Knott's Berry Farm | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Berry Farm

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Man something about California and butthurt crybabies go along, they really need to learn to say no, we won't change because you're triggered. 

It sucks because I actually wanted to see this

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all. There was nothing that signified them trying to portray mental illness, the experience was about a "patient" they had that had telekinetic powers, not even a mental illness. The people offended were so by the number in the title, it seems. This could have taken place in a regular hospital. 

Reactions: Aaron and chris.g
They guy who (in effect) shut down Bill & Ted forever still has some notoriety - even if few remember his name. The "offended" become some kind if hero in many circles. I suspect that others are hoping for that kind of recognition. The "Bill & Ted" guy (whose name I DO remember but will not say) tried to get The Hanging shut down in 2014 and failed. People will keep trying. It is much easier to tear down than it is to build.

Every year, I feel like we all go through the same motions. Someone gets something shut down, and said community or fan base gets upset at it. Rinse and repeat.

I am hoping and praying that the Exorcist will not be next on the PC list. Please don't let that get canceled before I have a chance to see it. 

I'm sorry, but don't most Haunts have a disclosure in regards to the theming of their event(s) that equates more or less to "due to the images/graphics/scenes/implied doom etc...this event is recommended to adults/no on under 12-13/or those sensitive to a pretend blood/screams/dismemberment/adult oriented themes and jokes, cry babies or easily offended, or just plain cant suck it up and take a joke".

Okay so maybe not based on actual disclosures but more of a wish-list....

Ugh...

To play devil's advocate a bit, there can be credibility to the fact that mental health should be treated in a respectful way.  It is a serious problem that genuinely affects lots of people and their families (in fact, I have a relative who suffers from mental illness).

But that said, the "mental institutions" depicted at Halloween events are obvious gross exaggerations, and certainly not meant to be taken literally.  Anyone who does so clearly has issues about separating fiction from reality.

Anyone who does so clearly has issues about separating fiction from reality.

Of course, but at the end of the day, those driving for these closures are usually vying for attention. I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not this attention is positive or negative, but their point is to ruffle feathers.

What frustrates me is that very rarely - if ever - will corporations reverse their decision when it undergoes public scrutiny. Why the fan community continues to get upset at this I have no idea. If you truly want to make an impact and air your displeasure at a company's decision, don't go to the event. Creating these petitions and writing editorials will do very little to change what Cedar Fair or even Universal have decided is the best short term solution. I've been guilty of this before with the Bil and Ted fiasco, but I learned very quickly all these words mean very little in the long run.

In fact, the more we complain, the more attention we're giving to those who seek it in the short term. Regardless of whether or not this attention is positive or negative, attention is publicity and the mere fact that we're having a discussion on mental health means that we've managed to discuss something on their terms. If you truly want to make a cause or group irrelevant or powerless, ignore them. There's nothing worse to an attention seeker than to simply move on without addressing their claims.

Otherwise, we're set to repeat this again next year, and the year after that.

Every year, I feel like we all go through the same motions. Someone gets something shut down, and said community or fan base gets upset at it. Rinse and repeat.

Basically, this. (also your follow-up post as well)

The only surprising thing is that the ones who shut something down was Cedar Fair, not Universal. CF usually stands strong but I can see where press-wise they screwed up. Something's gotta give in this situation. 

As it was an upcharge VR attraction, I guarantee you that something with a different theme but generally the same idea will be back next year. The money is too hard to pass up.

Thanks - curious, what did everyone think of the general takeaways? I know people have read it, but I'm curious if people agree or disagree with the comparisons made against Halloween Horror Nights.

Coming from a longtime HHN fan of eight years, I feel like your comparisons are valid. HHN is great, but I feel like they're missing out of becoming REALLY great by expanding their creativity a little bit. I understand that HHNH is a branded event, but not everything at the event has to be branded. Sure, give us our favorite horror films and shows, but a good original concept would be fantastic to see. Could you imagine what they could do with digital mapping? Aerobatics? Original theming? That would be something really cool. 

Knott's has been stepping up a LOT lately. You can see that with Paranormal and Shadowlands. I feel like the Red Barn got the leftover scraps of Jon Cooke's big budget bonanzas. I like how Black Ops, Shadowlands, and Paranormal have offered very unique and high quality houses that HHN just could not do that has just as good production value (IMO). If you took out the pre show element and slapped it right in the middle of HHN, I think people would love it. In that sense, I feel like Knott's has been my fix for haunt creativity. I would be great to see HHN get in on that.

Coming from a longtime HHN fan of eight years, I feel like your comparisons are valid. HHN is great, but I feel like they're missing out of becoming REALLY great by expanding their creativity a little bit. I understand that HHNH is a branded event, but not everything at the event has to be branded. Sure, give us our favorite horror films and shows, but a good original concept would be fantastic to see. Could you imagine what they could do with digital mapping? Aerobatics? Original theming? That would be something really cool. 

I disagree completely, because this is not HHN's targeted audience (not that I disagree with seeing those types of effects being put to use). There's a reason Knott's is good at their own game and HHN theirs. 

Reactions: Aaron and Jon Fu
I disagree completely, because this is not HHN's targeted audience (not that I disagree with seeing those types of effects being put to use). There's a reason Knott's is good at their own game and HHN theirs. 

Yeah, I'm sort of in this camp.

While there are certain production traits that are universally good, I think Universal and Knott's choose to focus on their strengths rather than on their weaknesses. Horror Nights has always used an artist or big name to attract attention to their original houses, but even then, these houses usually aren't ranked very high. You can argue that they aren't creative enough, but most guests resonate with the big properties.

Now, I will agree with the point made about Horror Nights' creativity. I think 2016 has been their most innovative year to date, but there are certain things that Universal seems hesitant to touch. It could very well be their signature, but their reluctance to touch large scale projection mapping and any floor effects leaves me sort of puzzled.

Too lazy to link, but Screamscape has posted a rumor....well, two rumors that could be true. 

First the popular rumor: Boomerang may leave for a new coaster. Then there's another one that I hate. They may keep Boomerang but with better trains and put a flat ride in where RipTide was. 

Another very disturbing rumor they posted that I hope and pray is not true is that they may get rid of Montezooma's Revenge for a new coaster. If that happens I will be CRUSHED. It's a great ride and a classic. That may invoke me to not renew my pass. Unless the replacement will be amazing, they better leave it alone. It's a very small amount of space and the ride works great for that. 

Either way, it sounds like there will definitely be a coaster planned since there is word of heavy construction going on for a new one.