and it is therefore a terrible, cheap, cheesy, loathsome, and unimpressive attraction that is slated for demolition this year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ugh, are all the other rides over six hour waits? I'd rather tour the parking garage than wait a half hour for that ride.
Current wait times

Despicable Me: 110
Disaster: 10
E.T :20
Rockit : 50
Men In Black: 15
Revenge of Mummy: 10
Shrek: 10
Terminator: 15
Simpsons: 30
Twister: 10
Woody Woodpecker: 10