HHN 2022: Most Anticipated House | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 2022: Most Anticipated House

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Most Anticipated House?

• Halloween

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Universal Monsters: Legends Collide

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Horrors of Blumhouse

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • La Llorona: The Weeping Woman

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Scarecrow: The Reaping

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Universal Horror Hotel

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
Blumhouse for sure. Two strong properties.

And despite my stance on originals, I have high hopes for Universal Horror Hotel. It would get my second place vote.

This probably the first time where I struggle to decide what my most anticipated house is.

I’m really excited to hear The Weekend being played, but I want to know how UCM story continues. Also Terror Tram is interesting for me surprisingly since we get to walk in the NOPE set. , Horror Hotel looks so good! I’m a huge sucker for vintage Hollywood horror stuff and Tower Of Terror, this is something I looking forward to as well. Finally, La Llorona, a house I saw as a kid through YouTube thinking it was the most terrifying thing ever, and now I get to experience it as an adult!

It really is a strong year considering there doesn't seem to be a weak pick among the whole roster. Can genuinely say there's something about each of these mazes I'm excited about. However if I had to pick just one it's Scarecrow, seems to benefit from a strong concept and I know the Hollywood scare actors will keep insane energy throughout. Honorable mention to La Llorona for resurrecting an all time Hollywood classic as well as Legends Collide for giving the Mummy the spotlight.

It was really hard to decide which two houses I'm thinking of would be my most-anticipated....but here's what I decided on:

1) Universal Monsters: Legends Collide: This is my most-anticipated house as Murdy always knocks it out of the park with the Monsters houses. Universal Monsters in 2018 might be my favorite Hollywood house ever and Bride and FMtWM are pretty good follow ups. This will be the first Monsters house where Frankie won't be in it (He needs a break) and will deal more with an Egyptian theme than a gothic theme. Count me excited for this! Looking forward to what Murdy does with the Mummy!

2) Scarecrow: The Reaping: This is a very close second on my anticipation list. I had the privilege of getting to go through the one from Orlando in 2017 and still remains as one of my favorite Orlando houses to this day. It was very intense, in-your face scary, and had outstanding set work. While I don't think this will be quite as good as the legendary house from 28, I am interested in seeing Murdy's rendition on this. Hopefully it will at least try to recapture the intensity and claustrophobia that Orlando's house had. But I'm excited to see an Orlando original ported over here!

3) Hollywood Horror Hotel: Not a fan of the name, but I'm really happy to see Hollywood branch out with original content here. This is my third most anticipated for two main reasons: 1) I'm really interested to see the inside of TWDA building now that it's been gutted. Curious to see how they utilize it for a house and 2) I have no idea what the heck to expect except for the likely reuse of the Hotel sets from AHS. It'll be really cool to see Murdy's take on a 1930's hotel.

4) The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare: I'm sure this will be fun, but the last time HHN did a straight-up music-based house was when they did Black Sabbath....and it sucked. I really hope they're not going to make another 3D house here and the neon scenes will be used sparingly. I have no idea what the heck to expect but I'm sure it will be fun hearing Blinding Lights in here. It just better not be another goofy 3D house.

5) The Horrors Blumhouse: Loved Black Phone but there isn't much to work with here. Haven't seen Freaky so I might watch that. Curious to see how they pull off the video store. I expect the Black Phone segment to be very short. My least-anticipated of the new houses.

6) La Llorona: The Weeping Woman: My most-anticipated of the repeat houses. The one from 2011, to this day, remains in one of my all time favorite house HHNH has ever done. It's been a decade since they've done it so it will be great for the next gen to be able to check it out! Sadly, I don't think this will be nearly as good as the space will keep it from having the legendary lake scene.

7) Halloween: *Sigh* Give Michael a break. It's basically going to be the same as the 2015 house baring some changes. At least it has potential of being better than the 2015 rendition.

8) Killer Klowns from Outer Space: Same as 2019. Big whoop. Loved it in 2019 but.....ugh repeats.

