HHN 2022: Scarecrow: The Reaping | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 2022: Scarecrow: The Reaping

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
The first import concept from Orlando, Scarecrow: The Reaping has come to Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood!

Scarecrow: The Reaping will be located at the Curious George parking deck, at Curious George 1. Some of the designs consist of the following:

Attachments

• 1659230088917.png
    1659230088917.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I saw this and knew the name sounded familiar.

I am not an HHN buff, and someone can please tell me otherwise, but it seems like Hollywood does less and struggles with original concepts? Why is this?

It seems their most successful original is Hollywood Harry?

I am not an HHN buff, and someone can please tell me otherwise, but it seems like Hollywood does less and struggles with original concepts? Why is this?

It depends.

Holidayz in Hell is a really fun romp that allowed the creative teams to flourish with the contrasting holidays featured, and La Llorona is a goated house for a reason.

Scarecrow is the first import since Jack The Clown (yes, it's been a decade and a half), so I'm very interested to see where Hollywood takes from Orlando and where it doesn't.

I know it won't be exactly the same. But Scarecrow is the house that I missed that I've always been sad about. I'm very happy to get to experience a version of it finally!

I honestly think its just a lack of practice. Murdy has said in the past they avoid doing originals because functionally every other haunt in the SoCal area does them, so relying on IPs makes them have a separate identity from a place like knotts. In the roughly 16 years since the events revival, theyve only done about 6 originals with absolutely no primary IP tie in (not counting this year). And, even then, 3 of those had music tie ins or voiceovers from outside artists as a selling point, and 3 were based on well known public domain urban legends and holidays. I think it all kinda ties back into their desire to have some kind of recognizable tie in for the general public to latch onto even if its not an IP, since I've heard guests say things like "Holidayz in Hell? What movie is that based on?" more than a few times around the event.

Last edited:
I’ve had the privilege of getting to check out Orlando’s house from 2018. It was stellar! While I don’t think the house will match the same intensity and detail that it had, I’m at least confident that this will be one of the better houses! Looking forward to seeing Hollywood’s take on the concept!

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet, but I hope Hollywood continues Orlando’s hiring and only staffs the tallest in these roles.

I have only seen POVs of the Orlando house, but those left me incredibly excited. One of the best originals they could have chosen. But do we want to see this become a trend, with Orlando houses being repeated? I was hoping this would be a sequel or spinoff

Im surprised they would borrow something from Orlando, I think Murdy said he wanted to stand on his two feet.
I mean to be fair, it seems like they're borrowing from orlando in name and basic theme/time period alone, the plot sounds like a significant change.
Frankly, I have a feeling the only reason it even shares a name is because the trademark is still licensed, and its better to use it while they can rather than needing to default to Scarecrowz or somehing.

I mean to be fair, it seems like they're borrowing from orlando in name and basic theme/time period alone, the plot sounds like a significant change.
Frankly, I have a feeling the only reason it even shares a name is because the trademark is still licensed, and its better to use it while they can rather than needing to default to Scarecrowz or somehing.

Trademark?

Trademark?
I mean universal has to at the very least temporarily trademark the names for any original content they do, it's the reason we've had so many scarezones with names that end with a Z, because it's easier to trademark. My assumption is just that the trademark for "Scarecrow: The Reaping" hasn't expired since 2017. Just an assumption though of course, I obviously don't know the behind the scenes logistics.

Honestly, as someone who experienced HHN Orlando their first 9 years attending, then the following 6 years with Hollywood (only missing last year), I have no issue with an Orlando original being done here

Everyone seems to forget that Orlando got Alice Cooper & La Llorona because of Hollywood. So it's only fair.

Parts of the scene concepts have me flashing back to props/sets from TCM & Roanoke :look: It should be a solid experience.

Also the plot concept of scarecrows turning people into scarecrows makes expect a DM overlay: MINIONS: THE REAPING :bolt:

It actually looks like they are borrowing some the aesthetic from the first scenes from Wicked Growth, which is also a great choice. I'm hoping for lavish scenery all throughout.

Def think this is my most anticipated. The Hotel one intrigues me as well, maybe once I see some concept art, but since it's a semi-Evil Dead overlay, I'll keep my expectations at bay. I think Scarecrow just has the potential to be pound for pound the most scary environmentally and with characters. Everything about it just kinda sounds awesome and spooky.

Me seeing Scarecrow: The Reaping in the forum list :clap:

Me seeing it’s for Hollywood :thud:

Hopefully they do it justice because it’s one of my all timers

Reactions: 4hartthreat