Islands of Adventure with Small Kids? | Inside Universal Forums

Islands of Adventure with Small Kids?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dec 17, 2023
We'll visit Orlando for the first time with kids (5yo, 7yo) for 4 days. We'll be 3 days in Disneyworld and consider if it's a good idea to go to Islands of Adventure in the last day. The kids do not like thrill rides so only slow / non-scary are an option.
  1. Is there enough for them to do in Islands of Adventure for a day?
  2. Is it worth while staying at a Universal Resort to get early entry? It is a busy week (weekend after Presidents day).
  3. Which hotel would you recommend? Ideally with easy walking to the park, and also hotel that would be nice to stay in for a couple of hours before our late evening flight (we will not have the room anymore).
Thanks!

I would normally ask for height, but when you said no thrill that doesn't really matter. There is Suess land they would enjoy and there is a playground in JP they would like. But if they don't even like kiddie coasters, then the kiddie one in HP wouldn't work for them. Do they like spinning? There is a spinning one a little faster than the cups at MK. I assume rapids rides are out? There is a rapid and water drop one that isn't scary, but it could be considered thrill.

I will also say child swap works differently at Uni, in some ways it is better, but if your kids can't handle scary the lines on some rides you want to do child swap may not work. Everyone goes thru the line and then there is a waiting area for the parents to swap. It is much faster as parents because you don't go back thru, but I know sometimes my kids didn't like going thru some of the more scary lines.

I personally would look at the list of rides offered at IOA and ask them if they would ride it. That is what we typically do when looking at new parks. But my kids will do coasters, but not all coasters at all ages. So my 6 yr son won't do ice breaker that is too high for him, I debate with him about this since he will do infinity falls which is just as high lol. But I give them the control to decide. Some stuff they don't like because they consider it too baby. So we decide based on that whether the park is worth it.

Reactions: Jake S
Considering you're still left with the options of doing all of these plus some of the interactive shows, I'd say so:

• The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
  • Storm Force Accelatron
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride
  • Caro-Seuss-el
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
  • Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges
  • Skull Island: Reign of Kong
  • Pteranodon Flyers
  • Flight of the Hippogriff

Considering you're still left with the options of doing all of these plus some of the interactive shows, I'd say so:

• The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
  • Storm Force Accelatron
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride
  • Caro-Seuss-el
  • Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges
  • Skull Island: Reign of Kong
  • Pteranodon Flyers
  • Flight of the Hippogriff
Skull would be too scary and if they don't like thrill that may even eliminate Flight.

I did forget about Flyers, but it depends as some kids have fear of heights. I am not sure if my son will go on that one or not. Guess I will find out soon. Yet, he will happily go on many roller coasters, he is a funny boy.

We'll visit Orlando for the first time with kids (5yo, 7yo) for 4 days. We'll be 3 days in Disneyworld and consider if it's a good idea to go to Islands of Adventure in the last day. The kids do not like thrill rides so only slow / non-scary are an option.
  1. Is there enough for them to do in Islands of Adventure for a day?
  2. Is it worth while staying at a Universal Resort to get early entry? It is a busy week (weekend after Presidents day).
  3. Which hotel would you recommend? Ideally with easy walking to the park, and also hotel that would be nice to stay in for a couple of hours before our late evening flight (we will not have the room anymore).
Thanks!
There are quite a few attractions at Islands of Adventure that are slow and non-scary:
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • Caro-Seuss-El
  • The High In The Sky Seuss Trolley Train
  • Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges
  • Storm Force Accelatron
  • Pteranodon Flyers (could be a good introduction to heights)
  • Camp Jurassic
Considering that you plan on visiting IOA for only one day, I would 100% recommend staying at a Universal hotel to gain access to early entry. The Universal hotels that have an easily accessible walking path are Portofino Bay, Hark Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific, Sapphire Falls, Aventura, and Cabana Bay.

Portofino Bay and Hard Rock are the closest resorts to the parks, so it's about a five-minute walk to CityWalk. Royal Pacific is roughly a ten-minute walk. Sapphire Falls is roughly a fifteen-minute walk and because Aventura sits on the same plot of land Sapphire sits on, it's roughly the same amount of walking time. Cabana Bay has a walking path, but it is incredibly long and I would not recommend using it. The resort shuttles are better.

Portofino Bay, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific, and Sapphire Falls all have water taxis, which is a very nice amenity when your body is worn out lol.

I hope you find this info useful!!

Thanks Everyone! Is it better to have a day at Epcot over Island of Adventure for this age (and non-thrill requirement)? We'll already be 2 days in Magic Kingdom, one in Animal Kingdom and 0.5 in Epcot.

Thanks Everyone! Is it better to have a day at Epcot over Island of Adventure for this age (and non-thrill requirement)? We'll already be 2 days in Magic Kingdom, one in Animal Kingdom and 0.5 in Epcot.
I'd say it depends on how much your kids get out of rides versus how much they get out of the overall park experience. Epcot probably has more traditional dark rides for kids, and I'd rate most of those rides (yes, even that one) over something like The Cat in the Hat. But I think Islands of Adventure is a much more enjoyable overall park experience for kids when it comes to atmosphere and just general navigation. Outside of the rides at IOA, you have multiple great play areas (Me Ship The Olive, Camp Jurassic, If I Ran the Zoo), the wand interactivity at Potter, and, if you're going during the holidays, The Grinchmas Hooliday Spectacular, which is a must do. Honestly, if Islands just had one or two more indoor rides / things to do for kids, I would recommend it more wholeheartedly.

EDIT: I'll also say, don't underestimate the amount of time you could get out of Camp Jurassic. It's undoubtedly one of the best playgrounds ever built. I've seen kids easily spend 1-2 hours there.

They both have the same amount of non-thrill rides and since you are already going to Epcot I would say IOA is worth a shot. As others said the playgrounds and atmosphere are good.