And of course Terror Tram. It is what it is.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
9) Halloween - I'd be excited if they moved forward to 3, 5, 6, H20, Resurrection, even Rob Zombie's iterations, or especially the new ones but what do they give us? The first one AGAIN. C'mon guys, C'MON.
8) Killer Klownz - Depending how much they change, this could be fun. If it's the same exact thing, it may be even less exciting than Halloween. I'm hopeful at the very least for new shenanigans.
7) Terror Tram - I'm really excited to walk on the NOPE set. This also means the tram is getting the biggest extension since they cut out that one hill after Bates Motel. Should add some extra life into it to at least give it a fun finale.
6) The Weeknd - I don't like musician mazes and I especially don't like UV light mazes. Depending on execution, this could very well be dead last on my ranking, but I'm remaining neutral for now on expectations.
5) Horrors of Blumhouse - Not excited at all for the properties they picked since Freaky was okay as a movie and Black Phone didn't have too much to work with, but if anything, I'm excited to experience the tone for The Black Phone since it has some potential.
4) Universal Horror Hotel - Okay, everything here on up I am pretty EXCITED for. I'm holding my expectations low on this one because it was being done last minute to cover up Evil Dead. If this was an original plan, this honestly would be number 2 or even 1, but for now, I'm down for it and interested in seeing the old TWDA space being utilized.
3) La Llorona - Oh baby, I can't wait for the newbies to see this one. Absolutely one of my favorites and I welcome her back with open arms. I think the space may force the maze to get creative and I hope it doesn't pull any punches on the disturbing nature it used to be.
2) Universal Monsters: Legends Collide - The last few UCM mazes have been GREAT. I expect nothing less from this one, especially being in my favorite old school venue.
1) Scarecrow - Let the Halloween spookiness commence! I've always wanted a scarecrow themed maze at HHN ever since KSF did Cornstalkers because even that maze was VERY creepy, and I just know that HHN can pull it off to be even creepier. There's something about scarecrows that really work for me, aesthetically and creep-factor wise.

9.) Horrors of Blumhouse: This is the one and only maze I can say im truly meh on. My opinion might change, since as of right now I've only seen The Black Phone and havent gotten around to Freaky, but this really isn't doing it for me yet. Freaky seems really fun, but I'm mostly worried about how they'll handle Black Phone, since it could very easily be exorcist 2.0 with a repeat of the same basement intermixed with black hallways with the grabber jumping out at you. I could be wrong, but I think Hollywood's aversion to do more theatrical show scenes will make this maze suffer.

8.) Halloween: Good ol mikey. I'll admit, this should probably be higher. Michael is probably my all time favorite slasher, and growing up a few minutes away from South Pas with a lot of older adult acquaintences having connections to the original film, it always holds a place in my heart. Not to mention Michael Myers Comes Home was technically my first maze ever if you don't count terror tram in 2013, since I was too scared to do anything else and missed out on 2014, so thats kinda doubly a reason this maze should be more exciting for me. Granted, I am still very very excited for it, this might be the highest budget version of the original film we've seen adapted into a maze yet, and thats really exciting to me. I think its just between everything else coming this year, and the fact I get to see orlando's this year too, it falls a bit behind for me.

7.) Killer Klowns: Ah klowns, my beloved klowns. I feel really bad putting this as low as it is, but my bias for this year is heavily skewed towards things I haven't seen before, so it ended up falling a bit to the wayside. Despite that, I know for a fact I'm gonna have a lot of fun here. This was my favorite maze of 2019 by far, and I'm sure seeing them back will be a treat. Granted, this isnt the original-sequel that was assumed early on, and I would have probably preferred that, but assuming we have a few new scenes and everything spruced up a little with the higher budget, I think I'll live.

6.) The Weeknd: This is another one I'm a little ashamed of putting so low, but to be honest, I think I'm just more excited for the orlando version. I don't know why exactly, but when i think of "The Weeknd house" the first one that comes to mind is the orlando one to me, I guess maybe since they might be similar my brain just goes to the one on the trip I'll be taking first, but I could really use some info on how these two coasts separate this house from each other before I start to get excited.

5.) La Llorona: A repeat, but one from before my time. My first year was 2013, so I missed coming face to face with the weeping woman by a mere 12 months, but I'm certainly happy that I finally get the chance now. To be honest, it's still a little bit middle of the road for me, but I think that might just be due to how excited I am for certain other things. Location also really helps boost this one for me, since placing this among the Dia de los Muertos plaze and El Plueblo Del Terror makes for a really nice compact mini-land mashing folklore and tradition, and that kind of cohesion is just something you really don't see often. Feels really special.

4.) Universal Monsters Legends Collide: I really struggled not putting this higher, but a few other things took my attention a bit. Every single Monsters maze on this coast has been an easy top tier from the start, and to be honest I really don't expect this one to be any different. I would not be remotely surprised if this maze shoots up the ranks and trumps some of my higher spots (lookin at you, Terror Tram), but for now this is landing a little bit in the mid range. To be entirely honest, I feel like wolf man needs a bit of a rest in these mazes, but dracula and mummy have been severely underutilized, and that kinda keeps things on track for me. Similarly, the fact that this is a part 2 to orlando's story tells me that they're really trying to ramp up their storytelling even beyond Bride, which to me was maybe a pinnacle for telling a comprehensive story in a Horror Nights maze, so that's pretty exciting.

