Next Gen Nintendo Console | Inside Universal Forums

Next Gen Nintendo Console

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Eurogamer/VGC Articles & Start of Thread
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
From VGC & Eurogamer (and other sources such as NateTheHate & UnivNintendo), Nintendo showed off their latest and greatest in upcoming hardware, a console potentially containing 12gbs of ram, DLSS, and possibly Ray Tracing.

From Nate:
> I specifically said they did not show press. I never said they didn't show developers. Literally, everyone noticed that I only mentioned the press portion of his tweet being wrong. Largely the same stuff, with a few things I could add, but I'm reluctant to do so; as a few of my contacts from Gamescom are pissed off that EG/VGC ran reports on this right now.

All I'll add here is that there were no playable demos, as this thread speculated. No one played Switch Successor at Gamescom. Only tech demos were shown, and some were shown, as mentioned, on hardware with "target specs" or via a video capture. To my understanding, there was no actual Switch 2 hardware on display -- if there were, it may have been a devkit but there was no final hardware shown to partners.

> Yes, but, as reported, it was shown on hardware targeting Switch Successor specs and not Switch Successor itself. Such a demo would be beneficial to Nintendo in the sense it shows that the hardware could do --when using DLSS features-- & aids Epic to market UE5 as a viable option to partners making games for the device.

I have a few details about how it ran on the target spec hardware -- but am reluctant to share such details right now.

From Resetera--Nintendo Switch 2, codenamed NG, is going to have two versions.
  • Physical version - 449$
  • Digital version - 399$

I’m suspecting this gets revealed June/ July and gets a holiday release or a March release - with Metroid Prime 4 being the Switch’s swan song and the Switch Attach’s launch title

Things I want and don't expect but would want

Old Pokemon games on VC and a way to transfer the Pokemon you get to the newest game when it comes out
Online improves alot and becomes more like PSN/Xbox Live
A way for More Third party games to be on the system, a Pro version or something
More ways to connect your power bands to the Switch, even if its just for exclusive avatars and backgrounds

The people over at GameXplain made a pretty good point. If Metroid Prime 4 is a no show at next months Direct it’s very likely that it moved development completely to the Switch 2. This is their last chance to show it off for the OG Switch.

Reactions: chris.g
The people over at GameXplain made a pretty good point. If Metroid Prime 4 is a no show at next months Direct it’s very likely that it moved development completely to the Switch 2. This is their last chance to show it off for the OG Switch.
Gut tells me it is gonna be given a Smash treatment of being the big “Holiday” title.

It’s been the Fable of the Nintendo Switch in the terms of being at the beginning, think Nintendo is gonna use that to their advantage. If anything I think Pokémon is gonna be the Breath of The Wild of the Nintendo Switch—as the Swan Song to end the first party support.

Reactions: Mike S
Gut tells me it is gonna be given a Smash treatment of being the big “Holiday” title.

It’s been the Fable of the Nintendo Switch in the terms of being at the beginning, think Nintendo is gonna use that to their advantage. If anything I think Pokémon is gonna be the Breath of The Wild of the Nintendo Switch—as the Swan Song to end the first party support.
Unless the Switch 2 has some crazy new features they won’t even need to do a dual release for Pokémon like they did with Breath of the Wild assuming the next console is backwards compatible which it should be.

Unless the Switch 2 has some crazy new features they won’t even need to do a dual release for Pokémon like they did with Breath of the Wild assuming the next console is backwards compatible which it should be.

I suppose a good time to talk about it as any; but from what it seems a lot of the features that are being implemented are more apt for that of a proper "Successor" model.

Backwards Compatability, 4K/1080p, and a emphasis in graphics over that of being a toy. It seems like Nintendo is pivoting to do a more "Nintendo GB/GBA" or "Nintendo DS/3DS" of successor based consoles in focusing on getting better hardware specs.

Reactions: Mike S
I suppose a good time to talk about it as any; but from what it seems a lot of the features that are being implemented are more apt for that of a proper "Successor" model.

Backwards Compatability, 4K/1080p, and an emphasis in graphics over that of being a toy. It seems like Nintendo is pivoting to do a more "Nintendo GB/GBA" or "Nintendo DS/3DS" of successor based consoles in focusing on getting better hardware specs.
Which is what it should be. They found their winning formula and honestly I think this is where the industry is going to be heading. Heck, we have rumors of an Xbox handheld and Sony coming back to the ring as well. Mobile technology is only going to get better and better and I think hybrids is where the future lies. PC handhelds are even a thing now. I could see a future where a traditional TV box becomes more of a high tier model for those who want the biggest games but most games are made to work on the hybrids. This would serve another purpose as an offset of ever increasing game budgets. The industry won’t be able to sustain itself if every AAA game costs $300 million to make.

If anything the rumors for third party support seems to be an exciting one.

Midori (girlboss who has been doing accurate rumors and leaks of Atlus/SEGA project) has spoken that all of the "SUPER" games from SEGA (Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio Reboot, Shinobi, Golden Axe, and Streets of Rage) will be coming to the Nintendo Switch 2 natively. Midori has also spoken that Persona 3 Reload and Re:Fantasio will additionally be coming to the new console too.

There are also rumors that Square is working on ports of FFVIIRemake and Rebirth for the console too.

If anything the rumors for third party support seems to be an exciting one.

Midori (girlboss who has been doing accurate rumors and leaks of Atlus/SEGA project) has spoken that all of the "SUPER" games from SEGA (Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio Reboot, Shinobi, Golden Axe, and Streets of Rage) will be coming to the Nintendo Switch 2 natively. Midori has also spoken that Persona 3 Reload and Re:Fantasio will additionally be coming to the new console too.

There are also rumors that Square is working on ports of FFVIIRemake and Rebirth for the console too.
The last one isn’t believable since it’s been confirmed that Sony paid for console exclusivity on the FFVII games. Also none of the rumors put the Switch 2 at a close enough power level to the PS5 to be able to run Rebirth.

The last one isn’t believable since it’s been confirmed that Sony paid for console exclusivity on the FFVII games. Also none of the rumors put the Switch 2 at a close enough power level to the PS5 to be able to run Rebirth.
The console exclusivity only goes to a certain period of time I believe (also could've sworn the rumors have put the Switch successor to be around that of the PS4 Pro. It'd be downscaled; but I think it'd be more possible than you give it credit).

The console exclusivity only goes to a certain period of time I believe (also could've sworn the rumors have put the Switch successor to be around that of the PS4 Pro. It'd be downscaled; but I think it'd be more possible than you give it credit).
If it was for a certain amount of time that must be a very LONG time as Remake hasn’t come to another console yet.

I think MP4 has to be the swan song. It was announced as far back as the switch was. It will definitely be the launch title for the successor too.

I think MP4 has to be the swan song. It was announced as far back as the switch was. It will definitely be the launch title for the successor too.
I’m hoping it’s just an exclusive showcase for the successor. I’ve waited this long and I know I’m getting it day 1 so I’d rather see it at the absolute best it can be right now.

The timeline of it restarting development at the beginning of 2019 fits with it being potentially developed alongside the new console.