Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 31: Descendants of Destruction

Apr 18, 2018
81FC53FA-AA51-4228-AB13-416B8CA150D4.jpeg

Deeper. Darker. Deadlier.

Careful not to leave any of your scream squad behind as you descend the subway tunnels of a deserted New York. Lurking in the dark are hungry mutants looking to feast on the last remnants of humanity.

From the Discover Universal podcast:

You're going down into the New York subway system where some of the survivors are. The house is kinda broken into thirds. So you're seeing more human survivors, then you see them as they're mutating, and by the time you get to the end, they're all just these nasty creatures and same thing with the lighting and power. It's all solar panels and you go into battery operated and then you go down where there's no lights. Just the luminescence of strange mushrooms and subterranean things. The creature design on this one is top notch from our makeup and costuming team.

Really looking forward to this one, especially with the whole idea of it being a spiritual successor to Seeds of Extinction (I also love that the title is basically just SoX run through a thesaurus lol)

Most anticipated house for me, hands down. I hope it captures the raw grittiness that Seeds had. I love the New York locale and broken Subway cars and station architecture can lead to some insane scares if they play it right. This feels like the most grounded and serious house at the event currently, and honestly one of the most grounded we've had in a long while, maybe since Seeds or Dead Exposure in 28. I do enjoy some fun campy horror, but 29 and 30 really did feel like they were missing a house like this.

It seems like the house deals with a pretty long time period. I feel a pit in my stomach thinking about this house that’s similar to the dread I felt watching “Don’t Look Up”… the eventual death of the world, and humanity’s best efforts to save itself being fumbled at all tries, is a specific and deeply sad fear for me, so it’ll be interesting to see how they translate this time jump and the sadness of decay with jump scares.

What did that F150 do to deserve that?

Seeds of Extinction reference was fun.

Really cool set design and scares at the end for sure.

4/5 - House of the year easily

The subway train that the tilted one is stacked upon is the one you see in the first room. That set piece basically runs down the exact middle of the tent so they are probably using every vertical inch they have there. It is so impressive and they seem to keep pushing how big and intricate they go in there. Super impressive. Love it as well. This and Pier will be battling it out for HOTY.