3.) Terror Tram: Featuring Nope and Us (and Hollywood Harry): I know, I know. I'm really playing with the fires of disappointment here, it's tram, and tram is always tram. But, I really love Nope. I saw it opening weekend and ever since, it's been festering rent free in my head. Now, I have no idea how theyre gonna pull this off, since Nope in itself seems like it would be unadaptable to this kind of format, and my greatest fear is that they just won't even try, and they'll say "you got to walk on the Jupiters Claim sets, thats your Nope part" and sure, getting to walk those sets with my own two feet is probably gonna be a joy, but I really hope they push it further. To be honest I think this is kind of a doomed position, since at this point with how I feel about the movie, anything short of being literally sucked into the sky would probably be a disappointment. Oh well, i like hollywood harry and Us well enough.

2.) Scarecrow the Reaping: This maze has a few things going for it that make me super biased towards it. Number 1, I'm a total sucker for outdoorsy farm horror, a lot of what we've seen just in terms of visuals honestly strikes me as pretty similar to a treatment for a home haunt I made that never came to pass. Number 2, hearing about this one's reputation years back in orlando, and not being able to make it out there up until this year, I can't even fault them for a reuse of a theme, I'm just happy to get a crumb of orlando's past on this coast. Hopefully it lives up.

1.) Universal's Horror Hotel: Once again, my bias shows itself. Similar to scarecrow, I've got a bit of a history with hotel themed haunts in my personal life. However, my anticipation for this isn't pure nostalgia, similar to what I said elsewhere, this is one of the first mazes in a long time at hollywood thats felt truly original. Granted, the feeling I have now is very similar to what I felt back when Pandora's Box was announced for the first time. The vague title and sparse details really let anticipation get a bit out of control, and while I didn't hate it, I was a bit disappointed, and I really don't wanna repeat that. Despite that though, I've got a bit of faith here. Plus it's technically similar to a soundstage house so it's got that going for it I guess.

Mine's gonna be an odd one out, mainly since 2021 was my first year
1. Killer Klowns - I know I'm alone in this placing but man I love this movie and I was disappointed finding out they did it in 2019 thinking I'd never get to do it. Very excited to do this and very happy they are bringing it back though I get why many are not
2. La Llorona - Really excited to experience it. I think I'm more nervous for this one than Bugs in Orlando, which is saying something. Just sounds very unsettling
3. Scarecrow - Love the concept, heard it was great in Orlando so hopefully Hollywood gives it justice
4. Monsters - Love the Monsters, loved Bride, love that they're bringing in the Mummy. I know that these are Murdy's passion projects so I'm hoping it'll deliver. The facade is fantastic already
5. Weeknd - This one is hard for me to place. If I weren't doing Orlando as well it would probably be higher. Really interested to see how they pull this off
6. Hotel of Horrors - Really hoping they had enough time to put something good together here. At the very least I'm very sold on the concept, so if I hear it turned out good this will probably go up. Also I refuse to call this Horror Hotel, I mean the easy homage to Hotel of Horrors was right there
7. Terror Tram - Very excited to walk the NOPE set, and no matter what this should turn out better than the Purge.
8. Halloween - Hard for me to place, I'm excited to do this one but not as excited as the others. If TT didn't include walking through Jupiter's Claim this would def go above that
9. Blumhouse - Expecting this one to be pretty bad tbh. Black wall ending already spotted and I just have very low expectations. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Houses/Terror Tram:
1 - Scarecrow The Reaping - With this for Orlando being for them, one of the best houses they've made according to the many individuals who have talked of it, alongside
2 - The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmares - I feel it coming. This is the reason (well, one of two) that I decided to come back. Goes to hell is right next to Us and La Llorona in that, I genuinely have loved how Murdy took the concept of a singular album, and shaped and molded it to fit in as well as it did for HHN. And Abel Tesfaye's album of After Hours has so much potential. I wish Snowchild was in, but that does not stop my excitement.
3 - Universal Horror Hotel - Shocking to me, but I have this higher than Terror Tram and La Llorona. Dunno why, but I am very curious and excited how this shift from an IP house to a Original (with lore connections to characters already established) does for me. Especially with this being something seemingly in Murdy's mind since 2010 at the earliest.
4 - Terror Tram - Jordan Peele. Us barely scratches La Llorona as my GOAT, and if he's fully onboard creatively, I am super excited to see how Murdy and Peele curate this story. Especially given NOPE's themes and how well they can work for Harry.
5 - La Llorona: The Weeping Woman - Ah. The Goat. How fun is it that you are number five, and yet, I'm just as excited on you as I am for Scarecrow, UHH, and Weeknd. Bring it on.
6 - Universal Monsters: Legends Collide - So this is where I'm excited, but I got burned out from my horrid runs with Frankenstein vs. The Wolfman on. Really hoping they scare the bedonks out of me.
7 - Halloween - For my first time with Mikey boi, I think this is here primarily because I admittedly don't have an idea what to expect. Well, not entirely. Really interested where this one lands.
8 - Killer Klowns From Outer Space - You are here because I have experienced you once. Only once. But I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was fun as hell. Can't wait to see you again (and pray that we see Klownzilla)
9 - The Horrors of Blumhouse - It's funny. I'm not really with high expectations, but I am genuinely interested here. The Black Phone is in my top five for the year currently, and I loved the film very much, and I think Freaky works really well. But this might share the similar aspect to Mikey boy, but with the element that I know people haven't really been as fond of the houses.

