June 21 Announcement | Inside Universal Forums

June 21 Announcement

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
Universal City, California, June 14, 2016 – Stop the presses. On Tuesday, June 21 at 10:30 a.m. ET / 7:30 a.m. PT, Universal Studios Hollywood will share exciting news as The Entertainment Capital of L.A. invites everyone to tune in for the latest happenings at the world-class theme park and adjacent Universal CityWalk.

WHEN: Tuesday, June 21, 2016

TIME: 10:30 a.m. ET / 7:30 a.m. PT

WHERE: HERE

Any guesses?

Last edited by a moderator:
A part of me thinks that we are getting SLOP announced (which, isn't a surprise)...but the fact that PR is coming out for giving a date for a big announcement; combined with Citywalk, it makes me believe that we are getting the next phase of the Epic Transformation of USH announced.

The question is, besides Slop; what else gets announced?

The Walking Dead Attraction has yet to open, it's not even summer yet with the brand new Wizarding World, Secret Life of Pets is most likely at least delayed in construction and the film has yet to debut itself (talk about getting way ahead of themselves), and I highly doubt Universal would blare their trumpets a whole week in advance about a Pitch Perfect stage show shrouded in secrecy. This has not only cloak and dagger written all over it, but a sense of importance. They mentioned BOTH the theme park and CityWalk.

...and consider the fact that the Fung Lum spot has had some recent activity. 

Yup, my guess: we're getting Volcano Bay.

Just kidding! :lol:  It's gotta be a RESORT HOTEL! Most likely with a wonderful theme... Cabana Bay West would be a dream come true, but I'm hoping for something original. It'll obviously not be huge, but I'm sure Universal wouldn't make a big deal out of this unless they really think they have something special. Excited...

Best guess is either an official announcement of the Pets ride, or because this just happens to land on the 20th Anniversary of Jurassic Park the Ride, and announcement of that being fully refurbed as Jurassic World.

Reactions: FBarnhill
If they made it a point to reference CityWalk, I'm guessing it could also be a new hotel.

That makes sense. What does curious me though, is that they are going at a very similar time like when Potter was announced to come to Hollywood; just only by thirty minutes.

I can see them announcing SLOP, Resort Hotel and maybe something else..something that strikes twice.

I can see them announcing SLOP, Resort Hotel and maybe something else..something that strikes twice.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves: remember the facts. June 21st is the second day of summer, with a brand-new land and another announced attraction yet to come in the very near future. It's shooting themselves in the foot to announce a whole slew of attractions this early on.

What can you announce that is both a huge deal and not something that would deter families from not delaying their trips to next year? That's a highly-themed resort hotel, a first for Universal in California. Personally I think this sounds exciting by itself, but I understand why some may not, especially for a park that caters to many locals. We may not want to get our hopes up too much.

Reactions: BernardMesa
We may not want to get our hopes up too much.

And I get that; but I see it as that they wouldn't be putting PR's this early just to give a date to announce a Resort Hotel and SLOP. And if i'm wrong, well; that's fine. In my head, I would think that you can give a tease to the announcement of SLOP and the Hotel a few days before, not a week in advance.

And I get that; but I see it as that they wouldn't be putting PR's this early just to give a date to announce a Resort Hotel and SLOP.

I'm sorry... you don't think a resort hotel is a huge deal for Universal Studios Hollywood? The one single component that they're missing to become a vacation destination? 

(also don't count on SLOP being announced yet)

Reactions: deadbydawn
I'm sorry... you don't think a resort hotel is a huge deal for Universal Studios Hollywood? The one single component that they're missing to become a vacation destination? 

(also don't count on SLOP being announced yet)

I'm not saying that it would be a huge deal, but in my head; I just don't get why you would want to give a date to a hotel announcement a week before. Even if it is a big deal for the property; it'd be over a few years since we first heard of their potential ambition to do a Hotel; when the Evolution Plan got approved.

I'm not saying that it would be a huge deal, but in my head; I just don't get why you would want to give a date to a hotel announcement a week before.

Because Univesal clearly views it as the one thing they're missing. To them this could essentially be the crowning piece to solidify themselves as a real serious competitior to DLR from now on, if Potter didn't already. This is something that Orlando has been benefitting from for years that has yet to make itself available here. 

I think the most important thing to look at is the verbiage of the PR and consider the timing. A week seems right and the hotel seems like a big enough deal. It's their first, it makes sense for them to be celebratory about it.

Probably SLOP, but hoping for an announcement on USH Epic Transformation Phase 2. If phase 2 includes City Walk, all I ask from them is COWFISH!! Here's what I think phase 2 would include:

(I'm probably asking for too much <_< )

1. New hotel
  2. Redesigned Lower Lot
  3. Diagon Alley
  4. Secret Life of Pets
  5. City Walk Refurb
  6. More trees in Hogsmeade ;)  (I wish)

Reactions: Imdbman
I'm not saying that it would be a huge deal, but in my head; I just don't get why you would want to give a date to a hotel announcement a week before. Even if it is a big deal for the property; it'd be over a few years since we first heard of their potential ambition to do a Hotel; when the Evolution Plan got approved.

I can absolutely see this being for a hotel. Secret Life of Pets doesn't even come out for another month, so I'm not sure why the would announce a potential attraction before the film even hits.  

Reactions: Ryan
As far as the theme park goes, it sounds like SLoP, Diagon, and possibly a JPRA make over will be announced. 

As far as CityWalk goes......new restaurants? That's all I've got. 

I find it somewhat ironic if that's the case..for reasons beyond comprehension.

Hotel and Citywalk expansion... if that's not true then I don't know what is! 

But seriously I love Citywalk, would love to see it get bigger and better. 

Reactions: Ryan and Alexshow.
Thinking about it, they may pull CityWalk into this as well, although you've heard a good deal of it already. Good time just to go, "Yeah we're overhauling the whole thing, and here's a few things you aren't aware of!"

I don't think there will be any announcements related to the actual theme park itself.