Mardi Gras 2017 | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Mardi Gras 2017

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
31891506244_427a4284d6_b.jpg

32734617115_9b6052da7b_b.jpg

31891507064_c9a2a9e29a_b.jpg

32694342646_03d9f9c859_b.jpg

Reactions: JoeCamel
Quick thoughts from tonight:
  • New floats look great! Kept the popular ones (Gator, French Quarter, Crewe, and Steamboat) and ditched some of the new ones from recent years (surprisingly even last year's additions).

Agreed, big fan of the Greek/pegasus one and the fairy one. Nice to see them get back to the tradition of new floats/theme every year. Also, random observation, but it would be so easy to cut the horseback King and Queen, save some cash, but I appreciate that they keep them every year. Like HHN, you can tell the designers and performers take a lot of pride in this event.

I do think with the event is getting bigger - as this was probably one of the busiest opening nights I've seen/can remember - they may need to expand on the French Courtyard; possibly adding seating. Expand it into Delancey?

Personally I was shocked it wasn't as busy as I expected given opening night and gorgeous weather--Finns never got HHN-level slammed and I walked up to my usual spot 5 minutes before parade time to find I was only one person deep. Concert seemed busy, but I always thought Adkins was a draw to demographics who don't frequent OU/Theme Park Twitter. I'm curious to see how much of a crowd some of the concert-free weeknights pull.

Lack of seating by French Courtyard is annoying, I ended up using Monsters Cafe patio.

And a more pesronal one.... Brazillian tourists need to not be at Mardi Gras. People get a little overzealous as it is for the beads. They took it to another level.

x 1000. Letting their kids cut in front of crowds, run into bushes, run into the street. Security really needs to step it up in that regard.

Reactions: Brian G.
Just a follow-up, went Thursday night. Park was dead during the day but parade route was about one-person deep either way I could see at kickoff, got even a little busier as parade went by.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it was the full parade--seemingly all the dancers, stilt-walkers, even the horses. I half-expected just floats. The only cut-back seemed to be in volunteer bead-throwers. My buddy had a spot on the Jester float that usually holds three all to himself, Alligator float also seemed a little sparse. My guess is trouble recruiting people.

A shout-out to the performers, they came out full of energy like it was a packed Saturday night ... and still had that same energy at the end of the route, dancing, high-fiving, etc. For me, best parade in any Orlando park by far.