Really solid year in anticipation for me. Scarecrow and The Weeknd feel solid in the anticipation lists.

9. HALLOWEEN: It feels like Michael Myers is back every year at the event, and naturally he needs a break. I am excited that the house is based on the original classic, but with a great lineup this year, I'm looking forward to this house the least.

8. KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE: This house was my second favorite in 2019, and if we had to have a house repeat, this is honestly a great choice. The contrast that this house provides compared to most others is enough to make this unique and creative.

7. TERROR TRAM: I've always found the terror tram to be very weak in scares and underwhelming, every single year. This year's tram surprisingly has me intrigued. The layout seems different and longer, which is great. However, I'm mainly ecstatic about walking in the NOPE set. Although I am looking forward to it, something in the back of my mind tells me it may disappoint again.

6. THE HORRORS OF BLUMHOUSE: I didn't particularly enjoy the past Blumhouse mazes, but this one has some good selections. I've seen Freaky and thought that the movie was merely alright, but has some cool kill scenes and environments that could be incorporated. As for The Black Phone, I loved the movie when I saw it in theaters, but am curious how well it would adapt into a house format. Also, the Waterworld queue rarely has top houses, so again I'm reserving judgment.

5. UNIVERSAL MONSTERS: I really thought Universal Monsters would be higher on my list, but nonetheless, I cannot wait to experience this maze. All three of the previous Universal Monsters houses have been in my top three of their respective years, so it wouldn't surprise me if this one follows suit. The original idea behind this is fantastic, and the Mummy queue always great houses.

4. UNIVERSAL HORROR HOTEL: The fact that we know so little about this maze has me very intrigued. I love great original ideas, and this one has a lot going for it that can make it a top tier house. But, the reason its right in the middle of my list, is because TWDA house was shorter in length than regular horror nights houses and this could even end up turning like another Pandora's Box, which would be severely unfortunate. This is the wild card of this year's event.

3. LA LLORONA: This house was at the event before my time, but I have only heard great things about it. It seems scary, intense, gruesome, and creepy. I cannot wait to experience it.

2. THE WEEKND: I really enjoy listening to The Weeknd's songs, especially Blinding Lights. Everything that has been revealed about this house seems awesome, and the best part is that it takes place in the soundstage. These past couple of years, the soundstage houses have been some of the worst we have seen at the event, so I'm hoping Weeknd can break that curse.

1. SCARECROW: Ever since this house was announced at Midsummer Scream, I have been extremely stoked for it. I love a good classic Halloween idea, and everything that was revealed about this house by Murdy seemed to be fantastic, from the costume design to the house layout to the history and time period.

9. The Horrors of Blumhouse: Chapter 3 - I like both Freaky and the Black Phone tho other houses I am more excited about!
8. Killer Klowns From Outerspace - Don't care if it's a 1 to 1 repeat, the house was very fun back in 2019 and was my #1 maze that year, so I'm excited they are returning!
7. Terror Tram: Hollywood Harry's Halloween - Like the Traditional Halloween aspect they are going for and near that we will be able to walk on thru Jupiter's Claim!
6. Universal Horror Hotel - Mostly intrigued by this one, can become another classic original like La Llorona or a letdown like Pandora, we will see!
5. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide - Banger after Banger the Universal Monster Mazes have all been Amazing, this one should be no different, and judging by that FACADE, it may be one of the best!
4. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare - Would be my first Music house and it's one of the biggest music artists! All I really want from this house is to be blinded by some strobe lights XD.
3. Halloween - Michael is just a homie so there is some bias to this one, The 2015 one is my favorite house of all time so let's see if this one can improve upon it especially since it has a better location now!
2. La Llorona: The Weeping Woman - I remember watching the POVs for the 2012 iterations way back when I was little, so getting to experience it firsthand will be a blessing!
1. Scarecrow: The Reaping - From the facade to all the Info given to us at Midsummer, this is looking to be one stellar Original, coming from the East to the West, Scarecrow!!!

