Inside Universal on Threads | Inside Universal Forums

Inside Universal on Threads

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It took me a minute to remember what Threads was. But, GREAT move! emoji-beer.gif

It took me a minute to remember what Threads was. But, GREAT move! View attachment 19164
No need to remember, the party is just getting started! Only been open to the public for less than 8 hours and already almost 10 million users signed up.

If they want Threads to succeed though they're going to have to make posts able to be shared the way that you can share tweets though. Things like this aren't cutting it. There’s a photo on this post.

or perhaps it’s just coming up as a link because they haven’t made it possible yo embed individual threads yet?

Last edited:
They'll get there I think! My opinion is that they had this product in the works but rushed the launch and cut nonessential features they'll add in later to take advantage of the chaos around Twitter. We have some real competition in social lately with Mastodon vs Bluesky vs Threads vs Twitter which is exciting to see!

They'll get there I think! My opinion is that they had this product in the works but rushed the launch and cut nonessential features they'll add in later to take advantage of the chaos around Twitter. We have some real competition in social lately with Mastodon vs Bluesky vs Threads vs Twitter which is exciting to see!
Mastodon is too convoluted for the average person to be a true alternative. Haven't checked out Blue Sky yet and quite frankly don't really care too. Threads will be around whether people like it or not and I think it will be theplatform that we see celebrities and brands prefer. It's just about making sure they listen to what the users want out of the platform and hoping they implement features.

As someone pointed out, having Threads connected to Instagram was a brilliant move. IG has over 1.5B active users/accounts and every single one of those can be turned into a Threads account since they made it super easy to set up you Threads account though Instagram in only a few steps.

Zuck has also laid out his approach to monetizing Threads. Essentially, get on a path to 1B active users before ads.
IMG_0100.png

Mastodon is too convoluted for the average person to be a true alternative. Haven't checked out Blue Sky yet and quite frankly don't really care too. Threads will be around whether people like it or not and I think it will be theplatform that we see celebrities and brands prefer. It's just about making sure they listen to what the users want out of the platform and hoping they implement features.

As someone pointed out, having Threads connected to Instagram was a brilliant move. IG has over 1.5B active users/accounts and every single one of those can be turned into a Threads account since they made it super easy to set up you Threads account though Instagram in only a few steps.

Zuck has also laid out his approach to monetizing Threads. Essentially, get on a path to 1B active users before ads.

I hope you're wrong about Mastodon but unfortunately I think you're right! Otherwise I'd agree that Threads being able to tap into an existing social graph is a great head start but ultimately you still have to make a compelling product. I think I'm a lot more bearish than you are about it. I see a company that hasn't been able to launch (not acquire) a compelling product in a long long time. I see Threads as a product, not a feature even if it is bolted onto Instagram to try to solve the cold start problem.

But we'll find out! Maybe in a year or two I'm looking back on these words and wondering how I got it so wrong betting against the Zuck!

I hope you're wrong about Mastodon but unfortunately I think you're right! Otherwise I'd agree that Threads being able to tap into an existing social graph is a great head start but ultimately you still have to make a compelling product. I think I'm a lot more bearish than you are about it. I see a company that hasn't been able to launch (not acquire) a compelling product in a long long time. I see Threads as a product, not a feature even if it is bolted onto Instagram to try to solve the cold start problem.

But we'll find out! Maybe in a year or two I'm looking back on these words and wondering how I got it so wrong betting against the Zuck!
Just wanted to post this from the head of IG. He mentions what they are working on going forward and acknowledges a lot of missing features at the moment.

IMG_0102.jpeg

I hope most of the prominent lemmy instances all defederate from this trash. That being said I hope Elon loses all his twitter investment. At least zuck is smart enough to hire all the ex twitter devs that hate Elon and are motivated to destroy him. Meta has the ad dollars already behind this fork which is why all the influencers and celebs are willing to move over. There is no money for them in mastadon. I think at least reddit has made the fediverse a pretty viable community with a solid core userbase,

I hope most of the prominent lemmy instances all defederate from this trash. That being said I hope Elon loses all his twitter investment. At least zuck is smart enough to hire all the ex twitter devs that hate Elon and are motivated to destroy him. Meta has the ad dollars already behind this fork which is why all the influencers and celebs are willing to move over. There is no money for them in mastadon. I think at least reddit has made the fediverse a pretty viable community with a solid core userbase,

Meta has made it publicly clear that they didn't hire anyone formerly from Twitter, last I checked.

Great! Hopefully Bio gets his straightened out...

Hopefully things have been sorted, or are in the process. Would be great to get him properly in one platform.

Reactions: Nick
Hopefully things have been sorted, or are in the process. Would be great to get him properly in one platform.
He posted after that post I believe that it's basically not happening and Meta won't even let him appeal it anymore. Of course, he could come over to Threads and IG still and just create a slightly different username. I understand that's not what he wants, but it's not like he can never come over to the platform.

I personally wouldn't rush though right now if I was him anyway. As is right now, Threads is still very much a work in progress and you cant zoom in on pictures at this point which is a feature I use on Twitter a lot when looking at photos from bio.

Reactions: Nico
What I find funny about all this

Is Elon fires all these people and then another company hires you to make a better product. I don't know why anyone would be upset about this....this is how the free market is suppose to work.

What I find funny about all this

Is Elon fires all these people and then another company hires you to make a better product. I don't know why anyone would be upset about this....this is how the free market is suppose to work.
No that didn't happen either. Meta did 3 rounds of layoffs this year. Losing over 20,000 employees. Meta is a much more dangerous company to flock to. They collect and sell the most amount of user data. Even when you're not on their site or app their collect your background searches and websites visited. I will never join threads. I've deleted all meta apps. This is so dangerous to fangirl over these evil corporations destroying our privacy.

No that didn't happen either. Meta did 3 rounds of layoffs this year. Losing over 20,000 employees. Meta is a much more dangerous company to flock to. They collect and sell the most amount of user data. Even when you're not on their site or app their collect your background searches and websites visited. I will never join threads. I've deleted all meta apps. This is so dangerous to fangirl over these evil corporations destroying our privacy.
Word.

I only trust @Brian G. With my mothers maiden name and make and model of my first car

Reactions: Nico
I'm not fangirling but Twitter is doing a lot of things to make the app worst then what Threads is now.

I just want a place I can go for breaking news, Musk wants people to have to pay for checkmarks and limit how many things you can look at.

The data stuff I agree is not great but every App does it, not defending it but name a major app not collecting your data?

I'm not fangirling but Twitter is doing a lot of things to make the app worst then what Threads is now.

I just want a place I can go for breaking news, Musk wants people to have to pay for checkmarks and limit how many things you can look at.

The data stuff I agree is not great but every App does it, not defending it but name a major app not collecting your data?

The checkmark isn't needed for anything.

And the whole post limit thing lasted about a day. That had nothing to do with getting people to pay. Data scraping is a big deal right now and all of these tech companies are looking to address it. Look what's going on with Reddit right now.

Reactions: mccgavin
I'll say my Twitter usage has gone WAY down since Threads has come out. It needs a lot of updates still, but they seem to be actively working on them and should be debuting some of them - including a free edit button - in the coming weeks based on what they've said.

Once the kinks get ironed out and government accounts sign up on it (and of course Bio can get on there) then honestly there's not much reason for me to use Twitter. I find Threads to be a much better, less toxic user experience so far.

I think the demand to leave twitter is huge but it comes down to the influencers and celebs that drive views getting paid by the advertisers. Threads being an easy migration lets them leverage the same advertisers. waiting for the elon firesale to buy more tesla stock.

Reactions: Jerroddragon