Hollywood Drive-In Mini Golf | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Hollywood Drive-In Mini Golf

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Wow, I'm happy and surprised that they're going for the B-Movie horror/sci-fi theme. I'm really digging the direction Uni has been taking themselves.

You think we may see some concept art on the 19th?

Last edited:
^ I think so.

I am so happy for this! :happy:

The mini-golf experience will definally be something new to try. I can't wait to explore both themes with all the tech stuff! :lol:

Last edited:
Hmm.. HOW are they going to fit 36 holes in that space? Was it ever confirmed by Uni that that space behind the theater is definetely for the golf course?

Yes by this report from Orlando Sentinel:

Universal Orlando has announced the addition of movie-themed miniature golf courses that will be incorporated into its Universal CityWalk entertainment district. Construction of Hollywood Drive-In Golf — two, 18-hole courses – is slated to start this summer and be complete early next year.

The courses will be located below the first level of CityWalk, next to the AMC Cineplex, and visible from the walkway that connects CityWalk and the Universal Orlando parking garage.

The look of the courses will be inspired by 1950s horror and science-fiction movies. Universal says it has planned elaborate theming for its courses, which will be called “The Haunting of Ghostly Green” and “Invaders from Planet Putt,” which will take players through a flying saucer, into a graveyard, near a giant spider and into the basement of a haunted house. It will be open day and night, Universal says.

“We created Hollywood Drive-In to be fun and different and something everyone can enjoy,” said Ric Florell, senior vice president and general manager of resort revenue operations. “We used creative theming and state-of-the-art technology to take the experience to the next level.”

Here's a little map of the usable space for the golf course. Even if the used all the space I've highlighted, a 36 hole course is still pushing it.

untitled2.jpg

I just noticed something from the article:
and into the basement lab in a haunted house.
Is it possible that parts will be underground, hence the basement part? That would add more room, since you could still add a hole above it.

I just noticed something from the article:

Is it possible that parts will be underground, hence the basement part? That would add more room, since you could still add a hole above it.

They would probably have to layer it. Most golf courses need to stack on top of itself anyway, and 36 hole gold courses almost always do so. But this is actually an okay piece of land. I have a 36 right by my house and it's 3 stories, and can only fit about 3 hole length wise and 2 holes width wise (and that may be generous). This will fit, but it will be tight and deifinitely stacked.

If you look at a lot of the footprints for the 16 hole courses on I-Drive a large number are much smaller than that land. Yes, we are talking about a 36 hole but I think it will be multi leveled. At that I'm almost certain of it.

Wow, at first I thought early 2012 was so far away. I didn't realize that meant like only in 8 or 9 months. :lol:

I can honestly say with zero exaggeration that this is the most excited I have ever been about a mini-golf course. I think this will probably change the way I and others think of mini-golf and what can be done with an idea of one. I can't wait to see how they pull off the theming, I'm sure they'll rock it out of the park!!!

The graveyard part could be on the first Floor, enclosed and dark, and then have the Sci Fi built up on top.
That way Uni could still have players if it was raining and the courses would be reasonably sized.

i can see it fitting but tight for sure. would they build some under the moving walkways?
umg.png
umg2.png

Last edited:
Oh, wow! I didn't realize it was that small! Well, for comparison, here's a picture of a pirate themed 36 hole near me:

Screenshot2011-05-12at100219PM.png

castaway-cove-310x213.jpg

It's probably about the same size as Universal's area (not counting under the bridge or on the other side), but it isn't as themed as this one will be and it's 3 stories. Unless Uni doesn't mind a really tall course, they're going to have to go under the bridge and around the front; past the Bubba Gump sign.

Last edited:
After comparing Winter Summerland and Fantasia Gardens to the rumored area, it's going to be a really tight fit for the courses.