1. SCARECROW: THE REAPING- I just don’t see how this concept can fail. Something as simple as possessed scarecrows wreaking havoc on an abandoned homestead means it all comes down to the execution (haha). Between the proven history in Orlando and the renowned energy of the Hollywood cast, this is sure to be an all timer.
  2. THE WEEKND: AFTER HOURS NIGHTMARE- Murdy’s long love affair and affinity for musicians at the event is basically a staple of Hollywood by now, with houses and soundtracks from Slash, Alice Cooper, Figure, Rob Zombie, and Black Sabbath. This is the wild card for me, I’m hoping it’s closer to Welcome to My Nightmare than 13: 3D in terms of grand sets and inspiration from the lyrics and videos. I also just hope it’s a blast, as a fan of haunted houses and the Weeknd, I think this has the chance to take the event to new places creatively.
  3. LA LLORONA: THE WEEPING WOMAN- Legends return! An all time great returns to Halloween Horror Nights. Every detail seems to be dutifully recreated, even down to the narrator voice actor, nice!
  4. UNIVERSAL MONSTERS: LEGENDS COLLIDE- Frankenstein is taking a sabbatical this year. Super stoked that they’re leaning into the mythological aspect of some of the monsters and making it a battle royale. Hopefully this will yield lots of double/triple scares.
  5. UNIVERSAL HORROR HOTEL- Another wild card: last minute replacement? New venue? Original property? Very curious to see how they utilize this space, and to see how long it is in comparison to the others.
  6. THE HORRORS OF BLUMHOUSE- The Black Phone and Freaky I thought were great choices to feature at Horror Nights. Plenty of gruesome kills in Freaky and varied settings to recreate. Black Phone has an excellent horror villain in the Grabber character and all the variations of his mask, but splitting both movies into half could either work for or against them.
  7. KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE- A repeat of one of my favorite houses from 2019? I’ll save it for last if I run out of time.
  8. HALLOWEEN- I’m so sick and tired of the same four slashers at the event. Where’s Hellraiser, Scream, Malignant? At least it’s based on the original movie and not one of the bottom of the barrel sequels.
Honorable Mention
TERROR TRAM- This is always essentially just adding a little flavor to a walking tour of the backlot sets. Switching things up by ending in Jupiter’s Claim should be a fun addition though.

Last edited:
OK finally had time to fully rank. I haven't looked at any previews or anything, I want to have as clean of a slate as possible.

9. Killer Klowns -- I love this maze, but with it being so recent I have a hard time getting super excited. I'll hit this opening night but if it's as much of a carbon copy as people seem to think, I probably won't revisit it on subsequent trips.
8. Halloween -- I fully believe this can be a great, plussed-up house in the way TCM was last year, but my excitement is still pretty low at the moment. But it's definitely one that could end up in my top 3, depending on how they execute.
7. La Llorona -- Put me in the rare category of people who don't revere this maze. I liked it a lot, but I don't have these insanely fond memories. We'll see what it's like.
6. Scarecrow -- Wish this was a true original and not just a riff on Orlando. Still, I am curious to experience this based on how much everyone on the east coast loves it.
5. The Weeknd -- I don't listen to his music but some of the imagery and content is pretty intriguing. I'm excited about this because I have no idea what to expect.
4. Horror Hotel -- Same with this, no idea what I'll be walking into. The promise of a true original is enticing, and while there are some obvious hangups with this space, I do think the infrastructure is unique and provides a promising template for some cool stuff, if they make the effort.
3. Terror Tram -- Specifically the Jordan Peele portions, but honestly the whole thing is going to be good, I think. And I really hope that's the case because I want the Tram to be the "line eater" it used to be.
2. Universal Monsters -- These ones are consistently great and this has easily my favorite facade of those we've seen, so hoping it translates to an equally great house.
1. Blumhouse -- Two strong properties with lots of amazing set pieces. Kinda like the inverse of Halloween, though, I could see this absolutely tanking in my final ranks if it comes off as repetitive (Black Phone portion specifically). Still, my hopes are high because I love IP and I love what Murdy does with IP.