Minion Café - USF | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Minion Café - USF

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Why do people think it’s weird to have the Minions upfront? People do take a right sometimes when entering, and the Minions is one of their most relevant franchises. Plus both rides can be done by anyone of any age group. I’d say for the space they got this is perfect.

Reactions: Ahmanet
Why do people think it’s weird to have the Minions upfront? People do take a right sometimes when entering, and the Minions is one of their most relevant franchises. Plus both rides can be done by anyone of any age group. I’d say for the space they got this is perfect.
Because theme park fans have been conditioned to only accept a Main Street-like area at the front of the park.

Minions up front is great. It's weird because until one reaches the cafe, the theming of the area is arguably the worst in the park. When Uni was ostensibly a "behind the scene" look at the film industry, the soundstages made some sense as the first thing presented to guests. Now they are utterly unrepresentative of the park as a whole (or of the very successful Minions IP).

Reactions: Ahmanet
but it's such an odd entrance statement lol
We can't complain too much, because the USF entrance has never been a great first impression, really, but this project certainly isn't solving that.

Most theme park fans understand that a good entrance sets the over-arching theme/tone for a park
Correct. It certainly doesn't make or break a park, but I'd rather have an area that evokes something about a park's purpose in an interesting/engaging way than not.

I’m entering Universal Studios.

I see Minions Land, and two attractions that take place in decorated soundstages.

Because I’m now in Universal STUDIOS.

Where I expect to see soundstages.

…..

Normal people do not care
In that case, why should any theme park ever go above and beyond in terms of detail? "Normal people" won't care, so why bother?

Great theme parks should attempt deliver a level of theme that "normal people" didn't even realize they wanted or could even hope to expect. Small details, individually unnoticed, can add up to a whole even greater than the sum of the parts.

And I'm not even saying that USF, overall, is failing to do that! I just said that a Minions Land with a couple of lightly-themed soundstages is not, to me, an ideal first impression land. Production Central wasn't, either.

Normal people do not care
Oh come on, of course they do. That’s why Uni has been spending so much money and effort on building fabulously detailed themed lands like Diagon. Most guests might not register every detail in the same obsessive way fans do, but they realize a difference between, say, the entrance area to IoA and that of the Studios, and it impacts their impression of the park.

As to the “Studios” moniker, everyone on these boards understands that the park’s overall theme has completely shifted from opening day. The “behind the scenes” conceit of the Backstage Tour and Alfred Hitchcock and Earthquake and the like is almost completely gone, leaving behind only a few vestigial elements, most notably the now out-of-place sound stages.

If they wanted to integrate the sound stages, they could have made the area Minions Studio, but they again took a lazier option because they wanted to use pre-existing design elements.

The cafe looks great. It’s an improvement over the Monsters Cafe despite my preference for the Monsters. But the big lightly themed tan boxes remain an issue in the modern Studios.

Oh come on, of course they do. That’s why Uni has been spending so much money and effort on building fabulously detailed themed lands like Diagon. Most guests might not register every detail in the same obsessive way fans do, but they realize a difference between, say, the entrance area to IoA and that of the Studios, and it impacts their impression of the park.

As to the “Studios” moniker, everyone on these boards understands that the park’s overall theme has completely shifted from opening day. The “behind the scenes” conceit of the Backstage Tour and Alfred Hitchcock and Earthquake and the like is almost completely gone, leaving behind only a few vestigial elements, most notably the now out-of-place sound stages.

If they wanted to integrate the sound stages, they could have made the area Minions Studio, but they again took a lazier option because they wanted to use pre-existing design elements.

The cafe looks great. It’s an improvement over the Monsters Cafe despite my preference for the Monsters. But the big lightly themed tan boxes remain an issue in the modern Studios.
Genuinely curious - but what would’ve been your preference on how they handled it?

Genuinely curious - but what would’ve been your preference on how they handled it?
Three thoughts:

1) In an ideal world, “Stage V” is torn down entirely and replaced by a custom-built and themed structure housing an AA-focused Minion dark ride. But Uni doesn’t want to spend that money, so how about:
2) Minions Studio. The little yellow guys have taken over a movie studio. Minionized film backdrops - western, sci-fi, etc - line the queue for Blast. Figures of Minions on camera rigs, Minions with boom mics, etc. are scattered about. Minion Cafe is Minion Comissary.
3) The very minimum option - you continue the Minion-ized town motif established by the cafe by lining the exterior of the queues for Mayhem and Blast with 2 story, slightly 3-D facades of stores and houses (sidewalk space is an issue, so they have to be quite shallow). The stages still loom but the ground level is thematically cohesive - perhaps you paint the stages blue as Uni did to the backside of Transformers.

Three thoughts:

1) In an ideal world, “Stage V” is torn down entirely and replaced by a custom-built and themed structure housing an AA-focused Minion dark ride. But Uni doesn’t want to spend that money, so how about:
2) Minions Studio. The little yellow guys have taken over a movie studio. Minionized film backdrops - western, sci-fi, etc - line the queue for Blast. Figures of Minions on camera rigs, Minions with boom mics, etc. are scattered about. Minion Cafe is Minion Comissary.
3) The very minimum option - you continue the Minion-ized town motif established by the cafe by lining the exterior of the queues for Mayhem and Blast with 2 story, slightly 3-D facades of stores and houses (sidewalk space is an issue, so they have to be quite shallow). The stages still loom but the ground level is thematically cohesive - perhaps you paint the stages blue as Uni did to the backside of Transformers.
Sorry to hijack the question… I would’ve done “Minion Studios”

Reasons..
-Keeps that movie studio theme
-Could follow the same budget but feels a tad bit more fitting and less forced
-The sound stage look would actually make sense

I don't disagree that maybe Minion Studios could've been a better name - but at that point, aren't we splitting hairs?

As far as the other options, the problem is not just budget but space and timeframe. Rollercoaster Tycoon is fun when there aren't limitations.

I don't disagree that maybe Minion Studios could've been a better name - but at that point, aren't we splitting hairs?

As far as the other options, the problem is not just budget but space and timeframe. Rollercoaster Tycoon is fun when there aren't limitations.
Anything bigger than what they’ve currently done is quite unrealistic. But I must say, I love the art-deco look that was leaked with the DreamWorks theater Shrek replacement.

Why is lining the queue with shallow facades and painting the stage unrealistic?

And the Minion Studios thing isn’t about a name, it’s about cohesive theming that integrates the stages.